+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOWTO] Get Siri working on iPhone 4 using Spire and SiriProxy

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I wrote this up last night with the intent of hopefully assisting people in getting Spire running correctly. There are no pictures (yet), but if you have some common sense
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool [HOWTO] Get Siri working on iPhone 4 using Spire and SiriProxy
    I wrote this up last night with the intent of hopefully assisting people in getting Spire running correctly. There are no pictures (yet), but if you have some common sense and knowledge of a UNIX command line, this should be easy. Be sure to read through it all as there are a couple of very important steps in the process.

http://methoddk.com/siriguide

Hope this helps.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to methoddk For This Useful Post:

dennischan8 (01-04-2012), djrbx (01-03-2012), Number1 (12-31-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice one! Thanks.
    Was waiting a couple of days for this.

Yours is the only guide I found so far that works 100%.
    Plus it's using the not so ancient siriproxy fork.
    Great job dude!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is really cool but I don't know a plist editor for windows that has a GUI as simple as yours. The one I'm using is just all raw code and I'm not sure if I'm entering the code correctly to match what you ask us to do in that com.assistant.plist

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Chiledog Glad it helped you out

@unreach Check out Notepad++, free, and supposed to be able to edit plists.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to methoddk For This Useful Post:

Chiledog (12-30-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK so I have a Linux host with static online fulltime. I have unix knowledge. I have obtained a iphone 4s UDID but I no longer have regular access to the iPhone 4s at this point. Is this enough to proceed with following your instructions? I read through some of the github comments you posted and it looked like the siri proxy needed to see a (or THE) 4s going through it regularly? is that the case?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You need to be able to have the 4S connect to your proxy on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by tihzy View Post
    OK so I have a Linux host with static online fulltime. I have unix knowledge. I have obtained a iphone 4s UDID but I no longer have regular access to the iPhone 4s at this point. Is this enough to proceed with following your instructions? I read through some of the github comments you posted and it looked like the siri proxy needed to see a (or THE) 4s going through it regularly? is that the case?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the guide. It worked quite well. I do want to ask about setting my server up to listen over 3g. I have No-IP and have set that up correctly. Port 443 is available through the internet, but I'm a little unsure at how to get it working on my iPod. My hosts file has been edited as shown in your guide, but it won't connect. Do I need to change the DNS in the wifi settings?

I can use siri through my iPod if I use my local ip for the dns, but I want to get the dns forwarding working on my home network first, then I'm going to hook up my iPhone 4.

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do you have dnsmasq set up correctly? Alos in your hosts file do you have the dynamic dns domain pointing to guzzoni.apple.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Number1 View Post
    Thanks for the guide. It worked quite well. I do want to ask about setting my server up to listen over 3g. I have No-IP and have set that up correctly. Port 443 is available through the internet, but I'm a little unsure at how to get it working on my iPod. My hosts file has been edited as shown in your guide, but it won't connect. Do I need to change the DNS in the wifi settings?

I can use siri through my iPod if I use my local ip for the dns, but I want to get the dns forwarding working on my home network first, then I'm going to hook up my iPhone 4.

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by methoddk View Post
    Do you have dnsmasq set up correctly? Alos in your hosts file do you have the dynamic dns domain pointing to guzzoni.apple.com?
    The host file is definitely correct. I have dnsmasq setup like this:
    address=/guzzoni.apple.com/192.168.0.13

Do I have to do this instead?:
    address=/guzzoni.apple.com/my.dns.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The host file is definitely correct. I have dnsmasq setup like this:
    address=/guzzoni.apple.com/192.168.0.13

Do I have to do this instead?:
    address=/guzzoni.apple.com/my.dns.com
    That looks good to me. in your hosts file make sure you have it like this:

your.dns.com guzzoni.apple.com

It would be a better test to start with your iPhone4. If you are getting siri responses from the iPod over wifi than its working. as far as over 3G, something isn't forwarding properly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That looks good to me. in your hosts file make sure you have it like this:

your.dns.com guzzoni.apple.com

It would be a better test to start with your iPhone4. If you are getting siri responses from the iPod over wifi than its working. as far as over 3G, something isn't forwarding properly.
    I haven't tried over 3g yet, but I'm trying to route through my No-IP address over my wifi. I guess I'll give the iPhone a go and report back.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the iPhone 4 setup. No dice on the 3g proxy. Should I be putting the port in the host file as well?
    mydns.com:443 guzzoni.apple.com

My I have 2 CN in my certs too. One is my local ip, the other is guzzoni.apple.com. Once again, I can connect on my local network, but not over 3g.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the iPhone 4 setup. No dice on the 3g proxy. Should I be putting the port in the host file as well?
    mydns.com:443 guzzoni.apple.com

My I have 2 CN in my certs too. One is my local ip, the other is guzzoni.apple.com. Once again, I can connect on my local network, but not over 3g.
    You cant have a local IP in cert. Not going to work over 3G. Just use the cert made with gencerts, no reason to use anything else.

Green Apple
    Thanks

First, thanks to the OP for the great TUT. This is the the only one that I have tried out of many that works.

Now I have set up the Proxy and I know it's working. When I change the DNS settings on my iPhone 4 to the IP address of the server running the proxy, I can get Siri to work. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work using 3G connection. I have changed my hosts file and tried different combos but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EDIT: Just like to mention that Port 443 is already forwarded to my server. I know ports aren't blocked because I'm using this same server as my VPN and that is working correctly.
    Last edited by djrbx; 01-03-2012 at 02:19 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@djrbx: do you have a static IP or a dynamic IP? I found that for a dynamic IP you need an SSL cert with two Common names. I've updated the guide for this.

If you have a static IP, make sure you're putting the IP in the hosts file, and not a domain name. (1.2.3.4 guzzoni.apple.com)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to methoddk For This Useful Post:

djrbx (01-03-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default O.O
    i think i am going to unjailbreak my iPhone 4, i dont understand anything of this ANYMORE it was soooooo easy at the begning when they first came out with breaks

Green Apple
    Thanks

@djrbx: do you have a static IP or a dynamic IP? I found that for a dynamic IP you need an SSL cert with two Common names. I've updated the guide for this.

If you have a static IP, make sure you're putting the IP in the hosts file, and not a domain name. (1.2.3.4 guzzoni.apple.com)
    Thanks, I guess I was looking at the old guide. I made the appropriate changes and now it works perfectly! Appreciate your help. Thanks for making this guide again!

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkMonk3y View Post
    i think i am going to unjailbreak my iPhone 4, i dont understand anything of this ANYMORE it was soooooo easy at the begning when they first came out with breaks
    I don't think you should give up. As far as getting Spire to work though, I suggest waiting until someone comes out with a full installable package if all this is overwhelming. Jailbreaks are easier then before actually, minus having to save SHSH keys. Other than that, nothing much has changed. I've actually recently switched to android to tie me down until the iPhone 5 comes out, and the community and getting your phone rooted is way more overwhelming/fragmented than anything on the idevice side. But as with anything, once you get used to it, it's not as bad. It just takes patience, reading, searching, and more reading.

The reason why Spire requires so much work is because Siri needs to contact Apple which translates your voice into something that the phone can understand. Spire just reroutes the data to a proxy which repackages it with the appropriate 4S keys to validate through Apples servers. Without the 4S keys, Apple will just reject the request.
    Last edited by djrbx; 01-03-2012 at 12:35 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@methoddk I just saw that you updated the guide. Thank you. You removed the reference to editing the host file. Does that still need to be done?

Edit: The new guide is totally straight and everything is working, btw I left my host file edited
    Last edited by Number1; 01-03-2012 at 05:27 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@methoddk do you have tutorial how to autostart this proxy when it crashes?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennischan8 View Post
    @methoddk do you have tutorial how to autostart this proxy when it crashes?
    Now this is something that I'd love to know how to do! Myself, my IT friend coworker, and about 5 of us have a proxy running off of another coworker's 4s keys, auto-saving them every day. But IT friend is out sick today (he is running a linux server at home) and no one's Siri works! Including the guy with the 4s

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast