Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Memory Drain, Phone Freezing, Cydia Crashing, and more. I'm at my wits end!

Default Memory Drain, Phone Freezing, Cydia Crashing, and more. I'm at my wits end!
    I'm running an iPhone 3G, iOS 4.0.1 jailbroken with Redsn0w.

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed some problems that have cropped up and are progressively getting worse

1) Safari sucks up nearly ALL my RAM. I'll go from 30 - 40 mb free to 3-5 mb. (I have the available RAM displayed on the status bar, so I'm able to monitor it)

2) Safari, and Maps will drain RAM down to 8 mb and freeze up for several seconds. I've also noticed the maps app getting slower and slower.

3) The Mail app launches itself randomly in the background, or when I free up memory in sbsettings, or launch Cydia. I've disabled backgrounding in Backgrounder, and have all Push settings turned of, yet Mail still launches itself in the background. The Ipod app sometimes does this as well.

4)While trying to download an update to a theme, Cydia has crashed 3 or 4 times in a row.

Any ideas? I previously had no problems but it seems like my phone is getting slower, and wonkier. I don't know how much of it is jailbreak related, since it got a bit slower under iOS 3.0 and even slower after the iOS4.0 update.
    Last edited by Bill1975; 10-27-2010 at 11:46 PM.

iPhone 4, I want an iPhone 4 please.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

If you have multi tasking enable disable it, I had the same problems, runs a little smoother with no multi tasking.

Multitasking is disabled. I am using Backgrounder, though.

I would strongly recommend to take that out as well. It's up to you, but I think it would make a difference.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to golfing7861 For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (10-31-2010)

Removed backgrounder, it helps, things are running a bit faster so far. Howeber, the Mail and iPod apps seem to launch themselves in the background. Seemingly at random.

The mail app is supposed to do that, you should also change fetching email to a longer interval if not done already.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to golfing7861 For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (11-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

4.0 / 4.0.1 are said to be bad for iPhone 3G. You should upgrade it to 4.1, which apple said will fix the 3G being sluggish and slow. You can jailbreak with redsn0w, but there's no unlock for 4.1 at the moment. If you rely on an unlock, wait till 4.2 and an unlock for both 4.1 and 4.2 is getting released.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Funked For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (11-01-2010)

Thanks

^ +1 for upgrading to 4.1

4.0.x runs horribly on the 3G. If you rely on an unlock, you can also use custom firmware (PwnageTool for Mac; sn0wbreeze for Windows) to upgrade to 4.1. You won't update your baseband this way. 4.1 by itself will already be a bit faster, but if you want to improve performance even more, disable multitasking and keep tweaking/theming to a minimum.

As for Mail running randomly in the background, your fetch setting (General > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data) is probably set to every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. If you want to avoid this, simply set it to fetch "Manually". This way you'll only have Mail open when you open it yourself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (11-01-2010)

does anyone know what this problem is this when i try to connect my iphone through ispirit??
    the problem is "can't connect to ssh service(system.net.socekets.socketexception:no connection could be made
    because the target machin actively refused it 127.0.0.1:22 at system.net.sockets.doconnect(endpoint)"

I installed openSSH in iphone,it doesnot work..I am helpless please support...thnx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by golfing7861 View Post
    The mail app is supposed to do that, you should also change fetching email to a longer interval if not done already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    4.0 / 4.0.1 are said to be bad for iPhone 3G. You should upgrade it to 4.1, which apple said will fix the 3G being sluggish and slow. You can jailbreak with redsn0w, but there's no unlock for 4.1 at the moment. If you rely on an unlock, wait till 4.2 and an unlock for both 4.1 and 4.2 is getting released.
    Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    ^ +1 for upgrading to 4.1

4.0.x runs horribly on the 3G. If you rely on an unlock, you can also use custom firmware (PwnageTool for Mac; sn0wbreeze for Windows) to upgrade to 4.1. You won't update your baseband this way. 4.1 by itself will already be a bit faster, but if you want to improve performance even more, disable multitasking and keep tweaking/theming to a minimum.

As for Mail running randomly in the background, your fetch setting (General > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data) is probably set to every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. If you want to avoid this, simply set it to fetch "Manually". This way you'll only have Mail open when you open it yourself.

Thanks!!! I will update to 4.1 and re jailbreak. I don't need an unlock, So I'm good.

As for the mail app. ALL of my fetch settings are set to manual, and Push is off. It rather defeats the purpose of being able to set it to manual if it's going to spring anyway. I suppose it isn't a huge deal, but I like to keep memory usage to a minimum.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Good stuff, be sure to post back here and let us know what you think of updating! I'm positive that you'll notice an improvement in speed/memory

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Funked For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (11-02-2010)

I updated to 4.1 and noticed a big difference! After updating I re jailbroke the phone, and while it's still faster than before, it seems to have slowed down compared to running 4.1 without a jailbreak.

Specifically, compared to 4.0.1, maps is a lot faster, and there seems to be more free RAM. Texts still opens slower than I like and there is still a bit of a lag with the calendar, but the os update has helped.

Not sure how the jailbreak slowed the phone back down though.

Thanks

Quite some time has passed and - facing similar issues - I found that tweaks enhancing certain apps (eg. scrobbl for iPad app) will cause any app to re-launch automatically. With the exception of mail.app and safari.app, iOS terminates them automatically, when my memory runs low. At <6 MB RAM, I usually stop to scroll or tab until eg. the iPad process has closed in the background. I've also never used multitasking. The iPhone 3g is meditative enough handling a single app already. Patience is a virtue.

Wow, funny seeing this as I haven't been on here in a while. Part of the problem is that a 3G iPhone is pretty antiquated at this point. As newer software and OS versions come out to take advantage of the increased hardware capabilities, the older hardware struggles to keep up. I think it's just normal for any technology. Also, after upgrading to 4.0 and later (what ever the last version of iOS is that the 3G supports), there's some glitch I have not been able to figure out that conflicts with jailbreaking. I was never able to figure out what it was, and to this day I have just lived with it. Biggest problem has been the maps app which freezes for a few minutes before operating normally.

Oh well, I'm getting an iP5 anyway, so it will soon be moot.