Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S no 3G internet access after performing a restore from a Jailbroken 3GS

Default iPhone 4S no 3G internet access after performing a restore from a Jailbroken 3GS
    Hi there! I am not sure of this is the correct place to ask my question so I apologize in advance if I picked the wrong category.

I recently purchased the new iPhone 4S to replace my jailbroken iPhone 3GS running on iOS 4.0. I connected the 3GS to iTunes and performed a full backup and then connected the 4S and performed a restore. The process completed w/o errors and all my contacts, setting and media carried over to the new phone successfully. The problem that I am having is that after I performing the restore I no longer have 3G internet access on the new phone. I've attempted the following steps to troubleshoot the problem, but so far none of them worked:

1. Reset the Network Setting
    2. Toggle Cellular Data On/Off
    3. Reset all settings
    4. Restore from iTunes

In addition I have also confirmed that if I setup the 4S as a new phone, without restoring anything from backup, the 3G works perfectly fine.

I have two more things I can try, but before I proceed I wanted to check with you guys to see if there is a quicker workaround. Otherwise I am planning to try the following:

1. Backup the 3GS on a different computer and try the restore on the 4S again

2. Perform a restore on the 3GS using the original firmware, iOS 4.0, in order to remove the jailbreak. Then use the "clean" backup to restore onto the 4S

Your thoughts?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

You'll have to set up as new phone then.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieBandit View Post
    You'll have to set up as new phone then.
    This would be my very last option, unless there is an easy way to copy all the contacts and media. The only way I currently know how to do that is to sync the contacts with Windows Address-book(?) and copy the photos from the camera roll... Then plug in the new phone and sync the contacts back from the address book and sync the media/apps. Is there a quicker way?

Don't you synch your contacts and backup your photos anyway?
    upgrading to a new major bersion of iOS you should always set up as a new phone anyway, it resolves 95% of all problems.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

What email do you use on your iPhone? I have my contacts backed up through my Gmail account set up as an exchange account.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan