+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak 4.0.1

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok, recently have been getting a lot of questions regarding Jailbreaking 4.0.1, and how to restore WITHOUT SHSH on file. First, regardless of where it might say elsewhere if you
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Default How to Jailbreak 4.0.1
    Ok, recently have been getting a lot of questions regarding Jailbreaking 4.0.1, and how to restore WITHOUT SHSH on file.

First, regardless of where it might say elsewhere if you have a iPhone 3GS OLD BOOTROM than it is possible to jailbreak it untethered on all firmwares from 3.1x to 4x. Additionally this applies to any other device with the older bootrom that supports 4x, I.E. iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3G. If you have a new bootrom, you can jailbreak iOS 4.0 if, and ONLY if, you have SHSH on file for iOS 3.1.2. You can check if you do by using firmware umbrella. A tutorial for downgrading to 3.1.2 is found windows: here OSX: here Once your jailbroken on 3.1.2, jailbreak with sn0wbreeze following directions here Note: I recommend waiting for an untethered jailbreak that will be released as an updated version of spirit soon.

Ok so what if you have a iPhone 3GS with a OLD bootrom? You can jailbreak any supported iPhone iOS untethered, which means you do not have to rely on your computer to boot your iPhone. Tell if you have Old VS New with f0recast. Now before I say how, know that a device with an Old Bootrom can be restored to the factory clean copy of ANY firmware, all of which can be downloaded here. When you restore via iTunes it may give you an error at the end and kick you into recovery mode. Fear not, your iPhone is actually running whatever you restored it to iTunes just wont boot it, so instead close iTunes and boot it with RecBoot. That is how you restore to any firware without SHSH files. Note, this method only works with old bootrom devices.

To jailbreak your iPhone 3GS Old bootrom on iOS 4.0 you will have to do one of two things first, either downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak, or if your Jailbroken with spirit install the controversial spirit2pwn by adding the source iWOOWIZ Repo in cydia. Once one of those things are done a guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0 is found here and a guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 is found here.

Know that an untethered jailbreaks for all supported iDevices on the latest firwares is coming soon, so if you can wait I suggest do so. Otherwise, I hope I helped clear up some of the sonfusion.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frostbite For This Useful Post:

igoslo (07-22-2010), RetiredBilly (07-22-2010), smoocha (07-21-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I opened up cydia and I noticed I have this
    "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.3, 4.0" will it work?

WTF I feel like a genius I just got my self out of DFU and back on to 3.1.2 Jailbreak **** i'm smart :P
    Last edited by smoocha; 07-21-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Lol /and/ I told you how :P nice job.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your guide is incorrect. You can't downgrade any 3GS, no matter the bootrom, if you don't have SHSHs.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, I tried, but no go. iTunes (v9.2) reported that I was not able. I do have an old bootrom 3GS that is currently on iOS 4.0. Never been pwned, JBed, or anything else.

Would an earlier version of iTunes work?

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Your guide is incorrect. You can't downgrade any 3GS, no matter the bootrom, if you don't have SHSHs.
    Methinks this fellow is correct. The iTunes Restore Screen even tells you it is going to check with Apple....

Anyway, It didn't work for me. Too bad it can't be as simple as this thread suggests.
    Last edited by RetiredBilly; 07-22-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't work fo me either

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    No I am correct, in fact I have done it. The new bootroms are required IN THE HARDWARE to have apple signed SHSHs to boot. There is nothing you can do because its hardware. The old bootroms do not have this requirement, so iTunes will give you an error but you can still force boot it with recboot and your on whatever firmware you wish to be on.

I quote muscle nerd and the dev team

"Apple started putting a “soft” SHSH blob check in the firmware. The SHSH blob check is very real in the sense that if iTunes can’t get your blobs (because the Apple signing window has closed), the iTunes restore will error out. But it’s “soft” in the sense that those devices can always use redsn0w or PwnageTool to get past the error (the bootroms themselves for those devices don’t require blobs to be in the firmware files, unlike the newer bootroms)."

Dont believe me read the link: Dev-Team Blog - Blob banter

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredBilly View Post
    Well, I tried, but no go. iTunes (v9.2) reported that I was not able. I do have an old bootrom 3GS that is currently on iOS 4.0. Never been pwned, JBed, or anything else.

Would an earlier version of iTunes work?

Methinks this fellow is correct. The iTunes Restore Screen even tells you it is going to check with Apple....

Anyway, It didn't work for me. Too bad it can't be as simple as this thread suggests.
    Download 3.1.2 for the 3GS here once it is finished put the .ipsw on your desktop or wherever it is accessed easiest. Put your iPhone in recovery mode and launch iTunes. Hold shift on a PC or alt/option on a mac while you press restore and it will ask you to find your .ipsw that you just downloaded. Choose 3.1.2 and hit ok. It will restore but error out at the very end and reboot into recovery. This is OK it DID NOT FAIL. Now just close iTunes and open RecBoot, once open hit exit recovery mode and wait. Your iPhone will now boot into 3.1.2 I promise you. I literally just did this myself to double check.
    Last edited by Frostbite; 07-23-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post

"Apple started putting a “soft” SHSH blob check in the firmware. The SHSH blob check is very real in the sense that if iTunes can’t get your blobs (because the Apple signing window has closed), the iTunes restore will error out. But it’s “soft” in the sense that those devices can always use redsn0w or PwnageTool to get past the error (the bootroms themselves for those devices don’t require blobs to be in the firmware files, unlike the newer bootroms)."
    That quote and what musclenerd was talking about was Apples new signing process for the iPhone 3G. It does not have anything to do with the iPhone 3GS. As soon and you try to shift+click restore with an older fw on a 3GS you get a message saying "this device is not eligible for the requested build". That message comes before iTunes loads ANY part of the fw you are trying to use. The only way to get around this is to modify your hosts file to point to either saurik's server or your own computer.

If your saying your steps worked for downgrading your phone then one of two thing is true. Either your hosts file is directed to somewhere other than Apples server or your using a 3G not a 3GS.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 07-23-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    No I am correct, in fact I have done it. The new bootroms are required IN THE HARDWARE to have apple signed SHSHs to boot. There is nothing you can do because its hardware. The old bootroms do not have this requirement, so iTunes will give you an error but you can still force boot it with recboot and your on whatever firmware you wish to be on.

Dont believe me read the link: Dev-Team Blog - Blob banter

Download 3.1.2 for the 3GS here once it is finished put the .ipsw on your desktop or wherever it is accessed easiest. Put your iPhone in recovery mode and launch iTunes. Hold shift on a PC or alt/option on a mac while you press restore and it will ask you to find your .ipsw that you just downloaded. Choose 3.1.2 and hit ok. It will restore but error out at the very end and reboot into recovery. This is OK it DID NOT FAIL. Now just close iTunes and open RecBoot, once open hit exit recovery mode and wait. Your iPhone will now boot into 3.1.2 I promise you. I literally just did this myself to double check.
    I can "prove" it to you, using logic. Do you remember when Saurik started up his SHSH service? It was way back when the 3GS was first released. At that time, the new bootrom phones didn't exist and no one knew they were coming.

Now, if only old bootrom phones existed, why would he set up an SHSH storing service if SHSHs weren't required to downgrade?

As jkmonkey just said, the tweet from Musclenerd is about 3G phones and ipt2g old bootrom devices. Not the 3GS.

What you're describing in your guide is exactly what you'd do in a normal restore using SHSHs only you left out the part where the hosts file is edited. As for RecBoot, all it does is put you in/take you out of recovery mode.

Go check your hosts file, it'll have a reference to Saurik's server in there. Either that, or you have Umbrella running. In either case, SHSHs are needed to downgrade a 3GS, no matter which bootrom it has.

Just to add, once jailbroken, an old bootrom 3GS will accept custom firmwares of any version without needing SHSHs, but that's not what we're talking about here, as your guide says that you can downgrade from stock 4.0 which you can not.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.