Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Barrel or Barrel 2?

Question Barrel or Barrel 2?
    Hello
    I was watching youtube videos about a tweak called Barrel and Barrel 2. Barrel 2 had loads more of effects compared to Barrel, but after doing some search i found that Barrel costs money, and Barrel 2 is completely free. How can that be? Everything about Barrel two seems to be better. I have no way of paying for anything on Cydia, so all of my apps are free ones, but i am strictly against piracy which restricts the amount of apps i can get. I don't want to pirate anything but i would love to have Barrel. I also learned the Barrel 2 is not from the most trusted repo so i'm very suspicious.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

It sounds like this "Barrel 2" may just be a pirated version of Barrel.

Thanks for moving my post

And i would have thought so but it has way more effects. The only reason i wanted it was because it has all those effects. I'm asking Aaron Ash about it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

Good idea. Let us know what he says about it if he responds.

He ignored me, just like every dev I email do

Hey,

Sorry to ignore your email, I'm way behind. It's a constant uphill battle (I'm several thousand emails behind).

"Barrel 2" is a pirated version of Barrel, with a separate .plist file that allows "easter egg" modes I included to be configurable from Settings. I was hoping to keep things fun by including some secrets, but this person decided to redistribute my tweak and promote pirating. For this reason I decided slowly phase out the "easter egg" modes over time. I don't believe there are any left that aren't in the official version. "Barrel 2" is now very outdated and might not even work on 5.x. I would not recommend using it at all because it's probably unstable, but also because you'd be pirating my software.

I hope to continue supporting Barrel and adding new modes over time.

If you need to contact me, twitter is probably the best way. I have notifications go to my iPhone and I try to keep up with them. Tweet @aaronash

Thanks!
    Aaron