+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: errors 3194 and 21 when updating iphone 4 (5.0) to 5.0.1

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
ok so i have an iphone 4 running the BigBoss semitether ontop of redsnow 9.9b8 (or something similiar). trying to update to 5.0.1 in itunes using default hosts file, i
    Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Default errors 3194 and 21 when updating iphone 4 (5.0) to 5.0.1
    ok so i have an iphone 4 running the BigBoss semitether ontop of redsnow 9.9b8 (or something similiar).

trying to update to 5.0.1 in itunes using default hosts file, i get error 3194...
    if i try and restore to 5.0.1 then i get error 21 and chucked into recovery mode. evidentally the only possible way for me to get out of recovery is to use redsnow, itunes just loops errors

can somebody help me PLEASE BEFORE 5.0.2 IS OUT AND I MISS THE UNTETHER xD
    thanks in advance ;P

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Nobody?

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thanks

I've been getting that error as well. Havent found a way to fix it yet. Have been trying for days
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Do you have tinyumbrella installed by any chance? Error 3194 commonly occurs when you're pointing it at cydias server as opposed to apple easiest way to sort it is to uncheck the Cydia option on exit in the prefs. Otherwise you can edit your host file (win7 any way) and remove the gs.apple lines but google this as I can't remember the exact lines presently!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Dfu restore if u don't need unlock or pwned dfu shift/restore to custom cooked ipsw, then jb with latest redsn0w 0.9.10b3. If u still get 3194 error, I've always used fix recovery from TU & sometimes tu exit recovery right after. U don't need to modify host file anymore, when u check the "set hosts to cydia" & close tu it does it for u. Make sure it's unchecked & close tu which sets hosts back to Apple, then restore it.

I'm guessing ur getting error 3194 cuz it didn't restore, if it's still on iOS 4.3.5 enter regular dfu with iTunes open, cancel the iTunes "iTunes recognizes iPhone in recovery" & don't close iTunes, just minimize it & run "fix recovery 4.3" from tu site, not the fix recovery in tu it's separate. If it did go through restore process & u get 3194 then do the same thing above but use the fix recovery in tu.
    Last edited by nillam1; 01-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hi. i havent been active in the iphone community for a while now. Im outdated since i move to android two years ago. anyways. i was in the process of helping my friend update her iphone 4 on 4.2.1 (jailbroken) to version 5.0.1 (officially with itunes), but just like what the original poster posted, we kept getting errors. (21) and others if put on dfu mode. what are we doing wrong? No change on host files. Using a new laptop that was never used for jailbreaking. itunes updated. windows 7 64bit. i also tried 32bit. still no luck. I also downloaded the 5.0.1 on iclarified and tried shift restore. nothing. and when error occured i have to use fix recovery on redsn0w. which takes turns the phone back on out of recovery but still rocking 4.2.1. help please since im stumped. Not new to jailbreaking(been doing it since the first iphone). But this is killing me hahahaha.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpl3lang View Post
    Hi. i havent been active in the iphone community for a while now. Im outdated since i move to android two years ago. anyways. i was in the process of helping my friend update her iphone 4 on 4.2.1 (jailbroken) to version 5.0.1 (officially with itunes), but just like what the original poster posted, we kept getting errors. (21) and others if put on dfu mode. what are we doing wrong? No change on host files. Using a new laptop that was never used for jailbreaking. itunes updated. windows 7 64bit. i also tried 32bit. still no luck. I also downloaded the 5.0.1 on iclarified and tried shift restore. nothing. and when error occured i have to use fix recovery on redsn0w. which takes turns the phone back on out of recovery but still rocking 4.2.1. help please since im stumped. Not new to jailbreaking(been doing it since the first iphone). But this is killing me hahahaha.
    If u need to preserve bb & unlock, cook a custom firmware & instal. If u don't need unlock just restore it, u don't need to shift/restore & choose the firmware if ur not unlocking. Just remember to make a backup in iTunes first, also take note or back up all Cydia tweaks & transfer ur purchases to iTunes or you'll lose them. Also I'm guessing Apple is still signing iOS 5.0.1, if it says ios 5.1 when u try to restore, cancel it! U want iOS 5.0.1

Lastly, save her shsh's with Tinyumbrella &/or iFaith, if ur not sure check iClarified tutorials section. Google "iClarified Tutorials" k

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    If u need to preserve bb & unlock, cook a custom firmware & instal. If u don't need unlock just restore it, u don't need to shift/restore & choose the firmware if ur not unlocking. Just remember to make a backup in iTunes first, also take note or back up all Cydia tweaks & transfer ur purchases to iTunes or you'll lose them. Also I'm guessing Apple is still signing iOS 5.0.1, if it says ios 5.1 when u try to restore, cancel it! U want iOS 5.0.1

Lastly, save her shsh's with Tinyumbrella &/or iFaith, if ur not sure check iClarified tutorials section. Google "iClarified Tutorials" k
    U don't need to change the host file if ur updating to the current is firmware Apple is signing, only when updating or downgrading firmware Apple is no longer signing. To do that you'll need to have "TinyUmbrella" & saved shsh blobs in green at top, when u open Cydia on her iPhone!
    Last edited by nillam1; 01-10-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post

U don't need to change the host file if ur updating to the current is firmware Apple is signing, only when updating or downgrading firmware Apple is no longer signing. To do that you'll need to have "TinyUmbrella" & saved shsh blobs in green at top, when u open Cydia on her iPhone!
    I know all that. it just wont restore. no matter i do. i restore regularly with itunes. nothing. i enter dfu mode nothing. i shift restore with official firmware from apple. nothing