+ Reply
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Can't download app updates

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Iphone 4 CDMA - iOS 5.1 Tethered Jailbreak. Starting to think a jailbreak on iOS 5 is more hassle then what it was worth. Never had any problems with my
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Can't download app updates
    Iphone 4 CDMA - iOS 5.1 Tethered Jailbreak.

    Starting to think a jailbreak on iOS 5 is more hassle then what it was worth. Never had any problems with my 3gs & iOS 4.

    Anyway, today I've started getting a "Unable to download "xxx" app" then have two choices to either retry or done. I can download new apps fine from the app store. Have been able to delete all of the "update" apps and redownload fresh from the app store and it works.

    The only thing I've found online was to check the permissions of the download directory with iFile. I've done that and both are mobile/mobile. As far as I can tell that's the only fix I've found. And normally that seems to be the problem for most people. Anyone have any ideas on what else I can try?

    Thanks,
    Jeffrey

  2. #2
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 798 Times in 485 Posts

    post a picture of the error and we can get a better idea of which direction to go to for a solution

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts



    Now if I delete the app and redownload from scratch it works just fine. Only does it when updating apps.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 515 Times in 379 Posts

    I had this happen once, I had to restore and rejailbreak.

  5. #5
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 798 Times in 485 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post


    Now if I delete the app and redownload from scratch it works just fine. Only does it when updating apps.
    ok good...

    I think what's happening is maybe something you installed, either through cydia or appstore or elsewhere tried to changed the permissions for the Downloads folder located in /var/mobile/Media/

    The Downloads folder may be set to "root", when it should be set to "mobile"

    Now here's a technique you can try

    Use ifile and go to that location and change the permission of the "Downloads" folder in the "Owner" from "root" to "mobile"

    then try to download again and see if it works

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    I had this happen once, I had to restore and rejailbreak.
    Really? Think if that's the case just won't update anything. LOL Don't want to restore and rejailbreak.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    ok good...

    I think what's happening is maybe something you installed, either through cydia or appstore or elsewhere tried to changed the permissions for the Downloads folder located in /var/mobile/Media/

    The Downloads folder may be set to "root", when it should be set to "mobile"

    Now here's a technique you can try

    Use ifile and go to that location and change the permission of the "Downloads" folder in the "Owner" from "root" to "mobile"

    then try to download again and see if it works
    My Owner and group are both Mobile. They have been ever since I've had this problem as that was the first thing I checked. Permissions are also User: Read, Write, Excute, Group: Read, Execute, World: Read, Execute.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I just updated to 5.1 with tethered jailbreak (+ bigboss semitether) and first thing I noticed is the apps not updating. Even when downloaded in iTunes and synced to the phone, they don't update : they still appear in the "updates" section of the App Store app.
    Deleting and installing the new version works, and of course if you know how to get to the app's data files and back them up before deleting, you can restore your game progress etc... but still, it's a big problem with jailbroken ios 5.1.

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
    I just updated to 5.1 with tethered jailbreak (+ bigboss semitether) and first thing I noticed is the apps not updating. Even when downloaded in iTunes and synced to the phone, they don't update : they still appear in the "updates" section of the App Store app.
    Deleting and installing the new version works, and of course if you know how to get to the app's data files and back them up before deleting, you can restore your game progress etc... but still, it's a big problem with jailbroken ios 5.1.
    How would I go about restoring the saved games and such?

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Oh, I noticed the failed updates eat up a lot of space on the phone, I currently have 58MB left, I reboot the phone, and BOOM : I now have 719MB left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
    How would I go about restoring the saved games and such?
    Assuming you're jailbroken, just connect your phone via USB, and use iphoneexplorer to browse its contents. You'll see 2 folders, Root contains everything and Apps, well the name says it all. Scroll to the app you want to update while keeping its data. Usually (if not always) the data/savegames is in "Documents" under the app's folder. For example, Gun Bros has a bunch of files down that folder like gbpro.data, savegame.dat, session.dat... well, basicly you just drag/drop this "Documents" folder on your hard drive, delete the app, download the updated one, and then relaunch/refresh iphoneexplorer, and put Documents back in place. It worked for me everytime I did it lately. Did it for Death Rally, Forever Drive, Pictorial HD.

    That's if you haven't already deleted the apps (along with their data). You can still find the deleted data with iphone backup extractor, digging into your sync archives.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Here's hope : I restored my iphone 4 entirely, reinstalling iOS 5.1 from scratch, then restoring the data from my iTunes backup, and then jailbreaking with Redsnow. Now the app updates work !
    So if you can't update your apps on iOS 5.1 with jailbreak, the updates don't work, the app updates fail... try restoring in iTunes !

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
    Assuming you're jailbroken, just connect your phone via USB, and use iphoneexplorer to browse its contents. You'll see 2 folders, Root contains everything and Apps, well the name says it all. Scroll to the app you want to update while keeping its data. Usually (if not always) the data/savegames is in "Documents" under the app's folder. For example, Gun Bros has a bunch of files down that folder like gbpro.data, savegame.dat, session.dat... well, basicly you just drag/drop this "Documents" folder on your hard drive, delete the app, download the updated one, and then relaunch/refresh iphoneexplorer, and put Documents back in place. It worked for me everytime I did it lately. Did it for Death Rally, Forever Drive, Pictorial HD.

    That's if you haven't already deleted the apps (along with their data). You can still find the deleted data with iphone backup extractor, digging into your sync archives.
    Ok Thanks. Think I'll start trying that. Really don't want to restore and jialbreak. Wish I knew of a fix.

    Quote Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
    Here's hope : I restored my iphone 4 entirely, reinstalling iOS 5.1 from scratch, then restoring the data from my iTunes backup, and then jailbreaking with Redsnow. Now the app updates work !
    So if you can't update your apps on iOS 5.1 with jailbreak, the updates don't work, the app updates fail... try restoring in iTunes !
    Thanks, figured that'd work but just really don't want to restore and rejailbreak.May end up having to though.

  12. #12
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 798 Times in 485 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
    Really? Think if that's the case just won't update anything. LOL Don't want to restore and rejailbreak.


    My Owner and group are both Mobile. They have been ever since I've had this problem as that was the first thing I checked. Permissions are also User: Read, Write, Excute, Group: Read, Execute, World: Read, Execute.
    sorry didnt mean to leave u hanging...this thread slipped my mind

    instead of Group: Read, Execute...........try Group: Write, Execute

    then reboot and try again

    if it doesnt work we can go from there

  13. #13
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    sorry didnt mean to leave u hanging...this thread slipped my mind

    instead of Group: Read, Execute...........try Group: Write, Execute

    then reboot and try again

    if it doesnt work we can go from there
    Sorry just got around to trying this. Anyway same result. Says can't download update but downloads after deleted like before.

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
    Sorry just got around to trying this. Anyway same result. Says can't download update but downloads after deleted like before.
    There's a solution that works. Just take an afternoon or an evening to restore... Rejailbreaking isn't a big deal, since most of the preferences aren't deleted so every jailbreak tweak is already configured as soon as you install it.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts