Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Message from service provider

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Message from service provider
    My wife uses a 3gs, still on 4.0 firmware. This week she received a message from our provider, Softbank Japan, saying that due to some changes at their end which will happen in October, she may get some issues using the phone unless she upgrades to at least 4.2.
    Now I don't want to upgrade as she will be due for a replacement soon, iPhone 5 or whatever, my plan is to jailbreak, unlock and sell it...
    Anyone had a similar experience with other providers?

Don't do it. Sounds like smoke-and-mirrors

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Check it with TinyUmbrella to see if u can go to 4.3.3 as it is jailbreakable/unlockable if u preserve the baseband

If u don't know how to do this please ask it's also on YouTube just search for "iPhone check firmware TinyUmbrella"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

IF (and that's a BIG IF) it's true ... upgrade when it's really needed or sell it and buy a new one

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Check it with TinyUmbrella to see if u can go to 4.3.3 as it is jailbreakable/unlockable if u preserve the baseband

If u don't know how to do this please ask it's also on YouTube just search for "iPhone check firmware TinyUmbrella"
    Already run Tinyumbrella, 4.3.3 should be ok. I'll just wait though, I think it's a precautionary message rather than a must do.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here, ps before you go about updating it I STRONY SUGGEST you ask for our help that way you don't accidentally screwup the baseband and possibly brick it from ever being unlockable or even jailbreakable