+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3g on iOS 4.0 not restoring/showing up in iTunes

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
hi guys, The subject line pretty much says it all. I have an iphone 3g jailbroken/unlocked it on 3.0 originally with redsn0w, then basically never upgraded because I was afraid
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Unhappy iphone 3g on iOS 4.0 not restoring/showing up in iTunes
    hi guys,

The subject line pretty much says it all. I have an iphone 3g jailbroken/unlocked it on 3.0 originally with redsn0w, then basically never upgraded because I was afraid I'd lose the jailbreak. I finally took the plunge and tried upgrading to 4.0 on itunes, but my phone got stuck in the process and was continually rebooting, going back and forth between my lock screen and the sad iphone screen.

I finally restored back to 3.0 (unfortunately lost all of my music and photos in the process, but still had my contacts), at which point I tried upgrading to 4.0 in iTunes again. This time it worked, and I was able to jailbreak/unlock again, but since jailbreaking again, my iphone isn't showing up in iTunes anymore (still shows up as a camera when I connect it to my lappy).

Can anyone help? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes, tried rerunning redsn0w, even tried downgrading to 3.1.2 (which didn't work) and even 3.0 (which also didn't work). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'd suggest restoring to 4 and re-jailbreaking again. (not updating mind you, restoring)
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

scullboyknc (07-22-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks, but how can I restore to 4 if the iphone isn't even showing up in itunes? Just to clarify, do you mean running redsn0w again with the 4.0 ipsw?

Thanks

No, I mean putting the phone in recovery mode (hold home + power for about 10 seconds and it should kick in), and restoring back to stock firmware, then re-jailbreaking.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You're talking about putting it in DFU mode? I tried that (followed the steps I found on iClarified). What exactly is supposed to kick in though? When I did it, I just got a black screen. Maybe I didn't do it correctly? Sorry, but I don't understand how to do a lot of this stuff. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

That is exactly what your supposed to do, the screen should be blank, obviously make sure you have it connected to your computer when you do so. It should appear in iTunes then.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

scullboyknc (07-22-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi again, sorry, I'm an idiot. I read the steps on iClarified for how to put my phone into DFU mode, but I was forgetting to release the power button after 10 seconds. I did that this time, and now it's restoring. Thanks so much!

Thanks

Ah you're welcome , I was worried that if it didn't show up in DFU mode, there'd be an even bigger problem.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

scullboyknc (07-22-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Me too. Now I just have to get to a location where I've got a better, faster Internet connection so I can restore the iphone without it taking 12 hours. Internet service in Australia sucks! Thanks again, mate!