Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WARNING: Do not update Resupported4 !!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default WARNING: Do not update Resupported4 !!
    Don't update resupported4 to the latest (1.6.3 Apr 8, 2011)) via Cydia

I just updated and my phone 3GS w/4.2.1 won't boot. AppleBootLogo for 5 minutes, then it adds a spinning wheel (like during a respring) for 2 minutes, then both images freeze for 2 more minutes --- Update: the display remains frozen (does not reboot).

Note: Resupported4 is a MobileSubstrate item, so if it fails, you're stuck. SSH, iPhoneExplorer, etc won't work.
    Note: Resupported4 v 1.6.1 (released yesterday (Apr 7, 2011)) is fine.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-08-2011 at 11:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Xtropy (04-08-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you can't get into SSH with it frozen then it sounds like a restore job. I know that there is a way of disabling MobileSubstrate files manually in SSH if you did manage to login to it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

You might be able to do some magic by modifying the right files iRecovery, but you should know what your doing.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^I know which file to modify (the last installed resupported4.dylib (v1.6.3) in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries)) ... but the challenge is getting access to the device filesystem which does not work w/SHSH, iPhoneBrowser, iPhone Browser, etc. I'm attempting the SHSH ramdisk method posted by Msft.guy. No luck yet, but I have made some progress.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

... rub it in .....

I've been working on Win7 for a month now, not much on this 3GS, only updates. (Have a 'generic' 3G now after the last fiasco). Looks like my primary 3GS is headed that way too. This is getting old. If I didn't need ultrasn0w, MS (and apps that need it) would be gone -- maybe

I am surprised MS does not disable itsself after an unsuccessful boot. Because if anything in it's load path fails --- it's recovery time.

If anything, disappointed in myself. My low-level recovery skills are not-quite there yet.......... and its taking longer than I thought.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

Thats actually a pretty good idea. Wonder if something like that could be implemented as a fail safe with mobile substrate.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

I know but if you put your device in recovery and run the iRecovery script, you can access certain parts of the filesystem, and, I think, that file.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Sorry to hear your phone is crashing, but..

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Note: Resupported4 is a MobileSubstrate item, so if it fails, you're stuck. SSH, iPhoneExplorer, etc won't work.
    Resupported4 being a MS extension /implies/ that SSH and AFC2 protocols should still work just fine. If your phone is struggling to make it that far and you're still suspicious of Resupported4,

1. Reboot your phone with nothing attached to the dock
    2. Attach it to your computer using a cable which is only good for USB. Do not use an audio dock or an AV cable
    3. Try SSH and/or AFC2

Resupported4 only runs on iapd and SpringBoard-derivative processes, and iapd is started on demand only when some accessory is attached (iapd = iPod Accessory Protocol Daemon). The SSH and AFC2 daemons should not be affected by this.

Until I see a crash report or hear evidence that the 3 steps mentioned makes a difference, I'm inclined to believe there's something else involved. Due to discussions with someone else, it sounds like the ikee virus may be going around again (they sent me a poc-bbot crash log when I didn't even ask for it). It seems that this virus can close your SSH ports on its own. Is it possible something similar struck your device?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^phoenix3200 ....

Thanks for your reply ..... however since it crashed and can not be accessed, it's impossible to send anything and 'prove' it doesn't work.

I'm not a novice, nor am I an expert either, however I am 90% positive it's MS issue ... and something it's doing at boot-up preventing ANYTHING else from working. SSH, AFC2, and anything that uses either do not work. 3GS w/4.2.1. In the good old 1.1.4, 2.x, 3.x days ... I could almost always SHSH in and fix something, not today, not if the problem is MS related.

---------==========---S O L V E D ----------===========
    Now ---- for the GOOD NEWS Working again

I followed the SSH/ramdisk guide by Msftguy Mostly iPhone hacking: Booting SSH ramdisk on new devices, extracting the correct goodies for my 3GS/4.2.1, loading the ramdisk etc, mux'd ssh to USB, ssh in, and, complete access. Delete the last two dylib files installed:
    rm /mnt1/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/resupported.*

Sync, sync, sync, disconnected, power/home forced shutdown (surely a better method exists but it worked), reboot.

It's up and running 100%. I'm a happy camper. AND ... I have finally figured how to remove an offending MS dylib that would otherwise require a complete restore.

phoenix3200.... Maybe now I could start again, enable syslog, reload Resupported4 and get you a crash log ... but .... Hmmm. This was a fun learning experience, but not that much fun (hahaha)
    Last edited by Mes; 04-08-2011 at 03:37 PM.

I'm glad to hear you got it running again, but I'm still not sure how I'd be causing the issue (or how MS would cause it either).

Could I still have you install CrashReporter, look for any SpringBoard or iapd crash logs, and e-mail me with the details? Syslog isn't as important to me, but knowing the device type and system version would be helpful.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sorry phoenix3200, as I expected, CrashReporter shows zero logs available. (com.apple.syslogd.plist has long-since been removed LaunchDaemons) A detailed log search shows only two: general.log and lockdown.log

3GS w/4.2.1. Attached is a list of installed apps (dpkg -l) and what logs were available. If you need, happy to send UUID or other unique info via pm or email.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Don't update resupported4 to the latest (1.6.3 Apr 8, 2011)) via Cydia

I just updated and my phone 3GS w/4.2.1 won't boot. AppleBootLogo for 5 minutes, then it adds a spinning wheel (like during a respring) for 2 minutes, then both images freeze for 2 more minutes --- Update: the display remains frozen (does not reboot).

Note: Resupported4 v 1.6.1 (released yesterday (Apr 7, 2011)) is fine.
    Confirmed. Having the same issue on my iPhone 3G. Phone keeps booting into safe mode after updating. Was able to get into Cydia and uninstall Resupported. Respring and I was back in business. No issues with the other two updates over the last few days. Issue began as soon as I updated Resupported to -3 today

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^Glad you got into Safe Mode and were able to fix it. My process was a bit longer (hahaha).

Just realized: You're on the 3G (me 3GS). I'm having MS issues with ANY mobile substrate change (update, install, remove) on a 3G. There is a work-around for my 3G (maybe your's too):

Dont press the ReSpring or Reboot Button after the load finishes. Press the Home button to exit Cydia, or Home + Power to force shutdown if Home doesn't work, then power cycle normally. This work-around works for my 3G and duplicated/confirmed my x98car.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtropy View Post
    Confirmed. Having the same issue on my iPhone 3G. Phone keeps booting into safe mode after updating. Was able to get into Cydia and uninstall Resupported. Respring and I was back in business. No issues with the other two updates over the last few days. Issue began as soon as I updated Resupported to -3 today
    Well can anyone e-mail me a SpringBoard or iapd crash report? I've still got nothing to work on here.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^phoenix3200......

You can verify this with x98car..... Xtropy's problem is not the same, and likely nothing to do with resupported. Since Cydia 1.1.1, a 3Gw/3.1.2 or 3.1.3 experiences respring/reboot issues after any MS change (install, update, remove). (My 3G w/3.1.2 fails just like Xtropy where my other 3G w/4.2.1 does not)

Same crash to springboard problem here after installing Resupported4 -3.

Restored the iPhone 3g back to 4.2.1 installed only sbssetting, backgrounder, file with no problems but upon installing the new resupported4 = springboard crash.
    Have removed it and the iPhone is OK again

Please can you fix this Phoenix?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forcedv View Post
    Same crash to springboard problem here after installing Resupported4 -3.

Restored the iPhone 3g back to 4.2.1 installed only sbssetting, backgrounder, file with no problems but upon installing the new resupported4 = springboard crash.
    Have removed it and the iPhone is OK again

Please can you fix this Phoenix?
    phoenix3200 is desperately looking for a crash log. Can you install CrashReporter (via Cydia) and send to his email (available from the Cydia resupport)?

Xtropy's problem is not the same
    Well, I didn't say it, you did :P.

phoenix3200 is desperately looking for a crash log. Can you install CrashReporter (via Cydia) and send to his email (available from the Cydia resupport)?
    Haha, thank you. I'm done here unless I get a crash report.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

I am guessing you are the same phoenix dev that does all the apps (music control etc). If so care for a developer title (dont know if that really matters to you or not) but if you are him then you definitely deserve one IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast