Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about Erase the data from Unlocked iphone

My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Question about Erase the data from Unlocked iphone
    I got my iphone 4 and it unlocked now. I plan to sell it when the i5 release. question is if i go to setting>reset > Erase iphone after done this, is the iphone still remain unlock or I have to install Ultrasn0w to unlock again ? which way is safe to rease all data without going to restore process ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You ip4 remains unlocked, but please, don't do that !!. Stay far far away from that option
    For a normal non-jailbroken phone, no problems. On jailbroken phones, it will likely cause serious internal corruption. No permanent damage or harm, but it's likely to force a complete restore.

There is no easy way (except a fresh restore) to clean out your data. Some users have created 'empty iTunes backups' that can be used for this purpose. An empty backup needs an empty phone, so you can't do that now.

Maybe others have discovered an easy method that does not involve a restore.

Good luck.

I would just restore so the person can who gets your phone after you sell it can do what he wants with it from scratch

Thanks

oh. so the safest way is restore then jailbreak and unlock again ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes, a restore is the best way to clean and remove old data. Keep in mind, the current firmware version is not unlockable. So a custom built older firmware is required to keep your unlock ... and .. old version SHSH blobs are required for any old version restore.

If you are unsure about what I'm describing, please read "All About SHSH" and "Tiny Umbrella" in my signature area below for great information.

Thanks

ok, thanks... yeah i know how to jb and unlock but just don't want to do it unless I have to. I save the SHSH since it was 3.01 I think.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

To clean out all data, a restore is not 100% required but it's sure the best, fastest, and easiest.

If I want to clean out my personal stuff without a restore, I'll go into /var/mobile/Library and delete the following folders: Address Book, Calendar, Mail, Notes, and SMS then immediately reboot. Seems dangerous sure, but after the reboot, new and empty folders are recreated. WebClips can also be deleted, maybe more.

Deleting/changing personal settings from the Settings app, like mail accounts, and the like or personal entries in the Stock/Weather/etc apps can usually be done from the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences folder. I do this rarely, because I'm less confident it won't cause a problem. Then the passwords in the Keychaines folder to think about, and a few more bits and pieces all over the phone.

In the end, a restore seems the only 'logical' course of action for a thorough cleaning.
    Last edited by Mes; 09-27-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Before you sell it, for the sake of your personal privacy, I suggest you use a three-party data eraser instead of setting>reset > Erase iphone, that will be protect your personal information more. You can have a try iPhone Data Eraser which can erase all data including contacts, messages, call history, apps, system setting, photo, video, keyboard cache, safari bookmark. And even the most advanced software can't recover the deleted data.
    here is the method:
    Step 1. Launch the IPhone Data Eraser and connect your iPhone to the computer
    Step 2. Choose Erase all data on device and click on it
    Step 3. Start to erase all data on your device now
    Step 4. Click “Done” and the wiping completed

The most secure way is using professional third-party software like iPhone Data Eraser, which is a reliable and effective tool to smash everything on your iPhone, including contacts, messages, photos, videos, apps, account info, passwords, photos and other personal data.
    Last edited by arivalamy; 11-25-2013 at 02:35 AM.