Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying a iPhone 4 from my friend who will in turn report it stolen for insurance.

Default Buying a iPhone 4 from my friend who will in turn report it stolen for insurance.
    The title is pretty self explanatory. It's been YEARS since I've lurked the forums and sought advice.

I have a friend who has a brand new iPhone 4g. He has it fully insured with anti theft protection which he so boastfully announced - He needs to make a car payment this april which costs 250$ I jokingly said, "Hey I'll buy you're phone off you for 250 and you can in turn report it stolen". He's now on board with this idea, but claims Apple and his carrier have an anti theft detection kill the phone function.

With the awesomeness of the Dev team and the power of jailbreaking, unlocking, cloaking and killswitching. Is there any way to buy his phone but still be able to use it afterwards? Or will his service provider brick it to all hell and back. Also if it is possible, what firmware should the phone have before I commit, are there any prerequisites before an unlock with another carrier can incur ?

I have an Iphone 3g, had it since it first came out years ago; it's been jailbroken over and over again, along with unlocking. (Thank you to all the geniuses <3) it served me well but it's time to update.

I'm really sorry if this isn't posted in the right thread, or if this is in violation of rules. I never intended for it to be.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate what you do here.

Carrier will block it via IMEI so calls / texts etc will not work. Apple will not brick it / kill it, however what you're talking about is insurance fraud and could land you and your friend in a whole lot of trouble and frankly is not worth it. Why don't you just lend your friend $250?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Why not just buy the phone for $250 and end the story there? You will end up with an iPod touch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Carrier will block it via IMEI so calls / texts etc will not work. Apple will not brick it / kill it, however what you're talking about is insurance fraud and could land you and your friend in a whole lot of trouble and frankly is not worth it. Why don't you just lend your friend $250?
    Truth is not worth it. I cannot believe you suggest that to your friend what kind of friend are you? Loan him the money or buy your own iPhone👌

Quote Originally Posted by MoDaLoT View Post
    Truth is not worth it. I cannot believe you suggest that to your friend what kind of friend are you? Loan him the money or buy your own iPhone��
    Jesus.. you're an uppity **** aren't you. At best we're work acquaintances, what he does in life I could care less about. Questioning an opportunity before capitalizing on one apparently makes me a horrible person then? But I guess I shouldn't have expected much from here.

For him, it would be a monetary convenience and since I'm GOING to buy an iphone 4 anyway it was mentioned in passing as a joke... emphasis on a joke, didn't know there were a bunch of pills here. I say this with all disrespect, as taking shots at some one's integrity because a question with no aforethought of malicious intent was asked in order to gain knowledge to whether or not it would be okay or even do able. If I wanted an ethics lecture I would have asked a priest.

Personal thanks to the actual information provided, as opposed to subjective ******** that Mr. Iowa provided. I'll be taking my business to craigslist then.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gluemb View Post
    Jesus.. you're an uppity **** aren't you. At best we're work acquaintances, what he does in life I could care less about. Questioning an opportunity before capitalizing on one apparently makes me a horrible person then? But I guess I shouldn't have expected much from here.

For him, it would be a monetary convenience and since I'm GOING to buy an iphone 4 anyway it was mentioned in passing as a joke... emphasis on a joke, didn't know there were a bunch of pills here. I say this with all disrespect, as taking shots at some one's integrity because a question with no aforethought of malicious intent was asked in order to gain knowledge to whether or not it would be okay or even do able. If I wanted an ethics lecture I would have asked a priest.

Personal thanks to the actual information provided, as opposed to subjective ******** that Mr. Iowa provided. I'll be taking my business to craigslist then.

Calm down and get the thongs out your butt. We don't talk about breaking the law on Modmyi okay. If you're looking for help that's fine but if your asking questions about selling or received stolen devices this is the wrong place!!!!!!