Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4s/5?....

Default iPhone 4s/5?....
    so im thinking about getting an iPhone 4 in like september or around that time and i was wondering if theres a chance that the iPhone 4 will cost less (because of the release of some sort of new iPhone).... btw does anyone know when the new iPhone is coming out?

if im not mistaken the rumor is iphone 4s/5 will be released in september around the 7th i believe.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,884 Times in 6,040 Posts

Moved to correct forum thread.

Right now all we have are rumors regarding the iPhone 5 hardware, but some analysts are saying there will be a cheaper iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5 released around the same time. Other analysts say the iPhone 5 will come out summer 2012. We just don't know.

From The Wall Street Journal:

The WSJ’s own Yukari Kane and Ethan Smith first reported on the less-pricey iPhone back in February. Deutsche Bank says that Apple could offer an unlocked version of the iPhone 4S with a prepaid voice plan, similar to the 3G data plan offered with Apple’s iPads. They put the iPhone 4S price at $349 unlocked. The iPhone 4 currently costs $649 unlocked and $199 with a contract. Deutsche Bank did not make any predictions as to the capabilities of the iPhone5.

Another report, from the analysts Sterne Agee, says this fall’s iPhone upgrade will be relatively minor — more along the lines of the 3G to 3GS transition of several years ago. Users can expect a faster processor, better camera and new software. A 4G LTE iPhone is more likely for fall 2012, they predict, as Apple needs to improve upon 4G battery life and coverage is still “in its infancy.” Next year will most likely see the launch of a new iPad, although it could come sooner to stay above competitive offerings expected from HPQ, Toshiba and others, they write.
    I'm still curious as to why Apple missed their usually June release date for the next iPhone. There could be more than a few reasons:

• The Tsunami in Japan disrupted the production of critical hardware.
    • Time was given to carriers to profit off of their recent acquisition of the iPhone 4.
    • Apple wants to break their lock-step cycle of hardware releases to keep consumers guessing - this way consumers will never know when the next big device will actually land, enticing them to buy during the typical slow season.
    • There were unforeseen problems in the production of certain hardware elements.
    • Apple wanted to wait for the release of iOS 5, work out the bugs in iCloud, then release it all together in September.
    • Steve Jobs wasn't happy with something and told his designers to go back to the drawing board late in the cycle.
    • Or, maybe they were waiting for a new technology to land (such as ThunderBolt) and they needed time to incorporate it into the new design.

It could be a mix of some of the above, or one I haven't thought of.

But, one thing you should absolutely do: wait until September before you decide on what to buy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (06-28-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

• The Tsunami in Japan disrupted the production of critical hardware.
    • Time was given to carriers to profit off of their recent acquisition of the iPhone 4.
    • Apple wants to break their lock-step cycle of hardware releases to keep consumers guessing - this way consumers will never know when the next big device will actually land, enticing them to buy during the typical slow season.
    • There were unforeseen problems in the production of certain hardware elements.
    • Apple wanted to wait for the release of iOS 5, work out the bugs in iCloud, then release it all together in September.
    • Steve Jobs wasn't happy with something and told his designers to go back to the drawing board late in the cycle.
    • Or, maybe they were waiting for a new technology to land (such as ThunderBolt) and they needed time to incorporate it into the new design.

This is a great list of reasons. Well said.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (06-28-2011)

I was guessing that Apple missed the normal June release date because Steve Jobs has been sick and absent from the daily operations at Apple. I saw him as the driving force behind the innovation at Apple. With him out of the picture for the most part, Apple starts to become more like any other company: missing deadlines, borrowing ideas from other companies, and coming out with cheaper products to hit the entry-level market.

ahhh i see. so whenever the new iPhone comes out (this september, christmas,.... as much as they wanna stall) the iPhone 4 should become cheaper right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    ahhh i see. so whenever the new iPhone comes out (this september, christmas,.... as much as they wanna stall) the iPhone 4 should become cheaper right?
    Hope so. They made the iPhone 3GS cheaper when the iPhone 4 was released. I'm thinking they would lower the price too on the iPhone 4 when the new iPhone comes out.
    Twitter | @infinitypark003
    YouTube Channel | Infinitypark003

Do Apple stores take trade-ins or sell refurbished phones? A refurbished (cheaper) iPhone 4 would probably be a good deal.

The Apple online store used to sell refurbished original iPhones super cheap back in the day, but I haven't seen anything super cheap there for some time.

I read an article today saying many analysts think the 2 iPhone rumors are bunk, but there is a possibility the 3GS will stick around awhile longer with an even lower price to compete with Android, free with contract or $399 without contract.