+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery Drain Question

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I had a guy bringing me his iphone 4 complaining about the horrible battery drain since he has updated it to 4.3.3 firmware. He then asked me what causes this
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default Battery Drain Question
    I had a guy bringing me his iphone 4 complaining about the horrible battery drain since he has updated it to 4.3.3 firmware. He then asked me what causes this traumatic drain to which I couldn't give him a proper answer. I simply told him to downgrade his fw and to always activate using an official sim as this will help with his batter drain problem.

Now I bring this question to all of you to see if someone can give me a reasonable legitimate answer:

"What determines the excessive battery drain? Is it the iOS revision (firmware), the modem firmware (baseband), or a combination of both?"

I'm pretty positive the more apps running, the more stuff running in the background, etc. causes heavy battery drain stand alone but when it really comes down to it, what is the possible root cause of the heavy battery drain if there is one?

Please, someone help me so I can stop all the bad battery drain questions being thrown at me
    Last edited by ihappy; 07-20-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: changed info

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Excessive battery drain?

Most likely a run-away process. It could be running all the time or running too frequently. That was the issue with lockdown and improper activation.

Thanks

There's always been battery drain issues with every update...backups have historical tendency to get corrupted. Restore again but when iTunes asks to restore from backup or setup as a new phone, setup as new phone. I usually do this after i do the plain update...first, Make sure everything is backed up on pc in some fashion. Copy pics n vids down out of Camera Roll. Apps n purchases n music synced in iTunes, contacts n calendar n noted backed up somehow...I use outlook 2007. Make sure everything is backed up first then do the restore. This usually clears alot of issues. Sometimes just a hard reset works, or toggling off and on airplane mode...google it or look around. There isn't just 1 solution. Try the non-destructive options first obviously...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    There's always been battery drain issues with every update...backups have historical tendency to get corrupted. Restore again but when iTunes asks to restore from backup or setup as a new phone, setup as new phone. I usually do this after i do the plain update...first, Make sure everything is backed up on pc in some fashion. Copy pics n vids down out of Camera Roll. Apps n purchases n music synced in iTunes, contacts n calendar n noted backed up somehow...I use outlook 2007. Make sure everything is backed up first then do the restore. This usually clears alot of issues. Sometimes just a hard reset works, or toggling off and on airplane mode...google it or look around. There isn't just 1 solution. Try the non-destructive options first obviously...
    Thanks for the reply but I'm not looking for solutions as I know numerous solutions for fixing bad battery drain issues. I am actually looking for feedback on what are the root causes of excessive battery drain.

Apparently it varies from device to device. But from what I have been reading it also varies from what firmware you are using as some are more battery dependent than others. But I also read that the baseband can play a role in this as well as multiple apps running in the background and notifications always being kept on.

I remember you having numerous problems with your 3GS. Ever experience any heavy battery drain even with the device sitting idle??
    Last edited by ihappy; 07-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

I've noticed that having alot of apps using location services and push notifications don't help. The phone is in constant use by having them all switched on also if you have numerous mail accounts on top.

I was experiencing bad drain after updating to 4.3.3 it would lose 10% in 6hrs on standby!!! Turned out to be the JB. I restored last night JB a different way and low and behold woke up this morning and only lost 2%!!

Heavy themes and alot of "background" Cydia stuff also play a part too.

Should always try and do a full cycle charge too when possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Thanks for the reply but I'm not looking for solutions as I know numerous solutions for fixing bad battery drain issues. I am actually looking for feedback on what are the root causes of excessive battery drain.

Apparently it varies from device to device. But from what I have been reading it also varies from what firmware you are using as some are more battery dependent than others. But I also read that the baseband can play a role in this as well as multiple apps running in the background and notifications always being kept on.

I remember you having numerous problems with your 3GS. Ever experience any heavy battery drain even with the device sitting idle??
    Oh ok. I'm sorry.. Yeah, the worst issue I had I think was on 4.0.1. If I remember right, it was draining fast. I nosed around in settings and noticed that when in the spot that talked about tethering, it would constantly clock next to the data symbol and never come up with the verbiage about setting it up. That was killing it quick! I think I restored on that.. Seems it came back 1 more time. Never saw that issue after 4.1. I really haven't had any other battery issues since...the only other operational issues I've had was the 4.3 and 4.3.1 update, and those weren't really battery issues, but performance of UI.