+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bricked my phone

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Iphone 3Gs 3.1.3 old boot rom I needed to wipe the phone clean and restore all of the setting to make the phone the exact same way it was when
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Bricked my phone
    Iphone 3Gs 3.1.3 old boot rom
    I needed to wipe the phone clean and restore all of the setting to make the phone the exact same way it was when i unwrapped it.

I went to: settings / general/ restore/ erase all content and settings.

the phone is stuck in the apple logo screen.

I have SHSH's on Cydia for 3.1.3 / 4.0 / 4.0.1

I have set my phone up perfectly and did a back up on the computer. . . I changed some file names in iFile and i regretted in and lost my camera and my broweser got all funny. So I should just be able to restore and re jailbreak and be done right. . . . .not so much.

I been waiting for two hours.

I turned the phone off, plugged in the usb with itunes opened. held down the home button and it just stays on the apple logo. . .

please help me. I cant stress how important it is that I have my phone for work in the morning. . .

thanks in advance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd give it another hour or so. Erase normally takes 2-3 hours for me on a 16GB 3G

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    I'd give it another hour or so. Erase normally takes 2-3 hours for me on a 16GB 3G
    3GS uses a different technique so it only takes a few seconds.

@OP

Put the phone in DFU and then restore. To do put it in DFU, connect the phone to the computer. Then press and hold both power and home button for 10 seconds. Then let go of power button but keep holding home button for another 10 seconds.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

nice shot (08-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok well I appreciate that. now heres my new question; it wants to automatically update my phone to 4.0.1 and I dont want to do that. I have all the shsh and a back up on itunes. . . how can i get around the updating?

I couldnt wait. . . i MUST have a phone for work so I guess Im upgrading and restoring. . . I'll have to research downgrading tomorrow. . .

@ dhamien, thanks bro. I know its annoying having people ask for help but that whole recovery mode screwed me up. thanks man. Do you know how to do an easy restore of my shsh? I'd like to stay on 3.1.3

my latest update:

the phone is in the restore progress screen and is backing up from my last sync. . . only problem is it upgraded to 4.0.2

I feel like such a douche bag. All i wanted to do was start over so I could re jailbreak... Please take the time to read this before you do something like this and please dont use the source from the "other guys". . . I've had nothing but problems since I added that source. . . . weather I can prove it or not. . . . they have been my down fall.

Last edited by nice shot; 08-21-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hi again,

In a situation like you were before, you can't really get around a restore/upgrade. What you could have done was restore to the version you were already on, using your SHSH. But, you haven't really lost out on anything by upgrading. You can still downgrade to a version that is jailbreakable and your baseband will still be unlockable. So it's ok.

To downgrade using SHSH, I'll point you to an article written by the maker of Cydia, Saurik. It's a half hour read but will explain what you need to know about SHSHs and how to use them.

You can find the article here: Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Note that you'll run into error 1015 twice while downgrading (it's explained why in the article). To get out of recovery mode after the downgrade, I suggest using either RecBoot or TinyUmbrella (Tiny has an option to 'Kick out of ...' which is what you're looking for).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

nice shot (08-21-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok two questions.

So if I follow his instructions perfectly (ive been pre-reading) the server he created will automatically load my SHSH and I dont need to goto tiny umbrella and do any of the other options I found on here? Basically this is already full proof and stick with it?

Should I run into a problem will you be online around 6-7:00 Central standard time (Houston time zone)? I could use the help. . . desperatly.

I preread the whole article and made high lights and printed it as a back up. Im pretty confident I can do this. . . Otherwise Im stuck.
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-21-2010 at 06:27 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jjr3211's Avatar
    Thanks

U should be fine if you run into trouble I'm awalys on here give me a shout and I will help you as much as I can

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nice shot View Post
    Ok two questions.

So if I follow his instructions perfectly (ive been pre-reading) the server he created will automatically load my SHSH and I dont need to goto tiny umbrella and do any of the other options I found on here? Basically this is already full proof and stick with it?

Should I run into a problem will you be online around 6-7:00 Central standard time (Houston time zone)? I could use the help. . . desperatly.

I preread the whole article and made high lights and printed it as a back up. Im pretty confident I can do this. . . Otherwise Im stuck.
    Correct. Since you're using the SHSHs off of Cydia's server, you don't need to run TinyUmbrella. In fact, in your case you should avoid TU since it alters the hosts file by redirecting iTunes to your own computer which can cause problems since you're also trying to redirect iTunes to Cydia's server.

On Cydia's server, your SHSHs are loaded yes, and it'll send back the SHSH for whichever version you request (as long as it has it stored).

The whole process isn't very hard and it's all reversible so if something doesn't go as planned, you will at any time be able to restore back to the version you're at now.

About the time, I'm at CET, Central Europe, so I don't think I'll be up at the time you asked about. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll make it

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok so i clicked the make my life easier button. I have exhausted every thread on this forum trying to figure out how to find them. I read an article from saurik on how to access shsh and I honestly cant figure it out. I have gone to the CWINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and typed in 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and that should have worked according to this article. . . . only thing is my computer wont allow me to access the file. . . .it wont let me save the added info and it wont let me access it thorugh itunes. . . .

someone please explain all of this in the most detailed way possible. Im following instructions to a T and i am still stuck on 4.0.2

I just got tinyumbrella to work and it says that I dont have a device connected. . . . odd. . . its right next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Correct. Since you're using the SHSHs off of Cydia's server, you don't need to run TinyUmbrella. In fact, in your case you should avoid TU since it alters the hosts file by redirecting iTunes to your own computer which can cause problems since you're also trying to redirect iTunes to Cydia's server.

On Cydia's server, your SHSHs are loaded yes, and it'll send back the SHSH for whichever version you request (as long as it has it stored).

The whole process isn't very hard and it's all reversible so if something doesn't go as planned, you will at any time be able to restore back to the version you're at now.

About the time, I'm at CET, Central Europe, so I don't think I'll be up at the time you asked about. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll make it

Ok so please explain how I can get the shsh off the server. If your referencing the whole C \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and typed in 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com thats a bust. it wont allow me to input the new host and save it. . . . I need help figuring that out.

ok I know at one time 3.1.3 was thought of as a bad deal and everyone wanted 3.1.2 . . . . so to save myself from any future headaches I saved my shsh from 4.0.2 on TU. . . . least I did that right.

shsh are unavailable from TU. I must get them off the server or I am done with all this for good.

Are there any after market firmwares I can download like a generic version of 3.1.3 and install that or does this process not work like that.

Can I save my wifes 3.1.3 firmware and while its saved add it too mine?
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-21-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok you have waited to long.

You now need to use umbrella download from here
    The Firmware Umbrella

Start umbrella and then hook you iphone to your computer.

On the left hand side to the program you will see three boxes one says save my shshs second should have your device's id and the third is a box that you tick which says Advance Options tick that and the bottom of the program will open up a little more.

Your ECID should be on the top line if not you will have to put it in manually.

Next line should be Device/Version you need to select your 4.0.1 shsh's and on the next line select Cydia from the arrow down select.

Next click on display shsh's, if you have saved them on Cydia you should be able to see them.

Click start TSS Server it should say running.

Do a shift restore and choose your 4.0.1 ipsw firmware and you will get an error close to the end of the restore just select Kick Device out of Recovery after this iphone should reboot and will do a small amount of restoring then your iphone will reboot and you need to set up as New Phone and do not sync anything'

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im gonna do everything you just told me right now and I will get back to you in a few minutes. Im hopeful

The Firmware Umbrella - v4.00.06 by semaphore >> Connect a device to continue... >>
    NOT running as administrator - Cannot listen on port 80!
    TSS Server will not work!
    Device: INVALID X.X.X (XXXX)
    Model: MC137LL/A
    Name: chingon
    Baseband: 05.13.04 - 6.4_M3S2

Does this answer any questions?
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-21-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Im gonna do everything you just told me right now and I will get back to you in a few minutes. Im hopeful

The Firmware Umbrella - v4.00.06 by semaphore >> Connect a device to continue... >>
    NOT running as administrator - Cannot listen on port 80!
    TSS Server will not work!
    Device: INVALID X.X.X (XXXX)
    Model: MC137LL/A
    Name: chingon
    Baseband: 05.13.04 - 6.4_M3S2

Does this answer any questions?
    The answer to this problem as well as the one in your previous post, not being able to edit the hosts file, is that you need to do it as Administrator. Microsoft thinks its users are idiots so they don't allow you to do a lot of stuff if you don't use the 'Run as Administrator' option. For the hosts file edit, I believe one trick is to copy the file to the desktop, then make the necessary changes and then copy it back to the original location. You might do that as Administrator as well though. If you try and it comes up with an error, just click the '... as Administrator' button.

The reason I didn't want you to run TU was because that also edits the hosts line which will result in two references to gs.apple.com which we're trying to avoid. When editing it now, make sure you either comment out (put a # sign in front of the line) the "127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com" line or delete it altogether.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I did that though man... It still blocked me. I will however try to open note pad as an admin and copy the file and add the stuff again without trying to do it all from the source file.

Just for the record even though i attempted to use TU and change the host file nothing has happened yet. I'm still at a simple 4.0.2 with nothing changed.

So just to clarify keep trying that tutorial you posted then if that doesn't work we will try something else?

Thanks again man. I truly do appreciate all of this.

One last thing.

I open the file with notepad as per the saurik article. Then open notepad as an admin, copy the program to the admin notepad. Add the source. Copy the admin notepad, paste to the file... If that's what your asking me to do how will that work. I wouldn't be saving the file in it's original form i would be saving it in the notepad .txt form right?
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-22-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The only thing preventing you from a downgrade right now is the edit of the hosts file so once that's done, you shouldn't run into any more problems.

I just tried it and Windows does make it tricky. The thing that worked for me though, was to move the hosts file to the desktop and not copy it. Then made the edit and moved it back to its original spot. When I did that, it gave an error and I then got the option to do it 'as admin'. I did so and it worked.

The last thing you asked about, the file shouldn't be in .txt format. It needs to be as it was, which is without any extension at all. The file is simply called hosts and nothing else.

Just noticed your info, are you doing it from Windows 2000? I don't know how that works, so I'd suggest trying it from a computer with Windows 7.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your awesome bro

I misinformed ya. Windows xp

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your awesome bro

I misinformed ya. Windows xp
    Ok. Well, what I just posted should work on XP.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Awesome. Ill be giving that a shot tonight when I get home.

well I did it and it didnt offer me the option to do it as an admin. . . it just said

cannot create the C \documents and settings\owner\desktop\hosts
    please make sure the file name and pathway are correct.
    ok cancel

thats exactly what it says. . . . no option to do anything as admin.

So close. . . yet so far . . .

is there a possibility that my computer needs to have a setting changed to make it work. . . .

also. . . anyway you can send me the host file in an email in its completed form and I can download it and just add it to my file?

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    The answer to this problem as well as the one in your previous post, not being able to edit the hosts file, is that you need to do it as Administrator. Microsoft thinks its users are idiots so they don't allow you to do a lot of stuff if you don't use the 'Run as Administrator' option. For the hosts file edit, I believe one trick is to copy the file to the desktop, then make the necessary changes and then copy it back to the original location. You might do that as Administrator as well though. If you try and it comes up with an error, just click the '... as Administrator' button.

The reason I didn't want you to run TU was because that also edits the hosts line which will result in two references to gs.apple.com which we're trying to avoid. When editing it now, make sure you either comment out (put a # sign in front of the line) the "127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com" line or delete it altogether.
    I litterally did exactly this when I tried to make this work. Just to answer all your questions Ill go step by step with what I did.

opened the containing file
    right clicked on hosts
    selected notepad from the list
    attempted to add the server
    failed

closed everything

opened the containing file
    moved hosts file to desktop
    right clicked on hosts
    selected notepad from list
    attempted to add the server
    clicked save . . . failed
    repeated
    closed with no save
    repeated my fail

moved hosts file back to containing folder.

also one more thing. . . when you open the folder and you move the hosts file it asks "do you wish to move this read only file to the desktop?" Anyway to change that to a changable file? And has this been my problem the whole time?

Also. Which version of iTunes do you want me using? I wanna make sure I am doing every aspect of this the right way.

I found this on a forum.

If XP is the operating system, then you should be able to RIGHT click on the "Backup" folder, choose "Properties", then UNCHECK the "read only" box, then click on "Apply". A small window will load asking if you want to make the changes on the "folder only" or on the "folder and all subfolders and files". Choose the second option and all files inside will have their attributes changed.
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-23-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's been a while since I've used XP so I don't really remember the procedure. Though changing the hosts file so it's not read-only sounds right.

As for iTunes, any version will do. I use the newest one myself.

Not sure what else to say. It's not supposed to be that hard to change the file. In win7 and vista it was made tricky but as far as I remember, xp was different in that it actually didn't need everything run as admin, although again, I'm not 100% certain that that system wasn't in place then.

All I can say is that you need that file changed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

10-4 man. I'll keep trying.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

dude your host file is here:
    C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc
    open the host file in notepad
    copy and paste this to the end of the host file
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save
    done.

download the firmware file for the firmware you wish to go to (AND you have the SHSH for. It'll end in .ipsw NOT .zip if it's .zip you are doing something wrong, use a different browser not IE)
    Hold shift, press restore in itunes
    locate that firmware file and let it go.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rest_easy For This Useful Post:

nice shot (08-23-2010)