Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 16GB 3Gs no data through network

Default 16GB 3Gs no data through network
    I recently bought an used 16GB 3Gs using OS4.0 from ebay. It is in excellent condition with the exception of an apparent light drop (small area of dimpling on a corner) to concrete. I signed up for the base data package and cannot receive data over the network. The phone had 4-5 bars and displayed the E icon signifying that it was on EDGE yet I cannot even load google in Safari. I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T's customer service and their tech support. Many restarts and settings changes later the phone still does not receive data. Support suggested that I "upgrade" to 4.0.1 which I did and still no change. I know there isn't an issue with the tower that is only 1/2 mile from my home because my father uses data on his Blackberry without a problem. The phone makes and receives calls and surfs the web fine on my wifi. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Well I picked up a new sim card today and that didn't help. Luckily it is still under warranty until the 17th of August so I'm going to see about sending it in for repair. It still seems odd that it will do everything BUT receive data from the network.
    Last edited by Lunikalm; 07-27-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lunikalm View Post
    I recently bought an used 16GB 3Gs using OS4.0 from ebay. It is in excellent condition with the exception of an apparent light drop (small area of dimpling on a corner) to concrete. I signed up for the base data package and cannot receive data over the network. The phone had 4-5 bars and displayed the E icon signifying that it was on EDGE yet I cannot even load google in Safari. I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T's customer service and their tech support. Many restarts and settings changes later the phone still does not receive data. Support suggested that I "upgrade" to 4.0.1 which I did and still no change. I know there isn't an issue with the tower that is only 1/2 mile from my home because my father uses data on his Blackberry without a problem. The phone makes and receives calls and surfs the web fine on my wifi. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Well I picked up a new sim card today and that didn't help. Luckily it is still under warranty until the 17th of August so I'm going to see about sending it in for repair. It still seems odd that it will do everything BUT receive data from the network.
    When you say you are 1/2 mile from the tower is it 3g tower or Edge?

Reason is that some apps need 3g or Wifi to work and if your using Edge it is Sloooooooooooooooow!

Thanks

this happened to me.

i called the Rogers guy and he made me restart it and take out the sim and all this BS

then he told me to reset network settings and restart and that fixed it. try it.

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings

DO IT!
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    When you say you are 1/2 mile from the tower is it 3g tower or Edge?

Reason is that some apps need 3g or Wifi to work and if your using Edge it is Sloooooooooooooooow!
    It's Edge. I know Edge is slow but NOTHING ever loads..ever. I even went into a larger town and went to wash my car. Before I got out of the car I started the App Store loading. When I got back into the car it still hadn't loaded. The people at AT&T had the same problem when I took it by there.

this happened to me.

i called the Rogers guy and he made me restart it and take out the sim and all this BS

then he told me to reset network settings and restart and that fixed it. try it.

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings

DO IT!
    I went through all that with AT&T's technical support. I've adjust every available setting, reset the phone completely, tried setting up as a new phone, etc. I've tried every single remedy on the web and offered by tech support. At this point I'm calling it a hardware problem. I'm calling Apple back tomorrow and see about sending it in while the warranty is still good.

Thanks

ok yeah good idea, try to get it replaced if it has warranty
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008