Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Carrier Unlock

Default 3GS Carrier Unlock
    I just bought my new 4s (day of the JB LOL) and passed my 4 down to my wife, as I usually do. I have long-since fulfilled my 2 yr obligation to AT&T on the 3GS she's now displaced.

I'd like to post it on eBay jailbroken AND carrier unlocked. I have long since passed the baseband that was unlockable because at the time (under contract with AT&T), I didn't have any reason to care.

Can I get this phone unlocked since the obligation is fulfilled and if so, what do I have to do to get this done or how do I do it?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Do you know the baseband on it?

He's talking about factory unlock. Yes you can as iv done it before on my iPhone 4 from Vodafone UK. I merely asked them for the unlock and they actioned it free of charge and this was within contract. Assuming the US carriers would be similar, although there may well be a nominal fee, and the phone unlocks via iTunes (ie officially) rather that having to use hacks and tweaks! Give your carrier a shout, worst they can do is say no!

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    He's talking about factory unlock. Yes you can as iv done it before on my iPhone 4 from Vodafone UK. I merely asked them for the unlock and they actioned it free of charge and this was within contract. Assuming the US carriers would be similar, although there may well be a nominal fee, and the phone unlocks via iTunes (ie officially) rather that having to use hacks and tweaks! Give your carrier a shout, worst they can do is say no!
    05.16.05 is the modem firmware rev.

Yea. I've heard AT&T wasn't so friendly about unlocking them willingly. As a matter of fact, I've read that there's actually a court case pending right now because AT&T will not unlock them period. That's kinda why I Was looking some advice.