+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Warranty question about second hand iphone?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I bought my iPhone 4 off ebay about six months ago, and after registering it under my appleid on apple's "my profiles" or what it's called, I see that it
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Warranty question about second hand iphone?
    I bought my iPhone 4 off ebay about six months ago, and after registering it under my appleid on apple's "my profiles" or what it's called, I see that it is under warranty until this coming october.

The battery is (at least in my opinion), fairly bad, and either way I would like to get a new one before the warranty is up. I currently have it jailbroken and unlocked to use on T-Mobile and I'm not sure how to go about getting a new one. Obviously I would restore my phone to stock iOS when I bring it in, but will I have any problems getting a new one given my situation? I'm just wondering because I'm not the original owner, and I don't know if they'd give me a hard time because I'm not an AT&T customer.

Anyone know how I should go about doing this?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

As long as the phone isn't stolen/lost and blacklisted, you are likely eligible for an exchange. So long as the device doesn't look like it's sustained damage such as water or dropped, and it shouldn't matter if you're the original owner or not (like I said tho as long as it isn't blacklisted) then you should be good to go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips. It's really in great condition besides a weak battery, so I don't think that should be an issue. I was mainly just worried about not being an AT&T customer, as I've heard from some people that in order to receive service for a phone you need to have an AT&T sim card.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you take it to Apple, which is what you're supposed to do anyway for exchanges or repairs, it doesn't matter if you're with AT&T or Verizon or whatever. I mean, unless the phone isn't a US phone, I *think* (not 100% sure) the warranty doesn't apply. I believe each country the phone is from is where it can be serviced, so if you had a Canadian iPhone it won't be serviced in the US. But I've read around and that's what I'm seeing but I'm can't confirm it.

BUT in the case of not being an AT&T or Verizon customer, I don't think it should matter. It's worth a try, better than not trying right?

If you take it to Apple, which is what you're supposed to do anyway for exchanges or repairs, it doesn't matter if you're with AT&T or Verizon or whatever. I mean, unless the phone isn't a US phone, I *think* (not 100% sure) the warranty doesn't apply. I believe each country the phone is from is where it can be serviced, so if you had a Canadian iPhone it won't be serviced in the US. But I've read around and that's what I'm seeing but I'm can't confirm it.

BUT in the case of not being an AT&T or Verizon customer, I don't think it should matter. It's worth a try, better than not trying right?