+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One thing that I wish Cydia could do.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
... is inform the user that the selected package will require either a respring or reboot to complete the install. Either that, not force the user to do either at
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default One thing that I wish Cydia could do.
    ... is inform the user that the selected package will require either a respring or reboot to complete the install. Either that, not force the user to do either at the end of the install and give the option to go back into Cydia to perform the reboot / respring at a later time.

With the current firmware only having a tethered jailbreak, it really isn't an option for anybody to install anything other than simple themes when they are away from a computer which they can run redsn0w or sn0wbreeze on. Giving the user the ability to see whether the tweak or app will reset their iDevice will help them install more on the fly.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sherminator View Post
    ... is inform the user that the selected package will require either a respring or reboot to complete the install. ...
    A good idea

It may not be that easy to implement. As it exists today, Cydia doesn't have the reboot/respring knowledge until after the package is downloaded and extracted.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

seems to me that info could be put into the description by the developer of the app, then you would know if you wanted to install it first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

Cydia needs a major upgrade. Unfortunately Cydia is only one dude, Saurik, and he spends most of his time on other projects. Hopefully all that new experience he's getting will translate into a better Cydia in the future, but for right now that's all we've got.

Either that needs to happen, or a competitor needs to rise up. One that is paid-access, sans-ads, loads quickly, and is geared towards designers. For instance, give us the power to create our own Cydia page - let us customize the graphics, buttons, etc. Access to customization features can be granted through Paypal payments, perhaps. Smarter people than I could make it work much better than Cydia, I'm sure.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

^agreed.
    There needs to be an alternative. For that all jb tools would have to install the alternative as default. A thought just came to my mind that saurik ( I hate him. He is a lazy ***) must be paying all jailbreak dev teams some money for cydia as default installer.. ( don't start thrashing fanboys It might be true)

To OP I had a workaround in old cydia . I used to terminate cydia when it asked for reboot using snsettings. DOESNOT work now though :-/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Comex has been working on something new JB wise that will allow a package to install from cydia and not have to have a respring. Right now the way that the phones are jailbroken most tweaks that have to alter certain parts of the OS are required to have reboot. That also affects what cydia can and can't do. It is unable to notify a user because of it. It would thus require the dev to put a note. There are a lot of things that may come down the pipe for cydia it all depends on the technical limitations that need to be taken care of from the jailbreak side. All thing said, the change from cydia from 1.0 to 1.1 had some significant changes and was all done by comex I believe.

I have been studying up on Cydia to see if there are some things that I can implement, such as landscape mode. Cydia is open sourced so any one can generate code and make changes to it though not a lot of people undertake the endeavor.

There have been competitors. Rock, Icy, and i think either icy or installer is making a comeback as an alternative. Rock is no longer around as it was bought by Cydia. It was not generating any revenue and the expenses for running it soon overtook it. Icy just stopped one day. The main difference betwen Cydia and those two were how the file structure was set up. Both Rock and Icy hosted the files themselves which made for some better features and a quicker time to get up because the files were localized. Cydia does not host the files theirselves but rather has the devs set up their own repository. I think that the new competitor will be choosing the same path as rock and icy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

^rock earned a lot ..

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Personally guys (and gals ), I'm happy w/Cydia. Very happy It's not like I install something every day or several times a day. Once the phone is set up, a [re]check twice a week or so is sufficient. Cydia doesn't need to have tons of bells and whistles or the latest cutting-edge technology innovation.

With all the new issues Apple continually introduces to stop jailbreaking, I prefer them spending their time on that.