+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Insanelyi Repo Stole My Theme!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I say we all work on a theme together! I have experience with HTML and extensive Photoshop experience. thekirbylover seems to have experience in coding, and also seems to have
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I say we all work on a theme together!

I have experience with HTML and extensive Photoshop experience.

thekirbylover seems to have experience in coding, and also seems to have a method of protecting our work.

Mr. Russian also clearly has good experience in creating themes.

We could also copyright it! (did you know it's only $35 to file for a copyright?!) Just in case that @$$h0le "Sull" (the thief at insanelyi pirating our themes).

THEN when he does do it, we SUE HIS @$$!!
    Last edited by Inked_xx; 10-04-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

You sue this one, the next one pops up. It goes on and on. You need to pay lawyer's fees as well, you may have to spend big bucks on the long run. It is hard to control piracy , even apple cannot control cracked apps.

Thanks

There's another issue I can see here
    (and a reason that inked_xx might be able to retain legal support,
    but Mr. Russian probably wouldn't).

If you're going to sell something, it has to be yours to sell. All of it.
    I haven't seen any screenshots or samples of inked_xx -
    but I'm going to assume that he/she either created all the graphics from scratch,
    or had the creators' permission to use them in this theme.

The screenshots I've seen of Mr. Russian's theme however-
    look like they're using at least *some* logos and images that are owned by Microsoft.
    If that's the case, then he would need MS's explicit permission to use them in his theme.
    If they aren't modified versions of Microsoft-owned images but are loose, freehand "imitation" sketches
    then they might still be bumping up against trademarks. Using the name "Windows Vista" in connection with your theme is something that MS's trademarks probably would cover.

Mr.R: if you've already recognized and fixed these issues in a newer version of your theme, you have my apologizes- I'm only going by the Screenshots I can find in Cydia. If you aren't using any licensed images (or have acquired licenses from the respective holders) you may be OK, but taking any kind of legal action against 3rd parties would be close to impossible.

Inked_xx: good luck. Make sure your themes are "clean". Registering them with USPTO is good Trying to sue pirates is tough. Talk to a lawyer BEFORE you start counting your chickens. And good luck!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    There's another issue I can see here
    (and a reason that inked_xx might be able to retain legal support,
    but Mr. Russian probably wouldn't).

If you're going to sell something, it has to be yours to sell. All of it.
    I haven't seen any screenshots or samples of inked_xx -
    but I'm going to assume that he/she either created all the graphics from scratch,
    or had the creators' permission to use them in this theme.

The screenshots I've seen of Mr. Russian's theme however-
    look like they're using at least *some* logos and images that are owned by Microsoft.
    If that's the case, then he would need MS's explicit permission to use them in his theme.
    If they aren't modified versions of Microsoft-owned images but are loose, freehand "imitation" sketches
    then they might still be bumping up against trademarks. Using the name "Windows Vista" in connection with your theme is something that MS's trademarks probably would cover.

Mr.R: if you've already recognized and fixed these issues in a newer version of your theme, you have my apologizes- I'm only going by the Screenshots I can find in Cydia. If you aren't using any licensed images (or have acquired licenses from the respective holders) you may be OK, but taking any kind of legal action against 3rd parties would be close to impossible.

Inked_xx: good luck. Make sure your themes are "clean". Registering them with USPTO is good Trying to sue pirates is tough. Talk to a lawyer BEFORE you start counting your chickens. And good luck!
    I totally agree but I gave credit to Microsoft in a credits file in the theme architecture. And I also asked Microsoft customer support and I understood that I may use their images if I give credit and write that it is used by permissions from Microsoft. I can give you the link to that page if you want it.
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Thanks

Yep pathetic! Stealing people's work, I hope you guys can figure out how to block this. I've heard others complaing about repos that offer mostly all pirated themes and tweaks. It's hard to stop, but there should be ways to control it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
    I can give you the link to that page if you want it.
    Yes, please!
    Last edited by raduga; 10-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Yes, please!
    Well it's how I understood it.
    Here it is
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.mspx
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Thanks

Here is a link to my theme "Inked_xx HD"

Inked_xx HD Cydia

Thanks

InstantBoard sounds like its going to be awesome, is it going to have it's own in app store that you download themes? and also will it follow the same file structure as winterboard? or more of its own theming method like dreamboard which requires a plist style coding?

and yea there are a few piracy repos out there, there are a lot of people who will use cracked tweaks and what apps to test them before purchasing, which is understandable, I'd like to test things before i purchase them too, but idk, it takes a lot of time and effort to create complete themes, im working on one right now, I just started and still have quite a bit to go, idk, I didnt release there was so much revenue in theming

sir tims OS X Lion theme for dreamboard is amazing, i helped him beta test it, hes got some real talent

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    InstantBoard sounds like its going to be awesome, is it going to have it's own in app store that you download themes? and also will it follow the same file structure as winterboard? or more of its own theming method like dreamboard which requires a plist style coding?
    I've decided to merge it with WinterBoard (saurik wasn't pleased with having yet another WB replacement), so it'll still be the same theme structure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thekirbylover View Post
    I've decided to merge it with WinterBoard (saurik wasn't pleased with having yet another WB replacement), so it'll still be the same theme structure.
    Are You still trying to make it apply changes without respringing?

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    Are You still trying to make it apply changes without respringing?
    Yep

Thanks

Keep me posted

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nothing anyone can do about it. Sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inked_xx View Post
    I've lost approximately $750 in download revenue.
    While I sympathize with your situation, and do not condone the actions of those who have hijacked your theme, I do think that this estimate is quite optimistic on your part. Do you really think every single one of those users (or most of them anyway) who downloaded your theme from the insanelyi repo would have done so if it wasn't free? My guess is that most of them downloaded your theme for the primary reason of it being available for free, and for the secondary reason of actually liking your theme.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twitchee3 View Post
    While I sympathize with your situation, and do not condone the actions of those who have hijacked your theme, I do think that this estimate is quite optimistic on your part. Do you really think every single one of those users (or most of them anyway) who downloaded your theme from the insanelyi repo would have done so if it wasn't free? My guess is that most of them downloaded your theme for the primary reason of it being available for free, and for the secondary reason of actually liking your theme.
    I have to disagree. When when the last time YOU, or anyone else for that matter, downloaded something they didn't like, simply on the basis that it was free? I certainly have not downloaded a paid theme for free when I didn't even like the theme.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12