+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have a 16gb iPhone 4, want a 32gb, past 30 day return period

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey there MMi! Here's the situation. I got a 16gb ip4 on launch day and I have since decided that I would like a 32gb. Obviously I am past my
    My iPhone is a Part of Me headcheese's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Have a 16gb iPhone 4, want a 32gb, past 30 day return period
    Hey there MMi!

Here's the situation. I got a 16gb ip4 on launch day and I have since decided that I would like a 32gb. Obviously I am past my 30 day return period so I'll have to put up the $499 for a new 32gb ip4. I see that 16gb are going on eBay for around $600-$700, and I would imagine I could fetch a bit more if I jailbreak and unlock it (which should be soon).

Here are my questions that I hope you can help answer:

1. Once I receive the new 32gb (3 weeks or so) and activate it will my old 16gb ip4 not have any ties to my account? Meaning could I leave the old 16gb sim card in there for my buyer to use or would I have to remove it?

2. Would it make more sense to just swap sims and send the 16gb ip4 to my buyer with the new 32gb sim? Is that 32gb sim card in any way tied to my AT&T account? Or is it neutral until someone activates it in iTunes?

3. If I do option 2 how will AT&T know that my 32gb is my official account phone?

Any help/feedback would be great. If you have any other words of wisdom please feel free to speak up!

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong. According to Steve Jobs on last press. He said if u don't like your ip4. Just return it. there is no restocking fee. Y not return and buy it again. The only down is u might have to wait for the phone to ship to u.

Thanks

The return time is 30 days from date of purchase, which as you can see by my post I am past that time

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headcheese For This Useful Post:

Trrixx (07-26-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

honestly if I were you, I would still try to exchange it at an Apple store. When its within a few days, they usually will allow it.

Thanks

yeah, i agree with SB. The worst they could say is no. But I wouldn't tell them that you want a 32GB. Just act like the unsatisfied consumer. I'm sure they'll help you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    yeah, i agree with SB. The worst they could say is no. But I wouldn't tell them that you want a 32GB. Just act like the unsatisfied consumer. I'm sure they'll help you.
    I would do that except:

1. I don't want to be without a phone for 3 weeks.
    2. I could probably make some money on this transaction by selling on eBay.

Can anyone answer my actual questions? I am not going to try to return it so I'd like to know how things will pan out when I get the 32gb delivered.

Thanks guys!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Easiest way is to just remove the sim and send it without one. The person who buys your phone should be able to go to the AT&T and get one for free when they setup their account.

Thanks

I think that's what I'll do then. I just ordered my 32gb iPhone 4 Wonder how long it will take...

FYI- I spoke to an AT&T rep (which obviously could be wrong) and he said that once I activate my 32gb on my # through iTunes that the old one will have no ties to my account at all. I said to him that I'd be giving it to "my sister" and didn't want it to be able to be added back to my account. He said that couldn't happen.

Can anyone else verify that?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't say for certain, but I think the safest way would be to remove the SIM and destroy it. The new owner can get a new SIM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Exactly. Sims are given out like candy, there's no reason to include one. Just let the new owner get their own.

Thanks

Got it Thanks all!!

Excited at the prospect of reliving launch day over again in a few weeks hah

Thanks

Selling your old and getting a new phone, wouldn't you have 2 contracts now? Unless you're going to pay to terminate one.

Thanks

No because I am just replacing the phone. I didn't add a line, just selected to "upgrade" my current 16gb to a 32gb.

I am resigning my 2 year agreement but that's ok

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
    No because I am just replacing the phone. I didn't add a line, just selected to "upgrade" my current 16gb to a 32gb.

I am resigning my 2 year agreement but that's ok
    I would never thought it would be that easy. In this case wouldn't everyone be doing that - buy a 16gb at the cheap eligible 2 year contract price, then a week later simply sell it "unlocked" for tons more?

And in return just buy the 32gb also discounted and hassle free? seems fishy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    I would never thought it would be that easy. In this case wouldn't everyone be doing that - buy a 16gb at the cheap eligible 2 year contract price, then a week later simply sell it "unlocked" for tons more?

And in return just buy the 32gb also discounted and hassle free? seems fishy
    Fair enough.

I called AT&T and made sure that the pricing was correct, and explained the situation (without saying I'd be selling on eBay) and he didn't even blink. Talked me through what I would do once I got the new phone and told me about how the old 16gb would no longer be tied to my account.

Even if something "fishy" does occur I have 30 days to return the new one anyway.