Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Worried! iPhone security whizzes - please help!

Default Worried! iPhone security whizzes - please help!
    Hey guys - I'll keep this brief. My iPhone 4s was stolen. It was not jailbroken and had a passoword with a 1-minute lock and auto-wipe after 10x enabled. I have pending orders to wipe it both from exchange through my work and iCloud. Both pending as phone has not been detected.

Basic question - like most people, I had a lot of personal info on that phone. Give it to me straight - with physical access to the phone, how easy is it to bypass password and get into contacts, pictures, notes.... all that good stuff.

Any insights would be appreciated. By the way ... I'm not interested in *how or looking to find out details.
    Last edited by Dei_13; 02-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks

If someone attempts 10 times to figure out your password and fails then as the settings u enabled would go your phone is wiped clean... Your info is gone... Should the person with your phone attempt to restore it after the 10th time failin to figure out your passcode they will have to set it up as if its a new phone I believe...

Hm. Yeah ... but I was more wondering about non-conventional means. Similar to jailbreaking ... putting in DFU mode and getting around the password somehow.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You have nothing to worry about, You had a password on the phone which is secure enough, there isn't really a public known way of bypassing the password. even if they were to put it in DFU mode and jailbreak it, once the phone is booted back up they still cant access the file system because the phone has never been synced with iTunes or the computer they plan to use it with and will still require you to input the passcode to do anything unless they stole your computer, then you would have a problem.

So rest assured, you lost your iPhone, and you have nothing to worry about as far as your data showing up anywhere.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

As with any hardware, anything created by man... Can be broken by man... The iPhone works much like a removable hard drive... So effectively (or atleast in theory),taking a backup of the phone before attempting to do any password attempts would mean being able to restore back... & failing that,there's always the same methods as every day HDD's... EnCase, recuva...

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    As with any hardware, anything created by man... Can be broken by man... The iPhone works much like a removable hard drive... So effectively (or atleast in theory),taking a backup of the phone before attempting to do any password attempts would mean being able to restore back... & failing that,there's always the same methods as every day HDD's... EnCase, recuva...

Unless you had atomic bomb plans / gold from lead formula etc on the phone I don't see why anyone would waste time trying to bypass the protection. Also as soon as someone turns your phone on the wipe order will wipe the phone. Don't worry I'd say!