+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Straight Talk GSM sim W/ iPhone

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by Silikon May have a slight problem. I have been using my 3gs w/ a ST SIM for a couple of months. Yesterday I bought a refill card
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silikon View Post
    May have a slight problem.
    I have been using my 3gs w/ a ST SIM for a couple of months. Yesterday I bought a refill card and went to activate it, and they wouldn't let me because the e71's serial wasn't coming up in their system. ...long story short, I've been on the phone with ST's customer service for an hour and a half claiming ignorance, but when my service runs up, I may be screwed because I don't have an e71's serial number to give them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thats why I have the nokia e71 phone and/or the Activation Card with the serial # and sim card # always near.
    StraightTalk iPhone4 3G

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes the SIM cards on the cheap phones will not work in any unlocked phone. Is it possible they locked the SIM cards

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone been able to get this to fully work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Register your account on st website...pay through with credit card...!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Straight talk prematurely de-activates my 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Silikon View Post
    May have a slight problem.
    I have been using my 3gs w/ a ST SIM for a couple of months. Yesterday I bought a refill card and went to activate it, and they wouldn't let me because the e71's serial wasn't coming up in their system. ...long story short, I've been on the phone with ST's customer service for an hour and a half claiming ignorance, but when my service runs up, I may be screwed because I don't have an e71's serial number to give them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I had the same thing happen yesterday Silikon. I have been on ST for 3 months. I was supposed to have service until 5/17, but found the phone de-activated, EVEN THOUGH I had kept my e71 serial # and gave it to them! ST said it was not coming up as a valid #... I have been tethering, but not excessively (under 1GB), and I never got a warning phone call from ST. Waiting like Silikon for any help.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay so I spoke with my source from ST.

They DO know what phone you are using. Even if you ******** them and tell them an e71 serial they still know.

I am using both phones, and transferring my sim to the e71 randomly.

They (customer sevice

Don't know how much data you are using. Which is ******** because it says unlimited!!!!

I can't risk loosing this number because of the nature of my job. I just sent my source some money via western union to keep her happy and find out what she can regarding this. I just paid in full for a year to save myself for a while. Because it will be harder for them to drop me since I paid in advance.

Also, where the **** is BBB? They advertise UNLIMITED DATA!!!!!
    Last edited by Nerologic; 05-17-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I refilled. They let me by with it. I called last night and was on the phone for about 5 minutes with no issues. So, I'm still good. For now.

There's no way they could know exactly which phone I'm using, as the iPhone serial isn't in their database. Now, if they were to look at my connection history and see any saurik databases, they'd know I was on cydia- which would kinda narrow it down. But in doing that, they'd be breaking an FCC regulation.

As far as the data cap, I agree wholeheartedly. I had to dig (and I mean DIG) into the TOS agreement (more than 2/3 the way through) to find the actual limit- which is 5gb

Thanks

Please show where in the T&C's that states a 5GB limit. I searched all the way through it and there is not one mention of it.

Thanks

I'll have to look for a copy. It's been a while since I researched it.

Thanks
    I am thinking of buying the 3 or 6 months plan, is it too crazy to do the 1year plan? lol
    StraightTalk iPhone4 3G

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do the year plan, I did.

That way they won't boot me for using too much data lol

They will have to refund me my 500 bucks (or most of) the money I paid for a year. This is kind of insurance for me to keep my ST plan.

500 isn't sh!t for a year. I was spending this on 2-3 monThs of service lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerologic View Post
    Do the year plan, I did.

They will have to refund me my 500 bucks (or most of) the money I paid for a year. This is kind of insurance for me to keep my ST plan.

500 isn't sh!t for a year. I was spending this on 2-3 monThs of service lol
    That is true lol 3 months, 6 months or 1 year is the way to go.
    StraightTalk iPhone4 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robnyc View Post
    I am thinking of buying the 3 or 6 months plan, is it too crazy to do the 1year plan? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by robnyc View Post
    That is true lol 3 months, 6 months or 1 year is the way to go.
    Purchasing in advance in effect creates a contract, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of pre-paid, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerologic View Post
    Do the year plan, I did.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!
    From the ST Terms and Conditions of Service, it reads, and I quote,
    A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.
    They will, and have, terminated service to users WITHOUT refund.
    And they don't have to prove anything other than your data usage exceeded what they deem as excessive.
    Again I quote...
    Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, or discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, that, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers;
    How's that for arbitrary?
    And most of the reports I've heard were closer to 2GB-3GB when the hammer fell.

So, I'd suggest installing something like Dataman from the App Store to accurately track your usage, avoid excessive streaming (anything more than light use of Netflix and Pandora are sure to set off the alarms) and tethering, and just use common sense.

The ST iPhone exploit.
    It's a good thing - I love mine.
    Hopefully it'll be around for awhile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TypeO View Post
    Purchasing in advance in effect creates a contract, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of pre-paid, amirite?

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!
    From the ST Terms and Conditions of Service, it reads, and I quote,

They will, and have, terminated service to users WITHOUT refund.
    And they don't have to prove anything other than your data usage exceeded what they deem as excessive.
    Again I quote...

How's that for arbitrary?
    And most of the reports I've heard were closer to 2GB-3GB when the hammer fell.

So, I'd suggest installing something like Dataman from the App Store to accurately track your usage, avoid excessive streaming (anything more than light use of Netflix and Pandora are sure to set off the alarms) and tethering, and just use common sense.

The ST iPhone exploit.
    It's a good thing - I love mine.
    Hopefully it'll be around for awhile.

Notice how it says service terminated not the phone itself. If they want to terminate the service to be it but they have no right to blacklist the IMEI of the phone so you can not sell it because you paid full price for the phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Notice how it says service terminated not the phone itself. If they want to terminate the service to be it but they have no right to blacklist the IMEI of the phone so you can not sell it because you paid full price for the phone.
    My reply was mostly to point out the danger of purchasing service months in advance.
    Purchase a 6 month card and get terminated in the first month and you're screwed bad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Hello my fellow modsters!
    Ive jailebrolen my Iphone 3GS on ios 4.0.1 and swapped in a Nokia E71 sim.. Iv`e unlocked and installed the new version of TetherMe from Cydia whick has activated my data which is not the 3G i expected and need dearlyhttp://modmyi.com/images/smilies/dorkgrin.pnghttp://modmyi.com/images/smilies/dorkgrin.pnghttp://modmyi.com/images/smilies/dorkgrin.png Anyhows where my 3G should be, there is an E! And my speeds are painstakingly slow for my taste. Any takers to tackle my issue will be greatly appreciated and i always love to learn new tricks...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drambo17 View Post
    you need to have the e71 phone from straight talk even then you dont need to unlock or jail break to use the voice and tect on the iphone
    Does it HAVE to be the E71 or can it be the 6790 Slider? I have the slider and it has the SIM card in it, and it supports 3G + GPS, so I don't see why this SIM wouldn't work since the SIM card isn't branded by ST.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes there is i bought my sim card off ebay with mother board and had them activate the card but trying to keep your same number gonna take some time....your st phone must be in an area that supports the sim card phone go to straight talk and type in your zipcode and try to look up phones and it will give you the selected phone in your area a gsm or sim card phone..i use tha bigger city zipcode to get a sim card phone activated..

okay heres my problem..Yes i used the Nokia 371 phone and placed it in a razor phone that was laying around and it worked perfectly, recieving texts and calls internet but soon the internet stopped and i couldn't send text..I can recieve text but can't send or pic messaging so my iphone 3g came in and switched sim card it work but now i still can't send text messages..and it give me the error of "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service..." so do i need to jailbreak this phone to get the service usage? any hellp would be great
    Last edited by n8vguy401; 10-28-2011 at 05:49 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone on Straight Talk
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStretch View Post
    Ive jailebrolen my Iphone 3GS on ios 4.0.1 and swapped in a Nokia E71 sim.. Iv`e unlocked and installed the new version of TetherMe from Cydia whick has activated my data which is not the 3G i expected and need dearlyhttp://modmyi.com/images/smilies/dorkgrin.pnghttp://modmyi.com/images/smilies/dorkgrin.pnghttp://modmyi.com/images/smilies/dorkgrin.png Anyhows where my 3G should be, there is an E! And my speeds are painstakingly slow for my taste. Any takers to tackle my issue will be greatly appreciated and i always love to learn new tricks...

There's a good tutorial for iPhone use on Straight Talk's plan.

How to use the iPhone 4 on StraightTalk with full 3G functionality!! - YouTube

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't fine "Supreme Preferences".
    Quote Originally Posted by qRacecaRp View Post
    All is good except

"Supreme Preferences" is no longer in the Cydia store...?

Thanks for any help!

Is there something else I should look for? There is no "Supreme Preferences" when I do a search on Cydia. I get everything BUT picture messages