View Poll Results: Additional applications on the iPhone? When and how??

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple will release an SDK and open the phone to "official" apps

3 18.75%
  • Apple will start selling its own apps via iTunes

11 68.75%
  • 1.1.1 will get hacked and Apple will allow 3rd party apps (except for SIM unlocks)

2 12.50%
  • Significant new apps will follow shortly after Leopard is released

2 12.50%
  • Never! Apple wants it to be an iPod and phone and NOT a PDA

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: When will Apple promote 3rd party or sell their own iPhone apps?

Default When will Apple promote 3rd party or sell their own iPhone apps?
    All the snarky comments about how awful Apple is are getting tiresome (even though I agree with many of them...)

So I am curious what people's opinions are about the likelihood of Apple in the near feature either:
    [1] opening up the iPhone for official 3rd party application development (via an SDK), or
    [2]starting to sell their own.

Seems insane not to take advantage of the "full OS X" software on the phone. Can you imagine how quickly Palm and the Treo would have died had there been no additional applications developed for them?
    Last edited by Argelius; 10-02-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    All the snarky comments about how awful Apple is are getting tiresome (even though I agree with many of them...)

So I am curious what people's opinions are about the likelihood of Apple in the near feature either:
    [1] opening up the iPhone for official 3rd party application development (via an SDK), or
    [2]starting to sell their own.

Seems insane not to take advantage of the "full OS X" software on the phone. Can you imagine how quickly Palm and the Treo would have died had there been no additional applications developed for them?
    When Steve Jobs was asked the very same thing in an interview (and this makes me laugh my *** off everytime) he said the iPhone is not a PDA, its just a phone.

He also said if HE thinks customers should have an App, Apple will make it an put it there.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple will start selling its own apps via iTunes
     Think Different

i completely agree with eurisko, ... sadly

now my own personal theory is based on the line a while back that one of the apple guys didn't want to break the 3rd party apps.
    I believe the apple guys all make their own apps for their own iphones and even model them off of the 3rd party apps that are shared with everyone.

Eurisko mentioned that when they saw the "Need" for these apps on a phone, then they would be added. I mean seriously i See the need for a GPS type device, it would make it easier to get directions. also i see the need for a Search on the contact list. (for years i've kept people on my mac and now that it is easily added to the phone my 3000+ contacts sure could use an easy way to search without the need for MULTIPLE contact groups.

... ( i hope someone at apple reads this. .. I"M SURE there is an easy way to add a search to the contacts on the phone... LIKE EVERY OTHER PHONE)
    Mac is a way of life... my way of life.

...and though not really an application, this amazing phone with its amazing touch screen *really* needs cut & paste functionality...but I digress (and risk hijacking my own thread)

out of those choices, I think it would be that apple would sell apps via itunes. As quoted before, if Steve Jobs wants it on there, then it will be on there, despite what his paying customers want.
    Really?