Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SMS restore

Default SMS restore
    hi, i just got my 4s and im trying to restore only the sms from my 4 backup. Ive tried using itunes but when i copy that 3d0d long file and the other info, manifest and status.plist files nothing happens. i just get an empty sms app. And ive also tried to copy the sms.db file using ifile and winscp but that also doesnt make a difference.
    Please could someone help me out. i dont really want to restore the full old backup. thanks

i found a working solution if anyone else interested. from *****************

You have to have a jb device (obviously...), iFile installed and (for ease of use) one of these: DiskAid, iExplorer, iPhone Browser or something like that.
    Now, go to /var/mobile/Library in iFile and make archives (zip) of these folders: AddressBook, Calendar, Notes, Safari, SMS and in /var/wireless/Library and make an archive of CallHistory. If you have any videos in YouTube marked as favorites, save the file com.apple.youtube.dp.plist from /var/mobile/Library/Preferences.
    The names of the folders are self-explanatory (Safari contains your bookmarks and history). The purpose of the archives? To preserve the permissions.
    What you will lose are the pics from Camera Roll (better save them on your computer) and the favorites from Contacts.
    Copy the archives from the phone to a computer (using iFile's WebServer or DiskAid....).
    Restore the phone, set as new, jailbreak, install iFile and copy the files you saved before somewhere on the phone.
    RESTART the phone!!! Don't open any app, just iFile. Open the archives and extract the folders. Now, the extracted folders will have the permissions screwed but the files inside the folders will have the correct permissions. Navigate to their places and paste them over the ones in there.
    Restart the phone and you should be set. 10-15 min to set the phone as you like in Settings and verify if all the functions of the phone are ok (send/receive a call, text, make a note, verify the bookmarks etc.).
    Easy as pie.