+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have i been done buying iphone4 via ebay

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak? wasunbeatable's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Have i been done buying iphone4 via ebay
    Hi I am a iphone newb so ps bear with me here. Long story,i purchased a 16gb iphone 4 on ebay for 260 last month but for the life of me cannot get damn thing to work. It was meant to be unlocked and open to any network but the phone part has no dialing tone, everything else seems to work fine and its in great condition. Re paypal: The item took 3 weeks to get delivered, because i could not contact seller i stupidly opened up a paypal report complaining item had not been recieved, so when i did eventually get the phone and found it not working i could not open another complaint with paypal because only its 1 complaint per item, thatss paypals policy. I have tried to email/telephone this seller but no awnser. I would go up to his house but its in sunderland and i am in essex. I have tried ebay but they tell me to go through paypal. I did try and explain but to no avail, so i am stuck now! Could my phone be stolen and barred? Thanks in advance

Black 16gb iphone 4
    Firmware 04.10.01
    A1332 | iPhone 4 (GSM - 2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You posted the baseband (modem firmware) firmware. What is the firmware version? Check in your settings, general, about. Is it 4.x or 5.0/1?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

So when you click it, it makes no sounds?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

Thanks for awnsering my thread.

There are sounds when dialing but there is no dialing tone and it wont connect to any number.
    Is this thefirmware- 4.3.5 [8L1]

Thanks

Default checkmend report
    Just done a checkmend report (below) and it seems the person who sold phone did not pay his bills etc. Is there a way i can get original network or another one to remove block so its working again? Or will it be possible to sell it on as its not been stolen or lost? Many thanks

Last edited by wasunbeatable; 02-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Go into a phone store and ask. Or get it insured and break it!!

Thanks

can you ps explain a bit more. Are you saying i can get it back on line even though its not in my name. Sorry complete newb when it comes to iphones. Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure, but would it be possible to jailbreak, save SHSH with Cydia then do an unlock?

Thanks

Go to Settings->phone then scroll down to the bottom there should be a carrier option with numbers to call just call them tell them your situation politely and see what they can do

Or

Just buy micro sim card activate it with your carrier and put it in the phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If its blocked on the network then no Only the original owner can do that as far as I know....

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie5374 View Post
    I'm not sure, but would it be possible to jailbreak, save SHSH with Cydia then do an unlock?
    It's not locked. It's IMEI blocked which means its unusable on UK and ireland networks. It would likely work on the continent though.
    Last edited by docmagoo2; 02-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    If its blocked on the network then no Only the original owner can do that as far as I know....

It's not locked. It's IMEI blocked which means its unusable on UK and ireland networks. It would likely work on the continent though.
    If what he says^ is true then sell it to someone not in uk/Ireland and they should be good to go. Then you can use the money to get one that will work for you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoltan1600 View Post
    If what he says^ is true then sell it to someone not in uk/Ireland and they should be good to go. Then you can use the money to get one that will work for you.
    I bought my first iPhone 4 off eBay as brand new and unopened, and it stopped working 3 months later and I was unable to get it to register to a network despite changing sims etc. turns out the bugger I bought it off had then reported it lost / stolen for what I can only assume was for an insurance claim so he had my and a replacement phone. I checked on checkmend.co.uk. As it was so far from the purchase I couldn't open a PayPal / eBay case (limit of 45 days FYI) and was left with an expensive iPod touch. I did a bit of research and discovered it would still work in Europe and was able to sell it to a chap in Germany who confirmed it worked ok, and pretty much got all my back on that deal. My advice to anyone is not to buy a phone off eBay as you have no comeback if the vendor decides 6 months down the line to scam you. I purchased my 2nd iPhone unlocked from the apple store and as I am the registered owner this will not happen again.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I would luv to keep it but dont think it possible to put a micro sim and use it as 'nicom0d said. So i think i will reluctantly ebay it but its going to be risky selling overseas because they will not have a confirmed paypal just in case i get ripped off. Also how should i word it...I mean i cant say its blocked can i? (ebay rules etc)

Thanks

Did you try talking to the network company that blocked it? Maybe if you get the right person they will unblock it ^_^

Thanks

In the USA this is called insurance fraud and you can go to jail for that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would seriously call paypal, not just go through the website, also log a complaint with Ebay. You shouldn't have to resell it cause the guy ripped you off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey you can reinstall the iOS for ulterior iPhone 4 in iTunes and if it is unlocked by apple you would still be able to use the iPhone on any carrier in your country you like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickmidd View Post
    Hey you can reinstall the iOS for ulterior iPhone 4 in iTunes and if it is unlocked by apple you would still be able to use the iPhone on any carrier in your country you like.
    Wish i would have tried this but alas too late now.