Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't download app updates

Default Can't download app updates
    Iphone 4 CDMA - iOS 5.1 Tethered Jailbreak.

Starting to think a jailbreak on iOS 5 is more hassle then what it was worth. Never had any problems with my 3gs & iOS 4.

Anyway, today I've started getting a "Unable to download "xxx" app" then have two choices to either retry or done. I can download new apps fine from the app store. Have been able to delete all of the "update" apps and redownload fresh from the app store and it works.

The only thing I've found online was to check the permissions of the download directory with iFile. I've done that and both are mobile/mobile. As far as I can tell that's the only fix I've found. And normally that seems to be the problem for most people. Anyone have any ideas on what else I can try?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

post a picture of the error and we can get a better idea of which direction to go to for a solution

Now if I delete the app and redownload from scratch it works just fine. Only does it when updating apps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I had this happen once, I had to restore and rejailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post

Now if I delete the app and redownload from scratch it works just fine. Only does it when updating apps.
    ok good...

I think what's happening is maybe something you installed, either through cydia or appstore or elsewhere tried to changed the permissions for the Downloads folder located in /var/mobile/Media/

The Downloads folder may be set to "root", when it should be set to "mobile"

Now here's a technique you can try

Use ifile and go to that location and change the permission of the "Downloads" folder in the "Owner" from "root" to "mobile"

then try to download again and see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    I had this happen once, I had to restore and rejailbreak.
    Really? Think if that's the case just won't update anything. LOL Don't want to restore and rejailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    ok good...

I think what's happening is maybe something you installed, either through cydia or appstore or elsewhere tried to changed the permissions for the Downloads folder located in /var/mobile/Media/

The Downloads folder may be set to "root", when it should be set to "mobile"

Now here's a technique you can try

Use ifile and go to that location and change the permission of the "Downloads" folder in the "Owner" from "root" to "mobile"

then try to download again and see if it works
    My Owner and group are both Mobile. They have been ever since I've had this problem as that was the first thing I checked. Permissions are also User: Read, Write, Excute, Group: Read, Execute, World: Read, Execute.

I just updated to 5.1 with tethered jailbreak (+ bigboss semitether) and first thing I noticed is the apps not updating. Even when downloaded in iTunes and synced to the phone, they don't update : they still appear in the "updates" section of the App Store app.
    Deleting and installing the new version works, and of course if you know how to get to the app's data files and back them up before deleting, you can restore your game progress etc... but still, it's a big problem with jailbroken ios 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
    I just updated to 5.1 with tethered jailbreak (+ bigboss semitether) and first thing I noticed is the apps not updating. Even when downloaded in iTunes and synced to the phone, they don't update : they still appear in the "updates" section of the App Store app.
    Deleting and installing the new version works, and of course if you know how to get to the app's data files and back them up before deleting, you can restore your game progress etc... but still, it's a big problem with jailbroken ios 5.1.
    How would I go about restoring the saved games and such?

Oh, I noticed the failed updates eat up a lot of space on the phone, I currently have 58MB left, I reboot the phone, and BOOM : I now have 719MB left.

How would I go about restoring the saved games and such?
    Assuming you're jailbroken, just connect your phone via USB, and use iphoneexplorer to browse its contents. You'll see 2 folders, Root contains everything and Apps, well the name says it all. Scroll to the app you want to update while keeping its data. Usually (if not always) the data/savegames is in "Documents" under the app's folder. For example, Gun Bros has a bunch of files down that folder like gbpro.data, savegame.dat, session.dat... well, basicly you just drag/drop this "Documents" folder on your hard drive, delete the app, download the updated one, and then relaunch/refresh iphoneexplorer, and put Documents back in place. It worked for me everytime I did it lately. Did it for Death Rally, Forever Drive, Pictorial HD.

That's if you haven't already deleted the apps (along with their data). You can still find the deleted data with iphone backup extractor, digging into your sync archives.

Here's hope : I restored my iphone 4 entirely, reinstalling iOS 5.1 from scratch, then restoring the data from my iTunes backup, and then jailbreaking with Redsnow. Now the app updates work !
    So if you can't update your apps on iOS 5.1 with jailbreak, the updates don't work, the app updates fail... try restoring in iTunes !

Assuming you're jailbroken, just connect your phone via USB, and use iphoneexplorer to browse its contents. You'll see 2 folders, Root contains everything and Apps, well the name says it all. Scroll to the app you want to update while keeping its data. Usually (if not always) the data/savegames is in "Documents" under the app's folder. For example, Gun Bros has a bunch of files down that folder like gbpro.data, savegame.dat, session.dat... well, basicly you just drag/drop this "Documents" folder on your hard drive, delete the app, download the updated one, and then relaunch/refresh iphoneexplorer, and put Documents back in place. It worked for me everytime I did it lately. Did it for Death Rally, Forever Drive, Pictorial HD.

That's if you haven't already deleted the apps (along with their data). You can still find the deleted data with iphone backup extractor, digging into your sync archives.
    Ok Thanks. Think I'll start trying that. Really don't want to restore and jialbreak. Wish I knew of a fix.

Here's hope : I restored my iphone 4 entirely, reinstalling iOS 5.1 from scratch, then restoring the data from my iTunes backup, and then jailbreaking with Redsnow. Now the app updates work !
    So if you can't update your apps on iOS 5.1 with jailbreak, the updates don't work, the app updates fail... try restoring in iTunes !
    Thanks, figured that'd work but just really don't want to restore and rejailbreak.May end up having to though.

Really? Think if that's the case just won't update anything. LOL Don't want to restore and rejailbreak.

My Owner and group are both Mobile. They have been ever since I've had this problem as that was the first thing I checked. Permissions are also User: Read, Write, Excute, Group: Read, Execute, World: Read, Execute.
    sorry didnt mean to leave u hanging...this thread slipped my mind

instead of Group: Read, Execute...........try Group: Write, Execute

then reboot and try again

if it doesnt work we can go from there

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    sorry didnt mean to leave u hanging...this thread slipped my mind

instead of Group: Read, Execute...........try Group: Write, Execute

then reboot and try again

if it doesnt work we can go from there
    Sorry just got around to trying this. Anyway same result. Says can't download update but downloads after deleted like before.

Sorry just got around to trying this. Anyway same result. Says can't download update but downloads after deleted like before.
    There's a solution that works. Just take an afternoon or an evening to restore... Rejailbreaking isn't a big deal, since most of the preferences aren't deleted so every jailbreak tweak is already configured as soon as you install it.