+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IOS 5 Questions: Theming, Modding, Custom Images

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I am currently running IOS 5.0.1 (Iphone 4) on an untethered jailbreak and have many questions regarding theming and modding the overall UI of my Iphone. Before continuing, I
    Thanks

Default Edit
    Hi, I am currently running IOS 5.0.1 (Iphone 4) on an untethered jailbreak and have many questions regarding theming and modding the overall UI of my Iphone. Before continuing, I would like to note that I am creating this post as a result of the lack of information on the internet--with regards to this topic: IOS 5 Questions.

My current IOS 5 questions:

1. I would like to replace the carrier icon on my status bar with a custom image; however, I have Sprint, and everytime I SSH my IPhone and create my theme it does not apply. Within the carrier bundles folder, I cannot find any PNG images to replace with my custom icons. How can I solve this?

2. Can I create a custom status bar that will work with any theme without having to replace the images within that specific theme? For instance, I make a "Custom Status Bar" and select the theme in winterboard while running another theme (example: Legacy theme)? If so, how can I do this, and can this custom status bar theme be equipped with other custom theme adjustments (eg. Dock, Wallpaper, Custom App Icons, Page Indicators...)?

3. Is there a website (none that I know of) that contains ALL information in regards to naming icons and which folders they need to be put in to in order to customize themes? For example, most of the data I have collected is very sparse and I have yet seen a site that lists all of this information.

Simply stated: I know how to name a dock fit for retina display, but what about the "RotationLock" or "Page Indicators", etc and what are the prefixes for every one of these (Silver goes with FSO, Black goes with Default? I believe there is another status bar color for when you are browsing an app?)

4. Phew. Next question: How can I apply a "Translucent Base" to the status bar?

5. I have many more questions, but these seem to be the most important. I would love to be able to make my iPhone somewhat of a pleasure to look at; and the countless nights of scouring forums sure have not helped much. Out of the many themes I have seen there are several I have had my eyes set on. Of these few I have found one theme in particular that I would love to apply to my phone, yet the link is long since dead. Is there any way to recover the following from this theme?

How I want my IPhone to look like.

Wallpaper (I love the wallpaper, and it's simplicity)
    Widget (It makes a great addition and compliment the wallpaper)
    App Icons (The Owl mail Icon, Winterboard wand, ifile disk, etc. are far superior, I would be grateful for any of them)

-------------------------
    Dock and Status Icons:

This theme was done by Schnedi--a very famous user on this site and among others. I believe this was his custom dock, as well as the status icons. All of which I have managed to obtain, however, as previously noted, I have little experience in editing the status bar and would love some insight!

As for the dock, it's resolution is 640x118. The retina display requires a dock of 640x90 and I am still scouring forums to find out how he has manages to add it in and not push up his docked apps. I believe that he has applied to dock image to his wallpaper and used the transparent dock default setting in winterboard, but I remain skeptical on this.

The battery is from the A266 theme apparently, yet his has been altered to look different--no dashed lines.

-------------------------

All in all, I would love it if anyone could post thoughtful feedback regarding my questions or maybe even submit some of their own to this thread. I will be checking back to this post over the next few days waiting, and watching for someone to respond. I am not trying to be tedious, rather I am just trying to solve my phone issues, and I appreciate all help!

Thanks, Jake.

Edit: Found a link to an invalid/deleted file of the wallpaper used with a similar weather widget:

In the forum someone has the winterboard wand icon.. hopefully someone can refer me to a valid link. I will keep waiting.

Post your Jailbroken Home Screen (Part 3) - Page 306 - MacRumors Forums
    Last edited by xjake; 01-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 832 Posts

Ok, instead of answering your questions directly, I'm going to point you in the direction of how to find the answers yourself - I'll assume you're on a PC...

• You'll need access to your files - I use iFile (Cydia) and iFunBox to connect to my PC. The greatest part about iFunBox is that you can rip files directly to your computer and it will decode the png image files.

• Try and become familiar with the file structure of existing themes, that way you'll see what's being put where. It takes a long time to memorize where everything goes, but once you get the hang of it you can make changes very quickly. I know it's daunting at first, but go through every folder one by one and take note of the file names and images.

• Ok, now the fun stuff - you'll need lots of raw files and folders on your computer directly from iOS 5. Rip what you need to a folder on your desktop using iFunBox, start with ALL the folders in var/stash/Applications. All these folders should end with .app. Other useful files are in /System/Library/Frameworks - you should also rip all these folders to your HDD as well. I'll assume you've done this going forward. So:

Each of these files can be substituted using WinterBoard (even non-image files), you just have to know how to point your theme elements to corresponding files in iOS 5:

How to find the name of the folders to place in your new theme: Inside each .app folder you just ripped to your computer is a file named info.plist - I open them on the PC with the Rich Text Document program - once you've opened this plist file you'll see a line CFBundleIdentifier. Underneath this line is what you need to name your file in your theme (typically these go in var/stash/themes/yourtheme/Bundles).

So, for example:

You want to theme the Settings app icon ([email protected]) which is in the Preferences.app folder on your desktop: open that folder's info.plist and you'll see this line:

Code:
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.Preferences</string>
    So to theme the settings icon you go: /var/stash/themes/yourtheme/Bundles/com.apple.Preferences/[email protected]

That's how you manually find a location - you can also download and use AppInfo from Cydia, although this can give you false info sometimes.

To find the name of App Store program icons, you go to /var/mobile/Applications, find the .app folder within the program folder (the icon name is located here), then open the info.plist and find the bundleidentifier and create the corresponding folder in the Bundles folder of your theme. Easy stuff once you know what to look for. You can open these files directly in iFile, which is supremely helpful!

UI images: these are system images like the status bar and background images and buttons. These are in .artwork files inside iOS, which you can't open. They can be decoded, though. Here, these are from my computer: iOS 5 Shared.zip

These images go in your theme here: /var/stash/themes/yourtheme/Folders/UIKit.framework

• Once you learn the file names of images it becomes easier to search for a solution if you have a problem. While using Modmyi, don't use their search bar, go here instead to refine your search: Advanced Search - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

• Answers aren't always easy to find, but finding them is just part of theming! It takes a lot of searching and a ton of reading. But eventually, if you have some artistic talent, you can create an entire theme using only images you've created, then sell them on the Cydia Store for others to enjoy - kinda neat!

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Jahooba; 01-18-2012 at 10:22 PM.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (01-19-2012), Boots13 (04-09-2012), chevymusclecar (03-29-2012), iBub (04-23-2012), Schnedi (01-19-2012), trh2086 (01-19-2012), xjake (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Thank you for the help! I will look forward to editing my theme tomorrow. I am familiar with ifunbox and like the software. Thanks again!

I have one last question: is there a reason that my carrier will not change, and will replacing the files in the folder provided allow for me to have a custom provider? Or do I have to edit the carrier bundles? Am I suppposed to replace the images in your .zip with my preferred status icons (I have already downloaded several sets)? Thanks!
    Last edited by xjake; 01-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks

There's a strings or plist file somewhere that you have to edit that will point to your new carrier logo - exactly how you do this I do not know. I've seen lots of threads here dealing with this, you may want to search around a bit.

desconocido
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,391 Times in 2,194 Posts

to change you carrier you need

2 folders:
    com.apple.OPERATORNAME
    com.apple.unknown

6 images inside the 2 folders:
    Default_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME_1only_.png
    FSO_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME_1only_.png
    TS_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME_1only_.png

Default_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME@2X_1only_.png
    FSO_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME@2X_1only_.png
    TS_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME@2X_1only_.png

and the 2 folders inside yourtheme/Bundles

--------------------------

for the statusbar

CustomStatusbar.theme/UIImages

and inside 3 files

Silver_Base.png
    Black_Base.png
    Translucent_Base.png

320x20px (don't mind if it's SD or HD device)
    640x40 (just for HD device)

---------------------

the widget in the screen was modded by me download here
    the icons are from themes NFR or Beta stage (search in macthemes)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schnedi For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (03-29-2012), Jahooba (01-19-2012), The Assassin (02-04-2012), xjake (01-23-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've changed all my icons before even finding this little tutorial but the icons for the Pandora app and the iHeartRadio app will not change for some reason. I read through this tutorial and found the CFBundleIdentifier for both of them but that still did nothing. Any clues?

Thanks

Did you wipe your iconcache? Go into /var/mobile/Library/Caches and delete the folder entitled: com.apple.IconsCache*. Then reboot (not a respring - a reboot).

*Be sure not to delete the parent folder "Caches", only the IconsCashe folder!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright, I deleted the com.apple.IconsCache folder and then reboot. They still haven't changed.

Thanks

Hmm, not sure why some icons don't change. Perhaps they're cached differently? Glitch in WinterBoard?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess I'll just keep playing around with it until I get it fixed. Frustrating, but fun. I changed with no problem back in iOS 4.3.5.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to trh2086 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-19-2012)

Thanks

use SBsettings to change your carrier.

I'd like to know how to change the folderbg? i used iphone browser and extracted the png and made it pink in photoshop (for my wife) and replaced it. resprang, but it's not reflecting the change. i've done this before on 4.x and had no problem.. is something different on 5.0.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just to be sure, the FolderSwitcherBG~iphone.png file is the one you need. I'm assuming you already know which folder it goes in? yourtheme/Bundles/com.apple.springboard

17. The Following User Says Thank You to trh2086 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-21-2012)

Thanks

Schnedi you are a lifesaver! I am looking forward to modding this tomorrow and making my own theme. Thank you for your time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schnedi View Post
    to change you carrier you need

2 folders:
    com.apple.OPERATORNAME
    com.apple.unknown

6 images inside the 2 folders:
    Default_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME_1only_.png

TS_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME@2X_1only_.png

and the 2 folders inside yourtheme/Bundles

--------------------------

for the statusbar

and inside 3 files

Silver_Base.png
    Black_Base.png
    Translucent_Base.png

---------------------

the widget in the screen was modded by me download here
    the icons are from themes NFR or Beta stage (search in macthemes)
    Nothing is working so far. I have Sprint and I am using IOS 5.0.1 and I cannot change anything on the status bar at all, even through a cydia download. The weather widget is not the same as the picture because the temperature is moved around and not in the right spots. I am considering restoring after weeks of trouble with IPhones and forums.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xjake View Post
    Nothing is working so far. I have Sprint and I am using IOS 5.0.1 and I cannot change anything on the status bar at all, even through a cydia download. The weather widget is not the same as the picture because the temperature is moved around and not in the right spots. I am considering restoring after weeks of trouble with IPhones and forums.
    What themes have you tried? Have you tried contacting the authors to see if their themes are iOS 5 compatible?

Neurotech is.

What themes have you tried? Have you tried contacting the authors to see if their themes are iOS 5 compatible?

Neurotech is.

for the statusbar

and inside 3 files

Silver_Base.png
    Black_Base.png
    Translucent_Base.png

And this is wrong. You want:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

And they go in /var/stash/themes/(theme name)/Folders/UIKit.framework
    Last edited by Jahooba; 01-24-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks

Alright let me try and rephrase that. I have begun creating a custom theme following all the directions provided from a site. I have had success so far, however, it seems that no matter what I do, I cannot manually add in status icons such as wifi, battery, rotationlock, 3g bars, etc. It only works when I use a theme that is from Cydia, for example: Legacy.

Now the only problem is that these downloaded themes will not change the carrier, and even after following Schnedi's guidelines I still have not managed to fix it. I would like to avoid using plists, as I have very little experience. Next, I would like to mention that Schnedi says to use:

"Default_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME_1only_.png

TS_CARRIER_OPERATORNAME@2X_1only_.png"

These have not worked for me. does he want me to put those in my own custom theme within the folders mentioned, or should I go into var/mobile/library/carrier bundles/ ? I have been constantly looking for answers, but it seems no one has Sprint.

Also, I still do not understand the concept of the status bar, as I have been told many different things. I want my status bar to be translucent, but don't know exactly how.

Thanks

I don't believe WinterBoard supports the carrier changes, you'll have to replace the files directly in your phone. I also believe you can edit plist files in iFile - simply make sure you make a backup of the files before you start messing with it - and of course be careful and mindful of what you're changing.

For the status bar, you probably have the name of the files wrong. iOS 5 is very different from 4.

Download this folder and take a look inside - all of the files you find there go in /var/stash/themes/(your theme name)/Folders/UIKit.framework

Simply place all these files in the above location, then replace those images with your own images at the same dimensions and it should work fine.

Thanks

Ok I downloaded this earier from you, but I do not understand what it is for. I have downloaded my own images and put them into my custom theme/UIImages. They all have both sets of files (@2x.png and .png) and they do not work. What is UIKit.framework, I have never heard of this folder.

My iPhone is a Part of Me VOLTAGExDT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 486 Posts

Ok I downloaded this earier from you, but I do not understand what it is for. I have downloaded my own images and put them into my custom theme/UIImages. They all have both sets of files (@2x.png and .png) and they do not work. What is UIKit.framework, I have never heard of this folder.
    look at Jahoobas post.. your missing a folder in your root.

you say
    custom theme/UIImages

but its
    custom theme/Folders/UIKit.framework

you actually need both..