+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone will not charge unless it is turned off completely - HELP!!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Have you tried another cable?
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you tried another cable?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm sure you can make a custom firmware file with no baseband using Redsnow and then DFU restore with iTunes. the key here is to see if it charges when not jailbroken. Have you had either PwnTunes or PhotoAlbumPlus installed as they can stop USB from working if not installed/uninstalled correctly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Had same issue here with iPhone 4 that I purchased
    Hey Kally and all of you who are having same issue.
    I had the exact same issue and boom it is solved.
    First let me go over the symtoms.

Just like Kally was having the charging issue with the 3GS, my just bought (bought used from local seller as a damaged phone) iPhone 4 GSM was not taking charge when plugged in to a charger.
    Wall charger, car charger, didn't matter.
    When connecting to computer, computer detects is but not able to successfully install the driver, therefore iTunes doesn't detect it.
    Put it in a DFU or Recovery Mode, did NOT matter.
    Funny thing is it charges when it is turned off.
    If you turn the device off and connect it to a charger, it will probably turn on automatically and stop charging again.
    In order for you to charge it, you have to connect it to a charger and turn it off by sliding to turn off, not by pressing home and power together for 6 secs, because it will turn on again.

This particular iPhone 4 had some water damage when I first got it. I had it cleaned and put back, of course I cleaned the charging port and speaker mic mashes while it was stripped as usual.
    First, I replaced to a different charging port when I first found out the issue. Did not work.
    And since I already saw the water damage, I thought it was not quite cleaned it, so I cleaned it one more time. Still not fixed.
    This phone is black and I only had 1 black charging port in my shop. But after trying to fix and fix, I decided to try with the white port I had just incase the black port was bad.
    And Boom,, I hear the glorious sound BBI-BBIP !!
    Wasted so much time on this but still happy that it is fixed..
    The 1 black charging port was also bad one when I looked at it under microscope.

So I suggest you to change the charging port if your problem has not been solved yet.

The original black charging port was waster damaged to the inside (near the see thru seal that contacts the mic and speaker black plastic) that alcohol and brush were not able to reach it to clean it. And the defective charging port that I had wasted me a good amount of time too.

Hope you all fix your phones too !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to simonsong82 For This Useful Post:

kwr8 (11-19-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Problem Solved!?!
    After many months, I have solved my problem, but I still can't explain why, and can't reconcile with simonsong82's very helpful details of his solution.

To recap, I had the charging/synching described by many here. I could reproducibly (about 1 in 3 attempts) get a temporary connection if I dissembled my iPhone, disconnected the internal orange dot #4 cable from main board to the charge cable port. (I had replaced with three different charge cable ports without helping except for temporary inital connection in first connect, and used many different cables).

Then, I backed up my iPhone to another computer (had to use orange #4 cable disconnect method to get it recognized). When I rebacked it up on my main computer, it had to erase all the back-up files and re-write them. Then voila! Since then (a few months ago), my iPhone connects without a hitch each time, and can charge it in all ways with all my cables, on or off, and sync without a problem.

Can anyone explain this? The only thing it seems to me is that it is a software issue (because it could charge when off, and replacing ports didn't help, but unplugging and replugging in orange dot #4 internal cable helped (temporarily)). Can anyone shed any further light on this?

It is sure nice to be able to charge, whenever, whereever, and connect to the computer; yes the BBI-BBIP is a glorious sound after all this. Oh the little things I took for granted! Hope this helps others.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default orange #4 cable disconnect method?
    Would you be so kind and explain this method? My phone only goes to 3% and then it shuts down.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kwr8 View Post
    After many months, I have solved my problem, but I still can't explain why, and can't reconcile with simonsong82's very helpful details of his solution.

To recap, I had the charging/synching described by many here. I could reproducibly (about 1 in 3 attempts) get a temporary connection if I dissembled my iPhone, disconnected the internal orange dot #4 cable from main board to the charge cable port. (I had replaced with three different charge cable ports without helping except for temporary inital connection in first connect, and used many different cables).

Then, I backed up my iPhone to another computer (had to use orange #4 cable disconnect method to get it recognized). When I rebacked it up on my main computer, it had to erase all the back-up files and re-write them. Then voila! Since then (a few months ago), my iPhone connects without a hitch each time, and can charge it in all ways with all my cables, on or off, and sync without a problem.

Can anyone explain this? The only thing it seems to me is that it is a software issue (because it could charge when off, and replacing ports didn't help, but unplugging and replugging in orange dot #4 internal cable helped (temporarily)). Can anyone shed any further light on this?

It is sure nice to be able to charge, whenever, whereever, and connect to the computer; yes the BBI-BBIP is a glorious sound after all this. Oh the little things I took for granted! Hope this helps others.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default so...
    i have read the whole forum and i too have the same problem...but please correct me if im wrong because i may be, but what im getting is its the type of usb im using? honestly i never knew if it mattered what type i used. i have used the same one that came with it when i had gotten it... but see what stumps me is, my phone worked fine untill i updated it with the most recent update apple sent out (i forgot the version number) but the day after it was installed.. it quit charging while it was on.. but charged while it was off... i cant do anything untill its fixed.. and i wont lie im not exatly made of money so i cant just throw some money into something i have a slight chance in succeeding in..just saying lol... and by the way.. its not a jailbroken phone either.... please help? thanks
    Last edited by coltonpayne95; 02-13-2013 at 12:33 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default same problem
    Hi guys,

Im having exactly the same problem, i took it to be checked my a tech friend of a friend and he said it was the battery and the charger dock, he changed it and said it worked for a few hours and then it went again to only charging when its turned off! I have read the whole thread and im really desperate because i already spent a lot fixing it and i have not even dropped my phone (and i have butter hands) but ive really been carefull so i dont understand why this is happening. Pleaseee somebody help me!!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12