+ Reply
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Unable to Backup iPhone to iTunes

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes but didn't seem to fix it. The process went very smooth, but same result. Right-clicking my iPhone on the left sidebar still doesn't give
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Unable to Backup iPhone to iTunes
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes but didn't seem to fix it. The process went very smooth, but same result. Right-clicking my iPhone on the left sidebar still doesn't give me the choice to manually Backup. After asking this question twice now over at the Apple Forums I've yet to recieve an answer. So I thought I'd come here for more hope. Any thoughts?

    Extra details: iPhone 4 running 4.1.2, all 4 family members iPhone's seem to not be able to backup (meaning it's iTunes), Windows Vista 64-bit, iTunes 10.1.2.17

  2. #2
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    First off welcome to modmyi!

    2nd
    That's weird I never encountered a problem like that. Honestly if reinstalling iTunes doesnt work I don't know what will. Have you tried another comp?

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    First off welcome to modmyi!

    2nd
    That's weird I never encountered a problem like that. Honestly if reinstalling iTunes doesnt work I don't know what will. Have you tried another comp?
    Thanks for the hospitality first and foremost . To answer your question though, I haven't tried using another computer only because I'm sure it'll work. I don't think that'll help my problem as it'll just prove what I already know, which is my computer that's the problem. I've seen somewhere on the net though that if you delete 2 specific lines of text in Computer Terminal on a Mac that's running iTunes 9 or earlier it'll fix it. Problem is, I don't meet those specifications as you can see. Know of any way to do this on a PC?

  4. #4
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    Ohh yeah I forgot about that.

    Ok to do that your going click the main windows icon to the left at the bottom/accessories/Notepad/file/open.../click on computer/Windows/system32/Drivers/Etc;

    It might not show anything at first and if that happens then click the menu that says text documents to the right, and change to all files.

    then click hosts and delete the last two lines that says gs.apple.


    There should be 2 if there's more you can delete those as well.

    Hope thus helps goodluck!

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hi. This worked for me after months of trying many different fixes. Give it a shot.

    Locate the iTunesPrefs.xml on your PC. In Windows XP the iTunesPrefs.xml location is:

    \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

    or:

    \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes.

    With iTunes closed, I renamed this file from iTunesPrefs.xml to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup in both locations. Then I opened iTunes, connected my iPhone, and the backup was successful.

    Note that doing this will force iTunes to recreate the iTunesPrefs.xml file with all it's default settings. Any user preferences you may have set within iTunes will be removed. You will need to set any user defined preferences again.

    Let me know if this works for you.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Ohh yeah I forgot about that.

    Ok to do that your going click the main windows icon to the left at the bottom/accessories/Notepad/file/open.../click on computer/Windows/system32/Drivers/Etc;

    It might not show anything at first and if that happens then click the menu that says text documents to the right, and change to all files.

    then click hosts and delete the last two lines that says gs.apple.


    There should be 2 if there's more you can delete those as well.

    Hope thus helps goodluck!
    I've found exactly what you're refering to. But once I got there I asked myself "What does this have to do with iTunes?". Ha! So please, before I delete these lines of text (I don't know the risk of doing this), can you explain to me how this is connected to iTunes? Lol, thanks. And the only reason why I haven't tried it is because I was kinda looking for a solution that's closer to what buechler66 is refering to.

    Quote Originally Posted by buechler66 View Post
    Hi. This worked for me after months of trying many different fixes. Give it a shot.

    Locate the iTunesPrefs.xml on your PC. In Windows XP the iTunesPrefs.xml location is:

    \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

    or:

    \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes.

    With iTunes closed, I renamed this file from iTunesPrefs.xml to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup in both locations. Then I opened iTunes, connected my iPhone, and the backup was successful.

    Note that doing this will force iTunes to recreate the iTunesPrefs.xml file with all it's default settings. Any user preferences you may have set within iTunes will be removed. You will need to set any user defined preferences again.

    Let me know if this works for you.
    buechler66, thank you for your input. I've also found what you're refering to, but what do you mean by "...renaming to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup in BOTH locations". I've changed the extention on my ONLY location of the iTunesPrefs.xml file with iTunes closed, but upon reopening iTunes, I believe it just pushed the changed file to the side and added another iTunesPrefs.xml file. Now I have the original AND the iTunesPrefs.xml.backup file in my folder. So it didn't work for me yet. I also saw iPodDevices.xml. Anything I can do with that?
    Last edited by i81duce; 02-15-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Correct. Renaming to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup will remove the original file. Open iTunes, connect your iPhone and see if you can now Backup. If not, the point of renaming to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup was so that you could revert the original file back if this didn't work for you.

    Did you open iTunes again to see if you can Backup again? Right-clicking your iPhone on the left sidebar should now give you the choice to manually Backup also.

    Let me know.

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by buechler66 View Post
    Correct. Renaming to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup will remove the original file. Open iTunes, connect your iPhone and see if you can now Backup. If not, the point of renaming to iTunesPrefs.xml.backup was so that you could revert the original file back if this didn't work for you.

    Did you open iTunes again to see if you can Backup again? Right-clicking your iPhone on the left sidebar should now give you the choice to manually Backup also.

    Let me know.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. It seems to not have fixed it, but how can I confirm that it reverted back to the original user preferences?

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    If it created a new iTunesPrefs.xml replacing the file you renamed then it has definitely created a new one and it would have all iTunes defaults.

    Are you sure you don't have iTunesPrefs.xml in another location also? Did you do a search?

    Did you use a software utility named Backoff at anypoint to keep iTunes from always wanting to Backup your iPhone when it sync'd? If so, are there any other versions of iTunesPrefs.xml in the folder where you found it? Anything like a iTunesPrefs.xml.backoff?

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by buechler66 View Post
    If it created a new iTunesPrefs.xml replacing the file you renamed then it has definitely created a new one and it would have all iTunes defaults.

    Are you sure you don't have iTunesPrefs.xml in another location also? Did you do a search?

    Did you use a software utility named Backoff at anypoint to keep iTunes from always wanting to Backup your iPhone when it sync'd? If so, are there any other versions of iTunesPrefs.xml in the folder where you found it? Anything like a iTunesPrefs.xml.backoff?
    None of what you've mentioned above. I've searched everywhere but nothing. Having the 32-bit and 64-bit versions won't create two versions of the .xml file will it? I don't think so, just throwing out more options. And I've never heard of Backoff but searched for the file anyway and no luck. BTW, I do have "Show hidden files" enabled just so that question won't pop up later on. I do have everything ready for me to use Apple's Express Lane help, but would like to ask before I have them call me, will they be of any help anyway?

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    When you connected your iPhone again did you attempt to right click on the iphone and select to Backup? With a new iTunesPrefs.xml file I'd expect you'd have these options again.

    Okay then I think we've exhausted this option for you. Sorry it wasn't the solution. It definitely worked for me and my symptoms were exactly as you described. Good luck and let us know when you find the solution.

    Oh, and you might want to try the same experiment with the iPodDevices.xml file you mentioned. Try renaming it and then opening iTunes again to re-test. If it doesn't work then you can always rename the file back to it's original name.
    Last edited by buechler66; 02-15-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by buechler66 View Post
    When you connected your iPhone again did you attempt to right click on the iphone and select to Backup? With a new iTunesPrefs.xml file I'd expect you'd have these options again.

    Okay then I think we've exhausted this option for you. Sorry it wasn't the solution. It definitely worked for me and my symptoms were exactly as you described. Good luck and let us know when you find the solution.

    Oh, and you might want to try the same experiment with the iPodDevices.xml file you mentioned. Try renaming it and then opening iTunes again to re-test. If it doesn't work then you can always rename the file back to it's original name.
    Thanks anyway buechler. I'll tinker with a few things and let you know if I come across a solution

  13. #13
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    It's called editing the host file and it's used most when iTunes doesn't let you restore, I'm not sure how that plays into your problem but it's worth a try.

    Sorry for not explaining earlier i tend to get ahead of myself.

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Although replacing my prefs file adds the backup option (thanks), it also kills all my library settings (songs, ratings, etc.).
    Is there no way to get the back up option to appear without losing all of my data?

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Unable to Backup iPhone to iTunes
    Are you unable to backup iPhone data with iTunes then don't worry simply use third party iPhone file transfer software. It will help you to backup all your iPhone data in just few simple clicks. It is easy to use and also helps you to get rid of iTunes backup corrupt issues.

    Read More:

    iTunes Backup Corrupt

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts