Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 6GB of "other" files on iphone after restore

Default 6GB of "other" files on iphone after restore
    I just did a restore on my 3GS running 3.1.2 and iTunes is showing 6 GBs of "other" files on my phone. The iPhone about page verifies this info, so it's not just an iTunes glitch.

I restored to 3.1.2 firmware then applied my last backup. The size of the backup was 6GB. From what I've been told, the phone stores the backup while it's using it, but should delete it afterwards. It seems like it's still there, somewhere?

I then jailbroke using redsn0w and used iPhone Browser to look in the obvious places (backup & tmp folders), but they're empty. I have iFile as well but not sure what to look for. Online searches looking for iPhone backup file locations just lead me to info for windows, mac.

Anyone ever had this problem? It's my first restore and I'm pretty reluctant after 4 days of no phone to try to restore again to make this go away. I'd much rather delete the files myself if I could find them.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I have run into this issue when restoring from a backup. The only way I could fix it was by setting the phone up as new and then syncing things back after.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

lumina (02-23-2011)

Ah, thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
    It's not a problem yet - still 5 gigs free - so I'll wait a couple weeks before I try a clean install.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Have you ever had swaptunes on there?

No. The only app I can think that would be taking up so much space is my iTalk recordings. I don't have the app on the phone now (new ver needs 4, and won't load on my restored 3.1.2), but I suspect the old app's files are there somewhere... except I can't find them in the var/mobile/applications folders, so it's a vague guess at the moment.

Default The Definitive Answer to the "Other" files problem on iPhone
    I had this problem although it was much less serious.
    My "other" files jumped from .5gb to 1.15gb in a single sync.
    Here is where paying attention to what you sync to your device comes in handy.
    I was syncing tv shows to my iPhone and iTunes did it's typical freeze and after almost an hour it finished syncing.
    That is when I noticed that my "other" files doubled in size.

Understanding what “other” files is crucial to fixing this problem, especially when the space designated for them doubles in a sync.
    Question: did you sync music or videos when the space doubled?
    Question: was the sync process interrupted or did iTunes freeze?
    Your problem is an “orphaned” file.
    When iTunes gets interrupted the file that it is syncing during the interruption gets saved onto the iPhone but without the right designators to put it in the correct area so you can remove and sync it properly.

Here’s how to fix the “Other” files issue, step by step.

Step 1: No interruptions
    Put your iPhone into Airplane mode. A simple phone call or text message while you’re syncing can disrupt the process and cause files to become “orphaned” and send them into the void known as “other”.

Step 2: Download Disk Aid.
    Simple as that, download the appropriate version of DiskAid for your computer.
    Here are the links to the website:
    Windows - http://www.digidna.net/downloads/dow...n=4.53&sys=win
    Mac - http://www.digidna.net/downloads/dow...n=4.51&sys=osx

Step 3: Remove all media from your iPhone
    In order to find the files that are taking up space you need to remove all media from your iPhone.
    When you go to look in the file system using DiskAid, anything left over is what is causing problems.
    Go into iTunes and uncheck the “Sync Music”, “Sync Photos”, “Sync Video”, and “Sync TV Shows”.
    Then Sync your iPhone to remove the files.
    Your “Other” files will remain the same, even though you have removed all media.

Step 4: The Search begins.
    With your iPhone connected to your computer via USB, launch DiskAid.
    Under the navigation panel on the left hand side of the window, click on “Places”.
    Then, go to “Media Folder”.
    In “Media Folder”, select, “iTunes Control”.
    Now, select the “Music” folder.
    Note: Music, Music Videos, Movies, and TV Shows are all saved in this directory.
    Once you’ve selected the “Music” folder, a series of folders with the designation “Fxx” will appear.
    Using your keyboard’s arrow keys and the middle navigation directory, move down one at a time to verify that the folders are empty.
    If a folder has a file in it, delete it. Remember, you have already removed all media from your device.

Step 5: Restart iPhone
    Now, once you have gone through all of the files and deleted the ones that are left over from the earlier sync, using iTunes, disconnect your iPhone.
    Once disconnected, power it down and restart it.
    Once restarted, re-connect it to iTunes and click on your iPhone in the left navigation plane.
    Look under “other” files.
    If done correctly, your “other” files should be around .30gb to .60gb.

Now you are free to simply re-sync your media, but I recommend taking time with this process.
    Sync a movie at a time, a tv season at a time and so on and so forth.
    Music you can do all at once, as well as photos.

Hope this works for you as well as it worked for me.