Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which one is the best firmware for Iphone 3G?

Default Which one is the best firmware for Iphone 3G?
    Hi everyone! At now, There are many firmware for Iphone 3G such as: 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1... Do you know which one is the best for Iphone 3G? It support to make Iphone a little bit faster than others and more memory system? Thanks

4.0.1 but some people say it's slow, so I suggest backing up your shsh then see if you like it, if not then go down to 3.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    4.0.1 but some people say it's slow, so I suggest backing up your shsh then see if you like it, if not then go down to 3.1.3
    I have a 3G and I'm curious about the SHSH backup to some server. I thought that this only affects 3GS, not 3G. I'm planning to update to 4.0.1 (I currently have 3.1.2 with blackra1n) and I came across your post. Please shed more light to me about the 3G and SHSH to 4.0.1, tnx!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

3G phones need SHSHs to restore to 4.0.x. They can always go down to 3.1.x without much difficulty (meaning going to 3.1.x doesnt require SHSHs).

Id suggest staying on 3.1.x for 3G phones. From personal experience, 4.0 was troublesome and I went back to 3.1.3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RobberBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    3G phones need SHSHs to restore to 4.0.x. They can always go down to 3.1.x without much difficulty (meaning going to 3.1.x doesnt require SHSHs).

Id suggest staying on 3.1.x for 3G phones. From personal experience, 4.0 was troublesome and I went back to 3.1.3.
    double that.. and uninstall WB as i just did and modify your own theme manually (limited).. ;P faster at least..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I heart winterboard

I avoid the lag it brings by deleting all language packs except english and disabling launch daemons. Still running 58mb with WB installed. Great stuff. Then again w/o WB i get 60-65mb... Still runs fast and smooth tho lol.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Depending upon what you need and/or want from Cydia, 4.x can be troublesome. Our jb'ing community hasn't had as long as Apple do make their apps compatible. 4.x is also more resource hungry, aka slower. For a 3G user, stay with 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 unless you really need the 4.0 features.

Thanks for the info

Yup, I think I'll stay away with 4.0.x for now. When I got the iPhone 3G, it was on 3.1.3 and I hacked it right away (using spirit). I had awful battery life. I only had Cydia, Keepawake, SBSettings, OpenSSH, CategoriesSB, mobile terminal installed. I didn't install WB because of the lag. For some reason, the battery dies @ ~3 hours of use, and 10 of idle time. With those 3 hours, I was just listening to Podcast (screen off) and doing some browsing.

Now, I've read bad things about upgrading to 3.1.3 because of battery issues, so I just downgrading to 3.1.2 just to see. I've done the language pack and deamon removal and I hope it helps. It is charged right now and I don't know what to expect later when I wake up and use it for the whole day.

I'm suspecting that it is a hardware battery problem. I hate to do it, but cheap Ebay batteries could be my real fix. I hope it won't explode in my pants, that would suck. lol

EDIT: If you could point me to a more legit but reasonable battery replacement instead of those Ebay China made batteries, I would jump for you and thank you!
    Last edited by keplenk; 08-12-2010 at 11:27 PM.

I would stick to the apple battery replacement if you really want one. As a Product Safety Engineer I would never ever get those china batteries because they havent been tested to be safe at all and like you said could eventually explode in your pants lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to asnman For This Useful Post:

Kalaharijack (08-24-2010)

Hi friends I have 3G iPhone with os 4.01 it was nice but I think my battery usage is more kindly throw some light on this issue

The firmware ios 4.0.1 is 99% same as 4.0. Ios 4 always makes Iphone 3G slower and takes a lot of system memory from device. I suggest anyone who own Iphone 3g back down to 3.x FW. It is the easiest way to get your iphone faster and smoother than any FW.

now ios 4.0.2 is a quiet better bit.

I would recommend 3.1.2 or 3.1.3!!! Stay away from os4 on a 3G. My 3G takes at the most 12secs to load the stock settings app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My 3GS on 4.0.1 J/B & Unlocked took about 34 sec. to load.

I've got a 3GS and I'm staying on 3.1.3 for now, so I'd definitely recommend you do the same if you're on a 3G.

I've heard pretty much nothing but negative things about 4.0.x since its release, and many people with 3Gs say it's almost unusable.

Hopefully, Steve Jobs will release a new software to fix the slow iphone 3g on ios4.x next month.

Any update on this thread. I am on T-Mobile so no real need to upgrade. I have a 3G. Is the best firmware in the 3's or should I switch to 4.

yes I know, I know, 3G sucks...get a new phone.....blah blah blah.... but really which is best. Also is the complaint just the initial load time at startup or is it buggy.

Thanks in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    because of the limited ability of the 3g you should downgrade to 3.1.2 because 3.1.3 was only released to patch blackrain. I dont recommend any 4.x.xx on a 3g because it will slow your phone down alot..

same question, sorta
    got a 3Gs, what f/w you recommend for speed and least trouble. i do not wanna go up to 5.0.
    currently downgraded from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 to 4.1. still have BB 05.16.02 tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast