+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to forum, ready to jailbreak but need to restore

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys. I am new to the board. Have experience in the past modding PSP's, but somewhat new to the iphone world. I have an iphone 4 with 5.0.1. Want
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default New to forum, ready to jailbreak but need to restore
    Hey guys. I am new to the board. Have experience in the past modding PSP's, but somewhat new to the iphone world. I have an iphone 4 with 5.0.1. Want to jailbreak and get siri and sega genesis emulator (and I am sure a lot more once I get going). Currently my phone has .76GB of "other" stuff hogging up a bit of my storage. I have heard this is somewhat common, and the only sure way to clear it, is a restore. I haven't been in a hurry to do it, since I do not need the space right now, but I am guessing I would be better off doing it before jailbreaking it? I am hoping I can restore, then call on my backup to get my apps and data back on the phone? Or wil I be forced to start as "new"? Once jailbroken, does this "other" issue go away? Thanks in advance, can't wait to learn how to get siri on my phone.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

How much does ya phone have like 16 32? What all do you have on there that taking up so much space?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its 8GB phone, so the .76GB is a decent chunk of my available storage. I don't know what is taking up the space. I have like 3 songs, and maybe 20 pictures that I took with the phone, but those are under "music" and "pictures" catergory in the storage. I have read that the "other" is a common problem, that apple doesn't have a fix for.

2k1
    Thanks

Ya I would do a restore for sure and just add ya music and photos again. That less of storage and then jailbreaking ya phone will make it run very slow. Best to restore before jailbreaking it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks, sounds good. I should have been more specific. I have 4GB free right now- 8GB total, .01GB audio, .53GB audio, 1.16GB apps, .76GB other, 4GB free. Just don't know what that .76GB is. Hopefully I can reclaim it with a restore. Will post my progress.

2k1
    Thanks

Good luck

Green Apple
    Thanks

Got it done. Restore went painless, got most of my space back. Jailbreak went good on the first try. I want to get Siri on my Iphone4. Started the reading process, but it looks like a lot of stuff out there. Looking like I need to install spire first? Got to find out where to get it.

2k1
    Thanks

You can download it from Cydia. Then look in the news section for a thread with siri accounts. I'll see if I can find it for ya gimme a few.

Here ya go

Got Spire? Here Are Some Working Servers
    Last edited by 2k1; 03-07-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks man. Tried going to Cydia, but it seems the website is down.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrgr8ness View Post
    Got it done. Restore went painless, got most of my space back. Jailbreak went good on the first try. I want to get Siri on my Iphone4. Started the reading process, but it looks like a lot of stuff out there. Looking like I need to install spire first? Got to find out where to get it.

I had the same problem on my 4, 8gb. Had like over 3 gb of memory gone under "other". Did a fresh restore and JB and it is fine.
    Try Sara in Cydia, it is actually really good. Still kinks and bugs but it is damn close to Siri.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about using Siriport? I see some tutorials on that. Looks like it uses the official Apple server? Or is spire the better way to go? I haven't heard of Sara, is that just a 3rd party siri clone?

2k1
    Thanks

Spire a better way to go

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok thanks. Finding my way with tutorials on Youtube videos. So it looks like with Spire, you have to find a server, and a lot of them cost. I do see at least one free server, but are the free ones reliable? With these proxy's, wouldn't you have to wory about them closing down, and having to find new ones? I just don't want to get into something that is going to need constant maintenance.

Am I correct that siriport would use Apple's server? This would be free, and Apple's server should be reliable, and not going to disappear. What are the downfalls here, over spire? Sorry, I am still a noob and just want to learn the best I can.

I found Youtube instructions on Sara. Is this a better alternative to siri? I assume with Sara though, there is only one server to connect to?

2k1
    Thanks

I would stay away from Sara. And as for as buying a proxy just remember ya git what ya pay for.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hear ya there Well, seeing that I have never had siri, wouldn't hurt to try it out on a free proxy to make sure its something I want, then go with a better one, right? What can you tell me about siriport, and the difference between that and spire? Is my thinking correct?

edit- oh and I assume once you pay for a proxy, can you use mulitple devices?
    Last edited by mrgr8ness; 03-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.

2k1
    Thanks

Sieiservers are ya best to go check them out

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cool, thanks. I guess I don't mind paying the fee. Would rather pay a one time fee hopefully no more than $20.

Trying to install genesis4iphone but having trouble figuring Cydia out. Its looks like zodttd is already bundled as a source with cydia, but I can't quite figure out how to get genesis4iphone installed. I thought you would go to sections and find games, but I don't see it.

2k1
    Thanks

Try to do a search for it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow, you are fast. Best mod on all the forums I am on Yeah I tried a search and nothing. I am brand new to Cydia, still learning my way, but I have been trying to read up and educate myself. From what I read and youtube videos, I thought there would be a game section, but I don't see it. Then again the video I watched, you had to add zodttd as a source, where its bundled now. The video may be old and things may have changed.

2k1
    Thanks

They got tabs on the bottom at Cydia. Click the section one and look around in there.