Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Straight Talk GSM sim W/ iPhone

Default Straight Talk GSM sim W/ iPhone
    Is there a way to accomplish this? I am okay without the data but would love to use my old iPhone for voice and text on my straight talk plan (tracphone).

I have been researching this for a couple of days and think I am understanding things a little better...

- Straight Talks sim is locked to the original phones imei number
    - there is a hack for the iphone to where you could change the imei number ( illegal )

The whole APN thing is related to data transfer i guess...
    then theres mcc,mnc numbers... I have no clue..

Does anyone have a solution? Straight talk's phone's are both cdma (verizon) and gsm (att) from what i've researched.

If anyone knows how i can accomplish using the iphone with my straight talk sim / account, please let me know at [email protected].

Thanks!!!

Corey

also talked with my friend who works for att and he said that if you use an att gophone prepaid card, you can get it to work but when att finds out, they will shut you down and you could lose your ported number, which would be devastating.......
    Last edited by windycitybags; 08-11-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

On my phone so don't have the link, but search TheAppleBlog for pre paid iPhone and the guide should help with your situation.

Thanks

As far as I know there hasn't been a hack for changing the IMEI since the first iPhone and ziphone.

Default still confused
    I have jailbroke and unlocked my phone. put my straight sim in the iphone and nothing....

is there something else i should be doing?

okay the jailbreak and unlock didn't work so now i tried to reset my phone and now i think i have a frickin brick.... anyone? help!
    Last edited by windycitybags; 08-12-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default iphone with straight talk
    Try getting this:
    1. get the IMEI number from your straight talk phone and write it on a notepad. should be by doing *#06#
    3. do the same thing for your iphone (settings/general/about)
    2. use ziphone to change your iPhone's IMEI to the same one on your straight talk phone. iClarified - iPhone - How to Change Your iPhone IMEI with ZiPhone (Windows) (Comments)
    3. restart iphone.

let me know what happens

Default Straight Talk w/o Sim Card
    My Straight Talk phone doesn't have a SIM card. It is a Samsung R451C Sliding phone.

I'd love to be able to get an iPhone to work with this service, but I'm unsure if it would work.

Any hints or tips to know where to look for information would be great.

Thanks!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jbachman View Post
    My Straight Talk phone doesn't have a SIM card. It is a Samsung R451C Sliding phone.

I'd love to be able to get an iPhone to work with this service, but I'm unsure if it would work.

Any hints or tips to know where to look for information would be great.

Thanks!

Joe
    this model is a cdma phone (verizon) if you look in the back of the straight talk box, you'll see its a tracfone. att and verizon owns tracfone. so some of the straiht phones have sim and its att. the others dont and is verizon. i jus found this out because my frens straight, he sent a pic message to my email so i had his emil address to send him custom ringtones. and it was (#)mypix.com. js yesterday he got a new straight with new number. i tried to send ringtones but it got rjected. so i told him to send pic mess again to my email. and to my astonishment his address was (#)@mms.att.net. oh he also said his new phone had a sim.

Would it be possible to jail break it though to work with this system? Even though it runs off of verizons network, the serial number of the phone registers with straight talk (tracfone) I think.

Smile Its possible to use iPhone with Straight Talk
    Ok... it is possible to use the iPhone 3G with StraightTalk.

1. Make sure the ST phone you have is GSM (sim card) not CDMA (Verizon)
    2. Power off iPhone & ST Phone.
    3. Put ST sim into iPhone

**Most of you may have already done this and notice that you can place and receive calls.... send and receive txts but not MMS or get internet for you apps and etc. Well Step 4 will explain how you can add a new carrier file to your iphone so you can use the full features.

Option A: Manually configure your carrier file and add the APN and etc. I won't elaborate on this option.

Option B: Download the premade file. If you chose Option B, proceed to step 4

4. Visit the following link on your iPhone: StraightTalk.mobileconfig
    5. Click the Start Download.
    6. You will be asked if you want to install an "UNSIGNED"/"UNVERIFIED" file. Just click install.
    7. VIOLA!!! It works... You may need to reboot the iPhone. I didn't... I have full access to internet and apps can access internet.
    Last edited by samuel8614; 12-28-2010 at 11:55 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samuel8614 For This Useful Post:

qRacecaRp (02-18-2011)

Default MMS works
    I have the MMS working on my iphone now...

You will need to go into cydia and search for "SUPREME PREFERENCES"

Open winterboard and enable supreme pref. and respring

Goto settings>supreme preferences>applications>phone and enable "Cellular Data Editing" back out to main settings page and click on general>network>cellular data

You will need to input these settings for mms

APN: att.mvno
    proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
    mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com

and that should do it...

Quote Originally Posted by jbachman View Post
    Would it be possible to jail break it though to work with this system? Even though it runs off of verizons network, the serial number of the phone registers with straight talk (tracfone) I think.
    nope... it won't work... the only way to get an iphone to work is if you get a phone with a sim and it has to be an unlocked sim. Some of the phones they have (the cheaper priced ones) are "branded" by tracfone.

Branded = turn it on it says tracfone and etc...

I know the Nokia E71 and the other high priced phone of its equivilent (the slider) may be unlocked.

Unless you already have an iPhone this will be a VERY expensive thing to do.

Nokia E71: $244.99 (From Straight Talk Website w/30 day service plan)
    iPhone: $100+ (may find cheaper)

Until someone bundles a new carrier pack for the iPhone with the Straight Talk settings you will only get internet, txting and voice calls. If you want MMS capabilities then you will need to jailbreak and manually change those settings.
    Last edited by samuel8614; 01-04-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

All is good except

"Supreme Preferences" is no longer in the Cydia store...?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by qRacecaRp; 03-03-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samuel8614 View Post

**Most of you may have already done this and notice that you can place and receive calls.... send and receive txts but not MMS or get internet for you apps and etc. Well Step 4 will explain how you can add a new carrier file to your iphone so you can use the full features.

Option A: Manually configure your carrier file and add the APN and etc. I won't elaborate on this option.

6. You will be asked if you want to install an "UNSIGNED"/"UNVERIFIED" file. Just click install.
    7. VIOLA!!! It works... You may need to reboot the iPhone. I didn't... I have full access to internet and apps can access internet.
    Great post! Thank you.

Two questions:
    1.Can it be any cheap ST phone or must be E71 like?
    2.Will it work with iphone 4?
    Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by durkh8r; 03-26-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by durkh8r View Post
    Great post! Thank you.

Two questions:
    1.Can it be any cheap ST phone or must be E71 like?
    2.Will it work with iphone 4?
    Thanx in advance.
    1. It must be a GSM phone, so no. Either of the $200 phones must be used (they include a sim card needed). The E71 is a better phone, the 6790 is more of a messaging phone for kids.
    2. I would think so... But IKD.

Interesting, neither phone is listed, for my area, on the ST site at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by samuel8614 View Post

Maybe I was not clear enough...

As long as it is in the first lines of the quoted text... I know that's must be GSM kind of ST phone.
    The question is:
    Must it be expensive like E71 or it can be cheaper one like Samsung T401G, T255G or LG 620G?
    Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by durkh8r; 03-27-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Maybe I was not clear enough...

As long as it is in the first lines of the quoted text... I know that's must be GSM kind of ST phone.
    The question is:
    Must it be expensive like E71 or it can be cheaper one like Samsung T401G, T255G or LG 620G?
    Thanx in advance.

Only the E71 and the more expensive Nokia slider use SIM cards. The cheaper ones use Verizon service (So no SIM cards)
    Black 16gb iPhone 4S 5.1.1
    Macbook Air OSX 10.8.2

Not true.
    Samsnung T401G, T255G or LG 620G all are GSM phones cannot function w/o sim card.
    Straight Talk Samsung T255G Cell phone review

The thing is...
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy2000
    ...I found some info from another cellphone thread. It was pointed out that the sim card had to be an "unlocked" sim from Straight talk which is only available in their Smart Phone 3G models, namely the Nokia E71. (Update: I was told to stay away from the Nokia 6790 Smart Phone, it does not have the unlocked sim card needed.)...
    I already bought E71 from local walmart.

Not true.
    Samsnung T401G, T255G or LG 620G all are GSM phones cannot function w/o sim card.
    Straight Talk Samsung T255G Cell phone review

The thing is...

I already bought E71 from local walmart.
    HI, I want to buy an E71 from Walmart...they just got a whole new batch....Im just worried this new batch might be branded now....can you confirm if the one you bought yesterday is branded or not?

Confirmed...new batch in walmart is not branded to tracfone
    Last edited by vartanarsen; 03-31-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have the Samsung T401G which is GSM. I'm buying an iPhone 3G. With the ziphone app and the other straight talk config file will this iPhone work?

i have straight talk lg900g and it has a sim card so if i order a iphone 3gs from apple jailbreak and unlock it. can i use straightalk on iphones 3gs?
    iPhone 4 gsm
    iPod Touch 4
    iPod Touch 2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast