Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 keeps dropping wifi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 keeps dropping wifi
    Just got my iPhone a few days ago and for some reason the phone keeps dropping the wifi. It seems it keeps loosing connection every 20-30 min, in order to get it working again I have to turn wifi off than back on. The whole time wifi says it connected but the phone wont connect to anything, safari or youtube, facebook etc...

Ive tried clearing all the settings/wiping and restoring which does not solve the problem. I HIGHLY doubt its my router since no other devices have this issue (Mac, laptops, other wifi phones..etc). I have the Verizon Fios Actiontec router.

iPhone 4 v4.1 OS...

Anyone have any ideas???

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Return it for a another one.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

hmm the signal is good or not?
    why ppl always love iphone?

Didn't the iPad have this exact problem? Something to do with 802.11n support, if I remember.

i can guarantee it will be router settings, i had the same problem, but after going through all my settings in my router and trial and error, i now have a rock solid connection, i strongly suspect with me it was the security method, ie, wep, wpa, aes etc

i had to drop down to wep, with hexadecimal password and all is good, also make sure your router is set to allow mixed, not just pure 802.11n, as bizarrely, even though the ip4 is N, it doesnt play too nicely for me on pure n (green field) but rather mixed mode, and also change your router setting to a fixed channel/frequency (mhz) as the auto hopping for me, was causing disconnects, and the channel bandwidth to mixed rather than the 5ghz or alike

theres so much to go through, dependant on the brand / make of router i realize
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurIhde View Post
    hmm the signal is good or not?
    Full bar

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    Didn't the iPad have this exact problem? Something to do with 802.11n support, if I remember.
    Yeah iPad had same problem, not sure what the fix was?

Quote Originally Posted by Quaddy View Post
    i can guarantee it will be router settings, i had the same problem, but after going through all my settings in my router and trial and error, i now have a rock solid connection, i strongly suspect with me it was the security method, ie, wep, wpa, aes etc

i had to drop down to wep, with hexadecimal password and all is good, also make sure your router is set to allow mixed, not just pure 802.11n, as bizarrely, even though the ip4 is N, it doesnt play too nicely for me on pure n (green field) but rather mixed mode, and also change your router setting to a fixed channel/frequency (mhz) as the auto hopping for me, was causing disconnects, and the channel bandwidth to mixed rather than the 5ghz or alike

theres so much to go through, dependant on the brand / make of router i realize
    I think you were right about the settings. I used WPA for security, router is set to mixed, only thing I changed was instead of having the channel set to "Auto" I set it to channel "11"..which so far I haven't had my connection drop for the past 5 hours, so Im hoping it says this way.

Ill report back tomorrow to see if it keeps connection through the night..

Thank you all!

I recently had this exact problem , turns.out my new router was set to scan for congested channels and switch , as soon as thus happened the iPhone lost it's connection.

By setting a static channel manually on the router the problem disappeared.