+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP! Iphone 3g 4.2.1 won't dfu

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey i'm currently trying to jailbreak my 3G 4.2.1 wil redsn0w. I have the lastest firmware for 4.2.1 aswel as redsn0w and the jailbreak firmware. I've watched all the tutorials
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default HELP! Iphone 3g 4.2.1 won't dfu
    Hey i'm currently trying to jailbreak my 3G 4.2.1 wil redsn0w. I have the lastest firmware for 4.2.1 aswel as redsn0w and the jailbreak firmware. I've watched all the tutorials to put it in2 dfu mode. these are the steps I've taken.

1. connect phone using usb to computer.

2. power off the phone.

3. hold power button and home botton for 10sec (At this point the apple logo is still on the screen even though it should b gone blank)

4. release power button but still hold the home button for 10 more secs.
    I've tried different variations of timings and all that but to no avail. I even gave it to my friend who has jail broke many 3gs's and 3g's he also had no luck getting it in2 dfu mode. please please help

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

To the home and power button both work properly?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The face was replace just the plastic that had the speaker and home button on as the original home button was broken. The face was taken from the same model and Gb (A1241). their both working properly as I've been using the phone for a few days now.

Thanks

Try entering dfu without turning the phone off. From a starting point of the phone being on do the 10 seconds with home and power then keep holding the home button. Do not let go of the home button until redsnow recognizes it. It sometimes takes more that 10 seconds, there should be nothing on the screen after the initial 10 second countdown.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm able to get to Dfu mode now. Hold the home key softly is the key haha. but now i have another problem.

I'm using redsnow i have version 0.9.6rc16 and 0.9.10b6 and both have the same probs.

I load up the custom 4.2.1_8c148 firmware is reads all that fine before doing to the DFU section.

I tick install cydia and battery percent display or whatever it called

Go to the prep screen where it tells u to power of the phone and enter Dfu mode now or at the next screen.

It detects its in Dfu mode and starts loading the firmware but then just seems to stall on "waiting to reboot" I waited ages and nothing happens. I then have to go back to itunes and restore it and try all over again just for the same thing to happen Should I use the Ipad baseband? If I tick Ipad baseband and it fucks up I screwed I then have no Iphone till the jailbreak works and no gps ever

Thanks

You're not giving us a lot of info here - custom 4.2.1? did you make it yourself? Custom in what way? Are you trying to preserve your BB? If so, what BB?
    You say you 'have version 0.9.6rc16 and 0.9.10b6' but you should be using 0.9.6rc19
    see Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 for details of how to JB.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Don't tick install ipad baseband if all you are trying to do is jailbreak.

You need to run redsnow in compatibility mode if you are on windows vista or 7. Use the rc16 redsnow or get the one Confucious recommended (rc19), either will work fine for a iPhone 3G. To run it in compatibility mode, right click on the redsnow.exe file and select properties. Click the compatibility tab and check the boxes that say run in windows xp compatibility mode and the box that says run as adminitrator. Then click apply, then run redsnow and try to install cydia again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

dennydaly (03-22-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

got everthing sorted thanks guys its jailbroke now. what apps and stuff do ye recommend for a jailbroke 3g 4.2.1?

Thanks

sbsettings is a must