+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Alternative to Safari Download Manager for iOS 5

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have been waiting for Dustin Howett to UPDATE his software from Version: 1.5.1-1 to a NEWER VERSION that is compatible with iOS 5, as for a lot of people
    Thanks

Default Alternative to Safari Download Manager for iOS 5
    I have been waiting for Dustin Howett to UPDATE his software from Version: 1.5.1-1 to a NEWER VERSION that is compatible with iOS 5, as for a lot of people I am sure. Instead of using one of the AppStore alternatives, I like to keep things simplistic with in Apples Interface. So seeking a way to download files on my iDevice I discovered we dont even need a Download Manager to download files, unless you want to download multiple files at once. Take for instance I wanted to download Kaspersky Internet Security for my Computer, while at McDonald`s the Internet speeds are horribly slow. My 3G speeds are twice, if not three times as fast as the Wifi speeds at Miccy D`s.

Download iFile in Cydia and thats all you need.

Go to a site in Safari and find a file you would like to download, press download on the link and just let the statusbar load until its finished. Depending on the size of the file downloading will correspond with the statusbar loading time. When finished it will say open with iFile or something along those lines depending on the file extension.

The location where these files are held after downloding are The very first page of Root /tmp/QuickLookDocumentView/

Each QuickLookDocumentView folder is going to be different. So you download a file it creates this QuickLookDocumentView Folder with the file in it. Do as you wish with the file, copy to your Mac/PC then you can delete the QuickLookDocumentView Folder when finished. The folder will automatically delete itself after you delete that tab in Safari.

And thats it Happy downloading until Dustin Howett updates Safari Download Manager.

What's Jailbreak? >)]Magical[(<'s Avatar
    Thanks

Or you could of downloaded the safari downplugin iOS 5.

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

I'd recommend iFile too. Safari DownPlugin is only available from untrustworthy repositories, and I've seen reports of it causing serious issues on people's devices since those repositories don't always configure it correctly.