+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring and Re-Jailbreaking an iPhone 3Gs?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
post #14 is what I quoted. He has his blobs.
    Thanks

post #14 is what I quoted.
    He has his blobs.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

FYI...shsh blobs I believe are hashes of files and lots of components on the device along with FW...apple uses them to validate the device and let the phone be restored. If you have blobs saved for a particular version of iOS, u can restore to it. iTunes can be faked out as apple signing the files And allow the restore..(I think I'm explaining this right)....anyway if u only have 4.1 4.3.3-4.3.5 blobs, then u can restore to those FW versions..if I were u, I would stay on 4.2.1. 4.2.1 is best on 3GS I always say...u can download a tool called iFaith...google it. Follow directions to save blobs in iFaith. What iFaith does is take the blobs off the phone and u can use it then to create a signed ipsw(iOS) of the CURRENT version of iOS u r running. This should allow u to restore to that version should u need to....without TU or cydia saved blobs. I have created my 4.2.1 signed ipsw, but havent had to use it yet...phone works great!! I have read that folks have had success with that...so that is what I recommend u do before doing anything else..u might not like 4.3.3(stuttery scrolling and launching apps)...so I would want u to at least be able to attempt going back to where u are...at worst, at least u could go to 4.1 with TU. Does this make sense?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Does this make sense?
    No

iFaith is for people that don't already have their blobs saved.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    ?..iFaith is for people that don't already have their blobs saved.
    You're good! Short & sweet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    You're good! Short & sweet.
    If I appear abrupt I apologise. I don't mean too but do tend to say what I think - without thinking how it appears to others. My thoughts sometimes run ahead of my brain....

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No apology necessary. As you well understand, it's difficult to provide 'the correct amount' of information.
    Too little or too much is likely to leave the reader confused.

Most of the time it's better to start-off brief and add more when necessary.
    Maybe I will learn this too one of these days (haha)

Cheers

Thanks

You are a mod - and you dont get to be one unless you know 'enough'

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thank you. I've followed you for years and know your excellent skills.
    Many times I believe I know just 'enough' to get into trouble

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    How about we stick on topic here guys, also, it did make sense to me. Less information is not always good when you do not have a clue what you are doing. No apology needed in this case, but for future reference short and sweet is not always best. It could've avoided all of these extra posts had you explained to me what blobs were in the beginning.

Anyway, maybe im going about this wrong. Maybe I should've posted a question asking if upgraded firmware will infact fix a low signal strength?

As I said in my OP, the main reason I was told to update was because it would effect my signal strength. Ever since coming back from vacation, an area with no service, I have had degraded signal. That is when I set on this journey to find out how to update firmware on an already jailbroken phone.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Yes sir

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbphoto615 View Post

Anyway, maybe im going about this wrong. Maybe I should've posted a question asking if upgraded firmware will infact fix a low signal strength?
    Almost certainly not.

Thanks
    EDIT:
    Ok Con, so it wont fix the issue? Scratch out that post, haha, do you have any suggestions on how to fix the signal strength?
    Last edited by kbphoto615; 08-19-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks

Read up on Tiny Umbrella - cydia tells you which blobs you have and if you use TU you can restore to any of those - including 4.3.3 so you can use jailbreakme to JB (assuming it still works)

Thanks
    Ok. So just to be clear. I want to make sure my blobs are saved. Restore to firmware 4.3.3 and then re jailbreak my iphone? correct?

This baseband stuff im reading about on TU's homepage, do I need to worry about that? You mentioned it before as well, but im still unclear what it means or what baseband I have, and why it's important. Again im sorry I require so much explanation guys.

Thanks

Con...I know iFaith is for folks that don't have their blobs saved...this person does, but he doesn't have his current iOS version blobs..that's what iFaith is for. I was trying to help him keep his current version just in case...i know 4.3.x sucks on 3GS for me...I didn't realize he had a possible hw problem,,sorry I'm so wordy....just trying to be thorough...if I'm no help, kick me off...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Con...I know iFaith is for folks that don't have their blobs saved...this person does, but he doesn't have his current iOS version blobs..that's what iFaith is for. I was trying to help him keep his current version just in case...i know 4.3.x sucks on 3GS for me...I didn't realize he had a possible hw problem,,sorry I'm so wordy....just trying to be thorough...if I'm no help, kick me off...
    So how would I go about using iFaith? what exactly do I need to do?

thanks in advance.

EDIT:

well re-reading your post you say 4.2.1 works best for you, I haven't ever run into any problems with my firmware or my iphone for that matter until this degraded signal strength. I may just try and find other options to fixing this issue before messing with this update any further.
    Last edited by kbphoto615; 08-19-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks

Sorry I took so long...I don't live in here as others do,,I don't have my pc up now so going from memory ..download latest version of iFaith. I think that site had directions on it so read up. Follow directions. Plug phone in. Shut down iTunes if it pops up. Here is good directions page.........http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/ifai...ed-ios-windows Run iFaith. Click on dump shsh. Say no to tv question if it's a phone. Power off device. Follow on screen instructions to put phone In DFU mode. Program will dump shsh blobs. When done it will ask where to save. Save. Remember where that was. Close program. Unplug phone n reboot normal. Thats all with phone....Rerun iFaith. Choose build signed ipsw with blobs. U can brows to 4.2.1 ipsw file if u all ready have it, or choose to let iFaith download it for u. I think it will also ask to browse to where u saved ur blobs. Do that and let iFaith do it's thing to create the signed ipsw file. Once it's done doing that close program. Now u should be able to restore to 4.2.1 if u need to..Now, as far as a signal issue....have u checked in area of known good signAl with another phone on same carrier? What carrier? That could be a radio hw issue on ur phone if others are ok..is this low 3G Signal, or edge? If 3G, go into settings and turn off 3G and see if edge signal comes in better.. R u dropping calls? Does wifi work ok?

Thanks
    Hey, I dont think I use Edge? I use Wifi and 3g. I turn 3g off and it gets a little better temp, but then it degrades as well. I am not dropping calls, but texts take forever to send. Wi Fi does work ok as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Hmmm...well, don't know what to tell u really..it could be provider issue, or hw issue on ur phone....I don't know that updating would help..I dunno, it's your call really...what carrier u have?

Thanks
    AT&T. Technician told me to update so I think im gonna go that route. But I think I may hold off a couple wks. The more and more I read the more Im reading about 4.3.5 is being ignored, as far as untethering goes, because the next one will be out soon. Probably just wait and see if service gets any better. If not I'll check back in with questions here. I appreciate all the help guys!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12