+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to back up but forgot encrypted password protect

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm trying to back up my contacts on my IP4 jailbroke at 4.3.3. I want to upgrade and copy all of my contacts but I also need all of my
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Trying to back up but forgot encrypted password protect
    I'm trying to back up my contacts on my IP4 jailbroke at 4.3.3. I want to upgrade and copy all of my contacts but I also need all of my text messages.

I purchased this phone used but was said to have been factory reset before I got the phone however it still had previous persons emails addys in the phone so I'm not sure how much of a reset was done.

I 100% need to get my text messages and contacts out of the phone. I just upgraded my wife's IP4 to 5.0.1 and received the same error when trying to back up her phone. Her phone was not critical so we just factory restored as new. The interesting thing is when I set up her phone it did not give me an options to make a new password to protect the back up so I'm kind of confused what password they want.

It apparently isnt the same as my apple id and pw because i tried that and it was a no go. Any ideas?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What do you need the password for? Surely this is only relevant if you're trying to restore? Why don't you uncheck the encrypt backup box and create an unencrypted backup prior to upgrade?

Green Apple
    Thanks

See thats just it ..when I uncheck the encrypted box and try to back up it still prompts me for a pw. It appears to be an itunes password but when I enter mine it says its wrong.

I would like to upgrade to 5.0.1 and either way would like to save my text messages for legal purposes I guess you could say.

Thanks

Are you jailbroken? If so go to var/mobile/Library/SMS and copy the sms.db to your computer (try iPhone explorer / browser / ifunbox / ssh) restore and rejailbreak then copy the SMS file back to the same directory. Make sure to Set the file permissions
    To mobile (644) rather than root as it'll cause problems with crashing and not storing new SMS if you dont. Ifile can enable this to be done easily. Otherwise not sure why you're getting that message.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes I'm jailbroken. The programs and file you mentioned I know nothing about but will try to read up on them to figure it out. I would prefer to reset the phone as a new one to factory setting when I upgrade it to 5.0.1 to avoid future issues such as these from buying a used phone.

I really dont need to reload the text messages back to my phone. It would be nice to save them to my computer and be able to print them out but putting them back on is not really a big deal.

I would like ot be able to reload my contacts on my phone though.

I will read up on the file and programs you mentioned and I'm quite sure i will have a few questions about getting it to work. Thank you for your reply and help steering me in the right direction.

Thanks

ifile is a cydia app that grants access to the root file system and let's you work with files on your idevice. Well the the from the cydia store. The others are program's that run on your computer and essentially do the same by letting you browse the root file system. Any queries let me know. May I also say I think frankly it's better to restore to a fresh copy of ios on occasion anyway, much like reinstalling windows / OSX. Gets rid of all the junk files that may be left on the device and speeds it to like new

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Are you jailbroken? If so go to var/mobile/Library/SMS and copy the sms.db to your computer (try iPhone explorer / browser / ifunbox / ssh) restore and rejailbreak then copy the SMS file back to the same directory. Make sure to Set the file permissions
    To mobile (644) rather than root as it'll cause problems with crashing and not storing new SMS if you dont. Ifile can enable this to be done easily. Otherwise not sure why you're getting that message.

I just got around to this and cant seem to figure it out. I have installed iexplorer and a bunch of other things on my phone dealing with an FTP client and really dont know much about any of them. Anyway you can give me a step by step of how to back up the contacts and then back up the messages and change to mobile (644) as you mentioned as I dont wanna screw this up.