+ Reply
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ya so I checked my test, last night it was at 96%, I did some facebooking and a little apps for like 30-40mins, battery charge was still at 96%, now
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ya so I checked my test, last night it was at 96%, I did some facebooking and a little apps for like 30-40mins, battery charge was still at 96%, now (9 hours later) on standby, it is 94%, so I'm guessing this has nothing to do with SBSettings installed or anything, seems like an unlock issue, I didn't unlock my phone since I have AT&T.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

A good tool to use is the usage section of settings. It will tell you how many hours your phone has been off charge and how many of those hours you have used the device. Obviously the longer the usage the shorter the standby time will be. (standby would be the amount of time your phone has been off charge) I'll post my results here tonight but I would say on average I use my phone 50 percent of my day.

Apple stay up to 7 hours of talk time and 6 hours of Internet time. And I would say most things done on the phone is done using Internet so that puts my phone right on track with apples specs as u get about 6-7 hours of usage out of my phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

total usage on mine after unlocked with ultrasn0w ranges around 6-7 hours of moderate call use only (1 hr total), but with most settings off

usually when my phone is about dead, it has 1-2 hrs usage with 6-8 hr standby
    Last edited by thepianocian; 08-07-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yeah that is caca last night I was 5.5 and 14 hrs with 20 percent left

Not to mention I am jailbroken have sbsettings installed, winterboard with an icon only theme running and pretty much alll of your standard jb apps and mobile substrate extensions installed
    Last edited by subywrex; 08-07-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

For me I believe it was ultrasn0w, I had it installed and saw a 10% battery drain on a 15 minute drive to work with screen off, uninstalled and lost 8% overnight 8hrs. Planetbeing questioned whether it sucked more battery when registered with an actual carrier in one of his tweets.

For some reason I have no usage stats at all despite having just charged to 100% overnight.

Green Apple
    Thanks

man i hope planetbeing can fix it or im selling my phone and getting a canadian one

Thanks

This will happen if you reboot the phone. I noticed that after the jb came out cause I was installing stuff that recurred a reboot

But yes ot does seem to be the unlock that is causing the battery drain. I know with the last unlock for ios3 my buddy was on tmobile with a 3GS and his battery was crap

Quote Originally Posted by thepianocian View Post
    man i hope planetbeing can fix it or im selling my phone and getting a canadian one
    I think you can get your phone unlocked from your carrier rather than buying a new one. I'm not sure if this is true but assume that because the iPhone is built to work on those frequencies it is able to be factory unlocked.

I hear of people doing this with AT&T because they travel internationally or they move to a diff country. Talk with your service provider or apple
    Last edited by subywrex; 08-07-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

re sat mine back, battery gone in 24 hrs, usually goes 3 days.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had terrible battery life after jailbreaking. I finally noticed that tethering kept trying running the spinning ball. So I went through step #2 on this post - How to Resolve Battery Issues in iPhone/iPod after iOS 4 update | Apple

My battery problems are solved now. Question - is there a way to have openSSH default to Off during reboot?

iPhone 4 32g iOS 4.0.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saab9k View Post
    re sat mine back, battery gone in 24 hrs, usually goes 3 days.
    3 days?? Do you only use your phone for 1 hour? Lol

I Mean honestly Battery life comes down to usage. And what kind of usage you do and how much you do of it.

If you use it maily for texting and music then yeah your phone will last a long time. For most users we do a lot of browsing Internet, streaming content, and talking on the phone. I woild say getting 9 to 10 hrs of actual usage woild be really high. So if you only do like 3 hrs of usage a day then yeah your battery will last 3 days.

But I highly doubt your getting 72 hours of moderate to heavy usage
    Last edited by subywrex; 08-07-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    3 days?? Do you only use your phone for 1 hour? Lol
    Not too surprising, I got 3-4 days of heavy use before I put the carrier unlock in. This includes video editing and playing Street Fighter IV for hours. After unlock is when it went down the crapper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thepianocian View Post
    Not too surprising, I got 3-4 days of heavy use before I put the carrier unlock in. This includes video editing and playing Street Fighter IV for hours. After unlock is when it went down the crapper.
    I really have a hard time believing this. I have a few friends with iPhone 4. We all use the phone pretty heavy and can't get more than a day of battery life and we do not have an unlock. And this was before the jailbreak.

3-4 days is what my friend gets out of heavy usage on his ipad wifi and that is insane. And I know the battery is better on the iPad than the iphone

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itry2hide View Post
    ...Question - is there a way to have openSSH default to Off during reboot?...
    Uninstall it. But seriously, SSH has been accused (but always dismissed) of causing battery issues. Leave it alone -- it's not the problem.

Thanks

My battery life has gone down considerably as well, and I'm just jailbroken, I don't use ultrasnow.

I can barely last a day with the same average usage as before the jb, however when I wasn't jailbroken I could easily get 2 days of battery life.

I've uninstalled openssh, libhide, preferenceloader, sbsettings, and activator to see if I get any improvement.

All I have JBd for, and is currently installed is:
    MyWi
    My3g (only selected apps enabled)
    iNes
    iSnes
    TvOut2
    Last edited by x999x; 08-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I also have my battery draining alot faster on my ip4.
    Since i needed unlock to make it work I was basically using it as an itouch.
    Since unlocking the phone I have sb settings, mywi and recently added a data plan (3g internet service)
    I'm also losing about 5% battery on stand by.

3g is turned off, push norifications off, bluetooth off, cellular data off, screen brightness 50%, all aplications are shut (nothing running on backgroud)

I really doubt the problem could be sbsettings as this was never an issue on my 3gs.

Very frustrating.
    Last edited by allanes5; 08-07-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    If your getting battery drain on standby then yea you have an issue. I thought youbwere averaging out your battery life.

Like I said on a normal day I get about 4-5% battery per hour. Sometimes I'm on standby and sometimes I'm on itfor 2 hour straight. All I know is this phone drastically has better battery live than it's predecessors.

5 percent batterylife (average with out special treatment ie turning features off) I would say is good battery life (100 devided by 5 is 20) so again 20 hours out of a battery on a smart phone that is used constantly would be absolutely finominal.

Your battery life also boils down to your usage and what type of usage. My friend was only getting like 8 hrs out of his battery but then after this "honey moon" period was over. With the phone and he went back to normal usages his battery was consistent with mine.

How many hours total do you get?
    100% drained

Usage : 2 hours 14 min.
    Standby : 18 hours 12 min.

something is wrongggggg...ill try this again once more to confirm. then im gonna uninstall ultra snow and test.

p.s. everything off....no push...no wifi..no 3g...no data...no bluetooth..
    Last edited by samin0786; 08-07-2010 at 10:03 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    battery life seems better then my 3gs
    but after a 16hr day of a few call one facetime and 2 hours of app use im left at the 20% warning, thats with the works installed on cydia and my 3g running
    im pretty happy with that

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSI70Y's Avatar
    Thanks

I also starting noticing shocking battery drain on my iP4. Only on wifi though
    I did notice the tethering wheel in network constantly running whilst on WiFi. I tried a restoring from backups, restoring to original then from backup, etc.
    I have just restored as a brand new phone and have noticed battery is back to normal. Will JB and install Cydia apps one by one and try to report my findings.
    I got a feeling it was the SBSettings tethering toggle, but I will see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samin0786 View Post
    100% drained

Usage : 2 hours 14 min.
    Standby : 18 hours 12 min.

something is wrongggggg...ill try this again once more to confirm. then im gonna uninstall ultra snow and test.

p.s. everything off....no push...no wifi..no 3g...no data...no bluetooth..
    Yeah that is caca!! Today I rounded up 14 hours standby and near 7 hours of usage at 5 percent battery

Today I was on my phone a little but more than usual and that's the reason for only 14 hours of life

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    another note the ip4 charges so much quicker then the 3gs