Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hiding the Recorder Status bar

Default Hiding the Recorder Status bar
    Does anyone know of an app or tweak that will allow you to hide the glowing red recording bar at the top of your screen that appears when you are using a memo recorder but the memo app is closed?

It is difficult to make clandestine recordings without such a tweak.

Thanks.

Hello,

Well, while it’s far from perfect, one option is SB Hidden StatusBar (free, in Cydia).

I, myself, installed this tweak precisely to hide the red ‘Recording’ bar. It does work, albeit with a few caveats (one of which is more important than the others):

I. SB Hidden StatusBar completely hides the status bar all the time: in order to bring back the status bar, you will need to uninstall the tweak. (For some, this might be a deal-breaker. Initially, it was a bit disconcerting to me, but I soon grew accustomed to it).

II. Whenever you open/close an app, the status bar will appear for a very brief period of time (a fraction of a second, as the apps are switching). Fortunately, only the regular status bar appears in this brief flicker, not the glaring, red ‘Recording’ banner.

However, …
    III. a) In some apps, the status bar remains visible; and
    b) In a sizable percentage of those apps, the red ‘Recording’ banner also remains visible.

Hence, if you wish to use SB Hidden StatusBar to intercept (i.e., covertly record) conversations, ensure that you first test how your apps behave so you don’t inadvertently blow your cover.

Finally, you might also want to download Silent Audio REC (also from Cydia) which silences the tell-tale ‘ding’ produced when you start a recording. (No, muting your iPhone will not silence the ‘ding’. I suspect that the intractability of the sound & the banner may be due to US laws regarding the intercepting of private communications).[1]

So, no: it’s not great, but it’s better than nothing. I hope it helps.

[1] Note that, in most (if not all --- being uncertain, I refer the reader to google for clarification) US states, intercepting conversations is illegal.

However, take note, my fellow Canadians: our country is what is known as a ‘one party state’; that is, in Canada, intercepting private communications --- whether they occur in person, via telephone, internet, etc. --- is completely legal as long as the person intercepting the communication is one of the parties involved in it (cf., Canadian Criminal Code, s.184(2)). For details, Legaltree has an excellent outline of current Canadian interception law here.