+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cannot Restore iPhone 4 With Untouched 4.0.1

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello All - When I recieve my iPhone 4, it had 4.0.1 factory pre-loaded on it. I jailbroke it using jailbreakme.com and the SHSH was cached on Saurik's server for
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Cannot Restore iPhone 4 With Untouched 4.0.1
    Hello All -

When I recieve my iPhone 4, it had 4.0.1 factory pre-loaded on it. I jailbroke it using jailbreakme.com and the SHSH was cached on Saurik's server for 4.0.1. As I've done with many iPhone before, I decided to backup and restore the firmware again and reinstall my aps from scratch.

I plugged it into the computer, downloaded the 4.0.1 IPSW straight from Apple, verified that Saurik's cache server was in my hosts file, and start the restore. It froze at about 50%. I tried a different computer with a new download and received a 4001 error during verification.

I've tried restoring from every mode I can think of, but nogo. I'm downloading a 4.0 IPSW and redownloading 4.0.1 now. I'm using the newest iTunes on Win7 x64.

Again, this is the factory firmware and I planned on re-jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com afterwards. If there's an IPSW utility that I don't know about that patches the firmwares, please let me know and I'll try. I have MAC and PC.

Please give me any suggestions! Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

i just had same problem, i used tiny umbrella to back up shsh before on cydia, and apple ( i don't know what that mean) . i tried to restore my iphone4 4.0.1 with itune and it didn't let me , until i opened up tiny umbrella and run the server. after almost finish up restore with itune, it give me error code ( different one everytime i tried again) one of them was 4001. and my iphone 4 locked in recovery mode. Finally i found out that there is a button on tiny umbrella said ( kick the device out of recovery), i press it and it works. so u might be able to try and see if that work for u.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, while trying a third computer with a third firmware, I saw your message. I opened tinyumbrella, but the button was greyed out. I tried the restore again with tinyumbrella open as I was desperate and after it failed this time, the button lit up!

I clicked it, my phone rebooted, and I'm back online.

Thanks so much for your prompt response. It saved the day! - Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for our shsh file to get uploaded to Saurik's servers? I clicked the button on Cydia a few hours ago. Now my phone is stuck at the apple boot logo for god knows what reason, so of course I am attempting a restore, have edited the 'host' file to iTunes looks at Saurik's server instead of apple's but I am not making any progress. I suspect my shsh file upload via cydia from earlier is still 'pending' (as I have seen this message on Cydia before).

So how long does it take?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Could take a few days. If there are no SHSHs to grab it would probably be stuck on pending.

Youre only gonna get 4.0.2 now its too late for you to grab any other.

As for OP, you cant restore to anything except 4.0.2 without your SHSHs saved from before Apple stopped signing 4.0.1.

You cant use the TinyUmbrella/Saurik method with a factory from Apple 4.0.1 stock fw.

Edit: sorry, I didnt check the date. At the time of posting, 4.0.1 was still signed by Apple therefore the restore was possible. As for last poster, my post still stands true.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 08-23-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

So what you're saying is, even though I picked up my iPhone 4 yesterday with iOS 4.0, clicked the button in Cydia, I am still too late to be able to do restores back to 4.0?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes its too late. Just because the phone is on 4.0 doesnt mean you can save the SHSHs. Apple stopped signing the latest jailbreakable firmware (which is 4.0.1) 3-4 days ago. Youre too late to save even 4.0.1 SHSHs so you cant downgrade.