+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 3G doesn't work with IOS 5

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I bought an iPod Touch 3G from someone today. It was running 4.3.4, so I restored it to 5.0.1. One problem. It doesn't work. iOS 5 has ruined this
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPod Touch 3G doesn't work with IOS 5
    Hi, I bought an iPod Touch 3G from someone today. It was running 4.3.4, so I restored it to 5.0.1. One problem. It doesn't work. iOS 5 has ruined this iPod. It is incredibly slow to turn on and to unlock. If you try to access multitasking, it will crash and reboot. It is completely useless. If anyone can help me with this issue, that would be absolutely wonderful. If not, please help me downgrade to iOS 4.3.3. I can't do it because when I try to save the hosts modified file in \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ I get an error message that I do not have permission to save there. Please, someone help me. If you prefer, you can email me at [email protected]
    Thanks!

Thanks

Just save the hosts file on your desktop and copy and paste it into windows\system32\drivers\ect
    That's what I have to do ^_^

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But I can't do that. It won't let me save there because I need administrative privileges

Thanks

Use administrator ID on machine...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have no idea how; there is only one ID on the computer

Thanks

Better yet, restore again on 5.0.1 and setup as new device...not from backup...make sure u have everything backed up off device first outside of iTunes backup...

Do u have shsh blobs for the pod?...if not u can't downgrade...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 02-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's exactly what I did. It takes forever to boot up, and then gets stuck on the slide to setup as soon as you slide it. It eventually moves last that screen, but then when you try to type in the wifi password it freezes and does nothing at all until it eventually reboots itself. The only way to get through setup is activate through iTunes, but then as soon as you lock it, it's useless. It just stays on slide to unlock as soon as you slide it. If, in some cases, it does unlock, it will then work for a little bit. Then it freezes up again, especially if you double click the home button, and eventually reboots itself again. Also, I haven't a clue what SHSH blobs are, but I would very much like to know

Thanks

Wow...sounds like it might have a HW problem...if u don't know what blobs r u might be stuck...do u know if that pod has been jailbroken before?... U might want to download and run TinyUmbrella on it...google that and read up...shsh blobs are hashes against the device and iOS... If u all ready have them saved, while apple is still signing for that version, u can restore to that version for which u have blobs..otherwise ur stuck...

If u run TU on it u might get lucky...there is an advanced tab in TU..plug pod in...on left side highlight pod, click save shsh...on advanced tab check request from Cydia and save shsh again...like I said, u might get lucky...post back with results..
    Last edited by xboxbml; 02-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It doesn't sound like a software problem. I just jailbroke and sold an iPod touch 3G after updating it to 5.0.1. It runs quick actually.

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Try to manually download the ipsw, and when it finshes, go into itunes and hit shift+restore, and select the ipsw. Also, make sure itunes is updated to 10.5.3.3. If this doesnt fix the issue, try the procedure again on a different computer
    (null)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are you using iPod Touch 3G, 8GB model? That doesn't run iOS 5.0.1 firmware, because I have the same model.
    Apple fanboy, a proud owner of iMac 27-inch, iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 4S (jailbreaked), and a writer at

Mod edit: No sig spam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It has not, to my knowledge, been jailbroken before. I restored it immediately when I bought it used. I have tried installing the IPSW both manually, and by letting iTunes download it. It is the iPod 3G 32GB, which is supposed to be very much capable of iOS 5.0.1. It powers up, but cannot be unlocked; it freezes. I've tried jailbreaking it, still no progress.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4sid View Post
    Are you using iPod Touch 3G, 8GB model? That doesn't run iOS 5.0.1 firmware, because I have the same model.
    Your iPod is actually the 2G model which iOS 4.2.1 is the highest firmware you can have. The 3G iPod only come which 32 GB and 64GB model.

Thanks

Did u happen to try a regular DFU restore yet?....if so, it really sounds like a HW problem...

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petarmarinov37 View Post
    It has not, to my knowledge, been jailbroken before. I restored it immediately when I bought it used. I have tried installing the IPSW both manually, and by letting iTunes download it. It is the iPod 3G 32GB, which is supposed to be very much capable of iOS 5.0.1. It powers up, but cannot be unlocked; it freezes. I've tried jailbreaking it, still no progress.
    It could very well be a hardware problem. try a different cable, different computer. it is probably freezing because itunes is sending it broken information durring the restore.
    (null)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I suppose it was unrepairable. Thanks for trying to help I sold it on eBay for $76!