Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOw to format iphone

Default HOw to format iphone
    anyone's help in formatting iphone will be appreciated. i want to hard format i phone like we do with computer HDD and reinstall whole of OS in it. Searched a lot but didn't find anything related to it. All what i found is jail-breaking and restore from itunes. FYI these both methods are not solving my problem.

Did you have any success with formatting your iphone?

no man all what advices i got is restoring firmware or JB again

thats crap man. Why do you need to format your HD anyway?

My iphone is misbehaving as well now.. since I upgraded to ios 4.0.1 . funnily enough I still got the old bootrom? not sure how is it possible if the upgrade was successful haha

iPhone doesn't have a hard drive so it doesn't format the same way, shift+restore in iTunes deletes the entire OS and installs again. What exactly is the problem?

Thanks

What sort of problems are you having? When you do a restore it is essentially the same thing as formatting and reinstalling an os on a computer. If you are having software related issues try doing a clean restore then when it gets to the part where it asks you if you want to restore from backup or set up as a new phone, choose set up as a new phone. Some problems can get carried over even after a restore if you choose restore from backup.

iPhone has a flash memory, doesnt it?

anyways .. I can restore it successfully, however, when I turn the phone on, it just shows the logo, after a few minutes it will spin and restart itself. Bootrom is not updated for some reason either after the firmware upgrade. (I used iDetector to check this).

Any ideas?

Cant i format it from a MAC ?? my mate has a mac so he could probably help. Kinda lost :I

Thanks

So even after a restore and set up as a new phone you never see the springboard or lockscreem at all? The bootrom won't get updated, that's written into hardware. That won't change no matter what you do.

yeah, even after restore nothing comes up apart from the apple logo which is spinning for a bit and then restarting itself.

any suggestions? ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Have you tried a DFU restore?
    What phone? What FW were you on and had you JB before?
    Do you get any error when you restore?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I tried DFU and recovery numerous times, no difference.
    iPhone 3GS, 32gb, mb717. It wasnt JB before.

The restore goes through successfully and activates too but nothing comes up on the screen apart from the damn spinning logo.

A DFU restore should work.
    So you just get the spinning logo and it reboots every 2 minutes? Sounds like something isn't initialising properly - could there be a hardware fault?
    A DFU restore has wiped your phone completely - if that hasn't worked I'd suggest taking it in to Apple.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

a DFU should work, but its not .

yes, reboots every about 2 mins or so. There shouldnt be a hardware fault as far as i can tell. Phone is not physically damaged or anything?

I may need to travel to apple store .. from the sound of things.

crap. tried saving the hassle

Thanks a lot for trying though!