+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with firmware files

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi there everybody. I am new but very pleased to have found you'll. When I downloaded My firmware files to my computer on windows 7, I find that after unzipping
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Problem with firmware files
    Hi there everybody. I am new but very pleased to have found you'll.

When I downloaded My firmware files to my computer on windows 7, I find that after unzipping the main file I have 3 main files to choose from but it appears that neither of them actually have my firmware in them and when trying to get Redsnow to recognise my firmware
    No matter which one of the 3 I choose from nothing happens. I look at hackers do it on YouTube and itvalways appears to be straightforward and just one file. Canny anybody help me? What am I doing wrong? Does anybody know. I would so appreciate help.

Many thanks

Katie

Thanks

What FW are you on? What device? What version of RS? What FW are you downloading? From whe?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Problem with firmware files.
    I have two devices that I am trying to jailbreak. one is the Ipad 2 and the other is the Iphone 4.. The Iphone already had a tethered jailbreak on it on 4.3.5. and I tried to do an untethered jailbreak on it but somethng went wrong with the jailbreak and i ended up with it totally blocked and the only way out that I could find was to do a restore in itunes. when I done the restore and got it up and running I found that it now had firmware 5.01. I was so tired and worn out from trying to jailbreak it I did not realize what I was doing and this got me updated but it was done and there was nothing that I could do about it. I was told that if I downloaded the latest Redsnow that I would be able to do an untethered jailbreak on it and this is what I attempted to do. But only to find that Redsnow was not recognising the 5.01 firmware so I decided to download the IPSW files and select this when trying to jailbreak in Redsnow. So I followed it through to the stage where I had to select my IPSW files on my computer but when I selected all I got was three different files (I had to unzip first) "all_flash" "DFU" and "USR" neither of these were being picked up. So I knew I must be doing something wrong because it is not like that when watching videos of Jailbreaks and this kind of file search being done. So I have had to abandon it altogether now. I realize that I cannot now downgrade and I am stuck with it. I could honestly kick myself.

As for my Ipad, I have not done a jailbreak on this at all yet., as there has now been one to do on it for 4.3.5. which is what is still has on it. it is the Ipad 2 and I have been a little nervous to say the least to try to jailbreak it and I was trying to do one thing at a time and just concentrating on my iphone and trying to get an untethered jailbreak but that is totally out of the question now.

I just hope that everything I have told you makes sense to you.

If there is anything that you can do I would be so grateful, or any advise that you can give me.

Regards and many thanks

Katie

Thanks

RedSn0w is tethered and you need to point it at the 5.0 ipsw from http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...4_Restore.ipsw

The iPad2 can't be JB at the moment.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Problem with firmware files.
    thanks for getting back to me so fast. Is it not true that you can get a partly untethered jb from Redsnow then?

When you say point it a 5.0 this is where my problems lie. i dont seem to be able to do that, where and how do i do that. when in Redsnow and going through the Jailbreak it does not give me an option to point it to anything and when I tried to point it at 5.01 by trying to select the files none of the files were being picked up and neither was i even getting an error message.

Would you please treat me like a child while trying to explain this to be. many thanks

Katike

Thanks

You can install semi-tether from cydia to make it semi-tethered.

Download the file I linked too and when it asks you for the ipsw just select that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default problem with firmware files.
    I will try it and let you know how i get on. many thanks again.

Hi There,

I have just tried to jailbreak my iphone 4 and i just cannot do it. i am honestly not stupid and i cannot understand what i am doing wrong. i have done so many jailbreaks in the past so i am a little confused to say the least. it look like it was jailbreaking it and then it came to a halt saying that it does not recognize the build. but it give me no option to select the files that i downloaded. if i go into extras and try to select them from there i just get this array of files that i mentioned to you earlier that do precisely nothing.

Please Please Help me!!!!

Katie
    Last edited by Katie7075; 11-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

i dont seem to be able to do that, where and how do i do that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have managed to dobit now. The problem was that I did not turn my files into ipsw's and that's what it was all about.

I have also managed to do the semi untethered through Cyria.

Many thanks again for your help.