Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bricked my phone

Ok I got the file and what i needed to do was right click on properties, "read only" uncheck and save. That's why i couldn't do anything.

Im downloading the 3.1.3 firmware since I have shsh blobs for it. The host file as far as I can tell is working.

ok well I got the firmware downloaded and all was well. I clicked shift restore and I got a deal saying that the firmware could not be added because it is not compatible. . . .and no not the 1015 error.

Any ideas?

Also Dhamien you mentioned that this is reversable. . . . would it be worth trying to goto 3.1.2 without shsh blobs?

If not is there a way to download shsh blobs from the internet? Im googling but coming up with 10 million links about how to download an shsh. . . instead of actually being able to download the shsh.

also the latest version of TU wont let me "kick out of recovery mode." Im sure its me and not them. . . . any advice?

next update is I went to finish the restore and it wouldnt let me. It left the phone in restore. I got pissed off and unplugged the phone and did a reset and it worked. . . everything is like nothing happened.

Do i need to remove the host I added in order to do a normal restore?

Ok a new update.

I did TU and got it to work.

I have the 4.0.2 on file. I am currently searching the Cydia server for the SHSH. . . if they arent there then Im done for.

Also I tried the restore with the "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" both above and below the "END OF HOSTS" list and its not looking good.

I know for a fact that I have the SHSH. My only hope is to wait for a jailbreak for 4.0.2 and then wait for the SHSH to come back on my screen so i can make double sure or DG to 3.1.2 (which I have just downloaded the firmware. I will be reading tutorials later tonight and tomorrow for that.

BTW how long does TU take to search the server?
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-23-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

TU gets the file within a few seconds, unless Cydia is overloaded.

Not compatible means you've downloaded the wrong firmware. If you have a 3GS, the file is named iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw - the "2,1" being the important part.
    (1,1 is 1st gen iphone, 1,2 is 2nd gen and 3,1 is 4th gen)

There's no point trying other people's SHSHs, they simply won't work. They're device and firmware version specific. Trying it without SHSHs at all won't work either.

By the way, it's easy to test if the hosts file edit has worked. To do that, open up a command prompt and type in

ping gs.apple.com

If the response comes from the IP you typed into the hosts file, it's been done correctly.

To test if Cydia has your 3.1.3 SHSH, connect your phone to the computer, run TU, choose 'advanced options' and select the 'device/version' as 3GS 3.1.3 and then request it from Cydia. If it stores it successfully, the file is, of course, on Cydia's server.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Dude I owe you big time. You've been an awesome help.

I been gone working the last few days but either today or tomorrow i will get this all checked out.

hey man I did this and the only thing I can come up with is I only had a ticket opened to save my shsh and they werent ever completly saved.

I did the host file edit. . . everything is in order on their end. Ive run TU until I ran out of patience.

Im gonna try to re-download the firmware but I read today that apple has begun introducing legal steps to brick phones that are JB and Im wondering if 4.0.2 has been the testing gerbal for that. Im only guessing but it seems kinda weird I have everything and I cant go back to 3.1.3

Oh well I have faith in the dev team. . . 4.1 will PWN.
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-28-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nice shot View Post
    Dude I owe you big time. You've been an awesome help.

I been gone working the last few days but either today or tomorrow i will get this all checked out.

hey man I did this and the only thing I can come up with is I only had a ticket opened to save my shsh and they werent ever completly saved.

I did the host file edit. . . everything is in order on their end. Ive run TU until I ran out of patience.

Im gonna try to re-download the firmware but I read today that apple has begun introducing legal steps to brick phones that are JB and Im wondering if 4.0.2 has been the testing gerbal for that. Im only guessing but it seems kinda weird I have everything and I cant go back to 3.1.3

Oh well I have faith in the dev team. . . 4.1 will PWN.
    No, Apple won't brick phones that are jailbroken. They have no legal right to. You're buying their product, not leasing it.

With the method I gave you, you're not really supposed to run TU. Running TU can make changes to the hosts file which in turn can cause interference because you'll end up with two references to gs.apple.com. Simply editing it and directing gs.apple.com to 74.208.10.249 is what should be done and then a shift-restore from iTunes.

Ok I opened the host file and found this at the very end of the file:

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

It looked exactly like that. I changed the top one to tale out the # and I'm gonna retry that way again.

WOW!

So hey Im retarded. Alright I got the phone to do the entire restore twice with the 1015 error both times and Im in recovery right now and Im gonna kick it out of recovery and that should be it. Ill post more in a second. . . . I cant believe that something as stupid as "#" screwed this whole thing up!

VICTORY!

Dhamian, rest easy, JJ, fixmyphoneplz, THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!

I will be copying the posts from this thread and making a manual for myself to store offline.

seriously I screwed this up more than once and thank you to all of you for the time you wasted trying to help me and my retardesness.

I have it on 3.1.3 as we speak. TU I found out takes quite a while to run on my comp so it took about two minutes to get the "kick out of recovery mode" to come up.

in the words of Saurik "we will prevail"

lol. . . . so stoked! JB with spirit right now.
    Last edited by nice shot; 08-29-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hehe, congrats on the downgrade

my wife managed to screw up my phone so Im restoring it . . . . again.

I came up with a new error. 3194. It wouldnt let me restore but Im wondering if TU will let me boot. I will re-read all our adventures here and get the phone back no doubt. Just wondering what 3194 is and why my phone went into safe mode and wouldnt come out. Needless to say apple isnt winning my brownie points with the iPhone right now.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nice shot View Post
    my wife managed to screw up my phone so Im restoring it . . . . again.

I came up with a new error. 3194. It wouldnt let me restore but Im wondering if TU will let me boot. I will re-read all our adventures here and get the phone back no doubt. Just wondering what 3194 is and why my phone went into safe mode and wouldnt come out. Needless to say apple isnt winning my brownie points with the iPhone right now.
    Error 3194 is the 'ineligible build' error, which is the error you get when you try to restore to a version that Apple isn't signing.

To get around that, you need to do what you did before. Edit the hosts file and shift-restore in iTunes.

Thanks

use irecovery

I did. It only came up because I was going from 3.1.3 to 3.1.3. I found out that if you just upgrade and then down grade you are fine. . . . 1015 FTW. but from firmware to firmware it will not work.

little FYI.

eddie. . . yea bro I wish. irecovery wont even load on my computer.

also I went to 4.0.1 So far I like it. I have been having problems with 3.1.3 but I thought it was the god send until a little research here on MMI.

so the new journey continues.
    Last edited by nice shot; 09-02-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12