+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying my first Iphone, need help

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Guys need some help regarding 3gs, i have never used ios. I am buying 3gs 16gb. 1. How do I check before buying whether it's factory unlocked or not? Also
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Buying my first Iphone, need help
    Guys need some help regarding 3gs, i have never used ios. I am buying 3gs 16gb.
    1. How do I check before buying whether it's factory unlocked or not? Also how do I check the baseband and which baseband should I avoid?
    2. After jail breaking, can I visit the apple app store from my mobile?
    3. When updating/changing firmware can I backup all my installed apps?
    4. Is it possible to roll back to ios 4 after trying ios5??
    5. If my phone is factory unlocked then I dont have to worry about phone getting locked when upgrading etc right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hassaan123 View Post
    Guys need some help regarding 3gs, i have never used ios. I am buying 3gs 16gb.
    1. How do I check before buying whether it's factory unlocked or not? Also how do I check the baseband and which baseband should I avoid?
    2. After jail breaking, can I visit the apple app store from my mobile?
    3. When updating/changing firmware can I backup all my installed apps?
    4. Is it possible to roll back to ios 4 after trying ios5??
    5. If my phone is factory unlocked then I dont have to worry about phone getting locked when upgrading etc right?

1. If its new and from apple it's unlocked. If its from a network provider chances are its locked to their network. If its used ask the vendor otherwise no way of telling short of putting another sim in it. Baseband version is available under settings > general > about
    2. Yes
    3. Yes iTunes does this although not for cydia apps
    4. If SHSH blobs are stored you can roll back
    5. Factory unlocked - unlocked forever

3. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

hassaan123 (04-01-2012)

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    1. If its new and from apple it's unlocked. If its from a network provider chances are its locked to their network. If its used ask the vendor otherwise no way of telling short of putting another sim in it. Baseband version is available under settings > general > about
    2. Yes
    3. Yes iTunes does this although not for cydia apps
    4. If SHSH blobs are stored you can roll back
    5. Factory unlocked - unlocked forever
    1. Actually, just because its from apple doesnt mean its unlocked. Some of the ways to determine if its factory unlocked is to pop in a sim and see if there's reception. Then pop in a sim from another provider and check if reception is there too. You can also connect it to itunes, and if it says something along the lines of "your iphone is unlocked" then you know its factory unlocked.

2. Same

3. iTunes will backup any apps you purchased from the appstore or any free apps from the appstore. Cydia apps will not be backed up as previously stated.

4. Same as previous post. To check which SHSH blobs you have open up cydia and it should tell you at the top.

5. Update to any firmware without consequence, but you will lose the jailbreak if it was jailbroken prior to update

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

hassaan123 (04-01-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^ thanx alot for your replies. I got the phone, its factory unlocked.

1. Currently its not jail breaked and running ios 4.1 . Which IOS 4 version do you recommend for 3gs?
    2. Is there any tutorial or guide present for upgrading and then jailbreaking in a way that I can later roll back? (Because I want to try ios5 and then I want to be able to revert back to ios4 later if ios5 doesnt meet my requirements)

EVO
    Thanks

^ thanx alot for your replies. I got the phone, its factory unlocked.

1. Currently its not jail breaked and running ios 4.1 . Which IOS 4 version do you recommend for 3gs?
    2. Is there any tutorial or guide present for upgrading and then jailbreaking in a way that I can later roll back? (Because I want to try ios5 and then I want to be able to revert back to ios4 later if ios5 doesnt meet my requirements)
    1. I used to have a 3gs and the best one was 4.2.1, many people still have 4.2.1 on their iphone 4, it was the most stable and most of the themes worked for it.

Of course you cant restore to 4.2.1 unless the previous owner saved the SHSH blobs for it

Since its not jailbroken you wont be able to know the shsh blobs the easy way by opening cydia

to know what blobs you have, download tinyumbrella and click on "Save All SHSHS" that will tell you if any shsh blobs were saved

2. Since you are new, I will grant you one wish.

Look at this link: [How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore

A lot of useful information...

but next time just search this forum, has a lot of very useful information..

Thanks

4.2.1 was a good version however 5 is pretty darn good too. I'm on iPhone 4 now with 5.0.1 but the missus has my old 3GS on 5.0.1 JB with no issues. Love NC. You used to be able to downgrade to 4.1 as apple had kept signing SHSH blobs for it, but not sure if that's still the case. Anyone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^ thanx. Currently there are no shsh blobs saved by the previous owner. Now can I update to 4.3.3 and then save its shsh blobs? Or I would need the shsh blobs for 4.3.3 to update to it? Once updated to 4.3.3 and I have saved the shsh blobs, can I update to ios5 and later roll back to 4.3.3 for which I saved the shsh blobs?

EVO
    Thanks

^ thanx. Currently there are no shsh blobs saved by the previous owner. Now can I update to 4.3.3 and then save its shsh blobs? Or I would need the shsh blobs for 4.3.3 to update to it? Once updated to 4.3.3 and I have saved the shsh blobs, can I update to ios5 and later roll back to 4.3.3 for which I saved the shsh blobs?
    so there are no SHSH blobs period??

bad news for you then...the only version you can restore to is 4.1 the one you are currently at because apple is still signing it...

you should be able to see at least 4.1 shsh blobs

you cannot restore to another below 5.1 because no blobs were saved, you need it to restore and since the phone does not have it, you can only go to 5.1 and if issues occur you can restore back to 4.1

however 5.1 only has a tethered jailbreak, meaning if you reboot the phone you have to connect it to your computer and re-jailbreak again, unless of course the 3gs contains the old bootrom exploit, if so you are lucky and can have an untethered jailbreak

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

hassaan123 (04-01-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    so there are no SHSH blobs period??

bad news for you then...the only version you can restore to is 4.1 the one you are currently at because apple is still signing it...

you should be able to see at least 4.1 shsh blobs

you cannot restore to another below 5.1 because no blobs were saved, you need it to restore and since the phone does not have it, you can only go to 5.1 and if issues occur you can restore back to 4.1

however 5.1 only has a tethered jailbreak, meaning if you reboot the phone you have to connect it to your computer and re-jailbreak again, unless of course the 3gs contains the old bootrom exploit, if so you are lucky and can have an untethered jailbreak
    Ok so I gave that away. Now I have an option to get 3gs with 4.2.1 installed, its factory unlocked too. Now I have few questions:-

1. For upgrading or restoring we would need blobs for every FW except the latest one?
    2. 5.1 is latest but without untethered jailbreak, so can I flash 5.0.1 ( I dont have its blobs).
    3. what if 5.2 comes and then 5.1 jailbreak comes, and people without the 5.1 blobs wont be able to flash it later??
    4. I have seen many guides which have methods to upgrade with preserving the base band, in my case if I do decide to upgrade to 5.1 , then should I preserve the baseband? if I dont, then I would be able to come back to 4.2.1 if I have blobs but not the older baseband?

I am sorry but I am completely new to it, so just want to make sure...

Thanks

Ok so I gave that away. Now I have an option to get 3gs with 4.2.1 installed, its factory unlocked too. Now I have few questions:-

1. For upgrading or restoring we would need blobs for every FW except the latest one?
    2. 5.1 is latest but without untethered jailbreak, so can I flash 5.0.1 ( I dont have its blobs).
    3. what if 5.2 comes and then 5.1 jailbreak comes, and people without the 5.1 blobs wont be able to flash it later??
    4. I have seen many guides which have methods to upgrade with preserving the base band, in my case if I do decide to upgrade to 5.1 , then should I preserve the baseband? if I dont, then I would be able to come back to 4.2.1 if I have blobs but not the older baseband?

I am sorry but I am completely new to it, so just want to make sure...
    1. You only need the shsh blobs for a firmware you want to restore to eg if you have 4.2.1 blobs but not 4.3.1 you can restore to 4.2.1 but not 4.3.1. You don't have to have all the blobs in sequence to be able to restore.

2. You can't flash 5.0.1 period. You don't have it's blobs and there is no way to get them as apple isn't signing it. If you go to 5.1 you're stuck there (unless you want the 4.1 option)

3. Correct. Apple stops signing blobs when it releases a new version so if you don't have 5.1 saved you can't flash it later.

4. You only have to preserve your baseband if you require an unlock. If its factory unlocked don't worry about it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for replying, OK i understand this, now 1 more thing left to clear up
    1: I'll save the blobs for 4.2.1 now. Then if I upgrade to 5.1 I can roll back to 4.2.1 right? When I update to 5.1,my bb would update too, won't that cause problems when reverting back to 4.2.1? Or bb isn't involve in this?

Thanks

You can't save your 4.2.1 blobs now as apple isn't signing them any longer. As far as I know you could use ifaith to extract partial blobs from the firmware already on your device (4.2.1) but having never done this I cannot comment. Anyone else help?

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    You can't save your 4.2.1 blobs now as apple isn't signing them any longer. As far as I know you could use ifaith to extract partial blobs from the firmware already on your device (4.2.1) but having never done this I cannot comment. Anyone else help?
    yes you are right about the partial blobs, but easier to use redsn0w..

since you are currently on 4.2.1, you can do "fetch" of the SHSH blobs in redsn0w. The blobs are saved to your hard drive in the redsn0w folder. Submit it to the cydia server using the option in same menu as the "fetch" action. Then you need to download the 4.2.1 ISPW (iOS version) for your 3gs model and "stitch" it to the ISPW firmware.

As of right now, make sure to save your SHSH blobs for 5.1 in case you have to restore back to 5.1 for whatever reason.

If you update to 5.1 and need to restore back to 4.2.1, put your phone into DFU mode (search around if you dont know) and start itunes. Then use the "Restore" option by first holding SHIFT + (Click Restore) and point it to the "stitched" firmware that you hopefully saved somewhere.

Personally I wouldnt go with 5.1 because its "tethered" for 3Gs, plus its hella slow. I have a 3Gs for testing purposes and its running 5.1, and its running really slow, but then again other people may have different experience.

I would just stick with 4.2.1, IMO

Hope this helps!