+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 apps only 1/4 screen

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi Everyone, my apps are only taking up 1/4 of the screen as you can see in the attached file. The home screen if fine. When most apps load they
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 apps only 1/4 screen
    Hi Everyone, my apps are only taking up 1/4 of the screen as you can see in the attached file. The home screen if fine. When most apps load they start in full screen while they load, but after 1 second they shrink to 1/4 size. Worst of all the touch input is not mapped correctly so i cant use the apps. I have to restore my phone to fix.

This has happened three times to me. Twice when installing a app from cydia with winterbaord as the prerequisite and once when it ran out of battery.

What is going wrong, how can i fix it without a restore?

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iPhone 4 apps only 1/4 screen-img_0004.png  

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Just remove some apps that u recently installed from cydia, one of them has to be causing th problem (most likely a winterboard add on)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Just remove some apps that u recently installed from cydia, one of them has to be causing th problem (most likely a winterboard add on)
    Thanks, I tried that the first couple of times. This last time my phone was going fine for about 4 days, with re springs, reboots all kinds of normal stuff. I haven't installed anything for at least a day then I ran out of battery last night, and when it restarted, 1/4 screen apps again.

I will try removing all from cydia again, but I'm reasonably sure that it doesn't fix it.

Also its really hard to remove apps. I need to use Veency and the touch input is all wrong.
    Last edited by dominicmck; 10-02-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you tried restoring and installing your Cydia apps one by one (like one every day or something) until you find the culprit? Cuz I guarantee it's something you keep redownloading every time you restore and jb. Cuz I've had my phones jb for 2 years+ now and never have experienced or seen this before.

It's got to either be a conflicting app, or an app that isn't iOS 4 compatible yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,708 Times in 5,963 Posts

Set up as a "New Phone" if you restore again also. Don't restore from a back up.

But, I tend to agree with Annie
    It's got to either be a conflicting app, or an app that isn't iOS 4 compatible yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks everyone, I'm restoring now. Will keep you posted on the "bad app" theory but if anyone else has any ideas I'm willing to try.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The best thing to do is like Blkcadi said, set the phone up as new. Do not restore from back up, that will almost always carry over previous problems.

Thanks B, I forgot to mention that :P "Never restore from back up" happens to be one of my favorite lines lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (10-02-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,708 Times in 5,963 Posts

You always have my back, a chance for me to pay it forward ya know..............

iPhone? More like MyPhone bchilton9's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine did this when I installed simple background once I removed it didn't have the problem anymore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bchilton9 For This Useful Post:

SkeleDork (11-23-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a stupid question, but you don't have zoom on do you? It's in settings under accessibility

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would have to agree with bchilton9, I had the same problem with Simple Background. My screen would shrink occasionally to 1/4 the normal size, making it all but impossible to use the phone. My solution is to go into "Safe Mode" and reboot. That would take it back to the normal size screen. I really like simple background, but there are no alternatives out available.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Simple background is to blame
    Just wanted to confirm that it is SimpleBackground that is causing the issues. First time it happened, I did not know what caused it since my phone worked fine with it for a few days. When it crashed, I had to update to 4.1 and break my jailbreak. When I installed it again on 4.1 and it crashed, I was certain that it was the issue. Thankfully, this time i only had to do an update in iTunes with a 4.1.ipsw file so I didn't lose all my data software, etc. Hope that finally confirms all the assumptions!

Cheers!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the_serb For This Useful Post:

SkeleDork (11-23-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 395 Posts

If it happens again just open SBSettings and select Power->Safe Mode. When in safe mode just respring and thatll fix it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default my fix
    hi there, the only way i was able to find the root error source was to follow this steps:

1. in SBSettings -> more, go to Mobile Substrate Addons disable all addons. leave SBSettings. After the respring you will have to reboot your phone.
    2. Now check if you have full-screen display, as all addons are off you probably have correct display.

3. in SBSettings -> more, go to Mobile Substrate Addons and enable first addon, respring, then reboot

4. check if you have full screen display (I was opening Settings application)

4.1 Yes -> go to SBSettings and enable the next addon, exit, after the respring, reboot your phone again and go to step 4
    4.2 NO -> the last addon you have enabled is probably the culprit. reboot into safe mode, then respring, then disable the last addon. after this respring, then reboot, go to step 4 but skip the last addon disabled. Do this until you have all the addons that work fine enabled.

tips: I have about 40 addons in my mobile substrate so I activated them in batches of 10 then until I found the batch that generates the issue, then activated all the rest of 30 and then followed the procedure for those 10.

5. After you are sure that you have identified (all) bad addons go back to SBSettings, activate them and then go to Cydia and uninstall them. (I have tried to reinstall hoping that will solve the issue but with no succes.)

In my case the issue was generated by 'AutoLocation', it's weird, maybe it has a conflict with something else... weird error anyway.

IOS 5.0.1
    Iphone 4
    RedSnow 0.9.10b3 for Win

Cheers!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Developer suggestion
    I contacted the developer, he suggests uninstalling LastApp and seeing if it is the culprit in conflict with BrowserChanger.

Try installing BrowserChanger first, then LastApp.

Luck,
    Misha

Osa
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Go into safe mode via activator and then restart...u should
    Be ok...if it happens again do it again