Results 1 to 14 of 14

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: pc/itunes not seeing 3g. not charging either. help!

  1. #1
    Default pc/itunes not seeing 3g. not charging either. help!
    my gf bought a 3g from ebay. all worked well and i jailbroke it on ios4 and unlocked it. she had used it for 3 days before it came to charge it. (she mainly only uses it for texting)but when i plugged it into my pc theres no connection noises ect.. i looked in device manager for it and its not there. it wont charge from wall charger either. i opened it up and changed the dock piece under the battery for one i know that works and still no look?? could this be software based? seeing as i cant restore her phone im stuck. and yes ive tried putting it into dfu while connected to itunes. lol but... still no luck. when the phone came it had a iphone 4 charger and cable that the seller must of whacked in the box from there upgrade. could my girlfriend using the iphone 4 charger on the 3g had this effect? any help welcome. thanks

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Some where in the milkyway
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 127 Times in 115 Posts

    when you've tried to charge it has it been completely dead and did you give it 2-5 minutes to see it?

    Because DEAD DEAD iphones can take a couple of minutes to get some basic juice in them before they wake up
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

  3. #3
    No it doesn't charge!  at all!  battery still had 33% on it when tried connecting to pc or wall charger. it worked ok since we got it, about a week ago. But it came to charge it and sync it up and it's not having any of it! Can't work it out! Thanks anyway tho.
    Last edited by kingmodest; 07-15-2010 at 06:14 AM.

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Heartland of America
    Posts
    953
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    my gf bought a 3g from ebay. all worked well and i jailbroke it on ios4 and unlocked it. she had used it for 3 days before it came to charge it. (she mainly only uses it for texting)but when i plugged it into my pc theres no connection noises ect.. i looked in device manager for it and its not there. it wont charge from wall charger either. i opened it up and changed the dock piece under the battery for one i know that works and still no look?? could this be software based? seeing as i cant restore her phone im stuck. and yes ive tried putting it into dfu while connected to itunes. lol but... still no luck. when the phone came it had a iphone 4 charger and cable that the seller must of whacked in the box from there upgrade. could my girlfriend using the iphone 4 charger on the 3g had this effect? any help welcome. thanks
    If itunes can see the phone and you changed the dock sucessfully I would change the battery!

  5. #5
    basically you bought some junk

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    If itunes can see the phone and you changed the dock sucessfully I would change the battery!
    Lol alas.. Like the title of thread says pc/iTunes can't connect to iTunes. And won't charge either. Tried changing battery as original one was giving false readings. One min it's at 12% the next 36% and so on. The weird thing is that both dock connectors work when not in girlfriends phone. Which leads me to believe it's a software fault. I hope it's not a logic board fault as I think that's what's up with my old 3G! 

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmodest For This Useful Post:

    area51crypto (07-15-2010)

  8. #7
    What's Jailbreak? FCVegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    Lol alas.. Like the title of thread says pc/iTunes can't connect to iTunes. And won't charge either. Tried changing battery as original one was giving false readings. One min it's at 12% the next 36% and so on. The weird thing is that both dock connectors work when not in girlfriends phone. Which leads me to believe it's a software fault. I hope it's not a logic board fault as I think that's what's up with my old 3G! 
    My extra 3G with iOS4 jailbroken and unlocked has had this problem ever since I updated. It will be charging all night then after unplugging the battery will shoot down to 50% or under. Reboot the phone and it's at 100%. I agree the battery percentage is software fault.

    However, your charging issue sounds like water damage to me. I've seen a few phones like this. People will get some type of liquid in the phone and when it shuts itself off their first instinct is to plug in it. Naturally, it's going to cause a short.

    Have you tried using different sync cables, wall adapters, USB ports on the PC? It could be something that simple.

  9. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Heartland of America
    Posts
    953
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    Lol alas.. Like the title of thread says pc/iTunes can't connect to iTunes. And won't charge either. Tried changing battery as original one was giving false readings. One min it's at 12% the next 36% and so on. The weird thing is that both dock connectors work when not in girlfriends phone. Which leads me to believe it's a software fault. I hope it's not a logic board fault as I think that's what's up with my old 3G! 
    My bad as I read the context of the thread not as much the title!

    When you said everything worked, then you jailbroke the iphone did it charge at anytime since she got the iphone?

    If yes might just do a restore and rejailbreak!

    Quote Originally Posted by FCVegas View Post
    My extra 3G with iOS4 jailbroken and unlocked has had this problem ever since I updated. It will be charging all night then after unplugging the battery will shoot down to 50% or under. Reboot the phone and it's at 100%. I agree the battery percentage is software fault.

    However, your charging issue sounds like water damage to me. I've seen a few phones like this. People will get some type of liquid in the phone and when it shuts itself off their first instinct is to plug in it. Naturally, it's going to cause a short.

    Have you tried using different sync cables, wall adapters, USB ports on the PC? It could be something that simple.
    I have 2 3g and 1 3gs with Ios4 and never had a single problem other than the dev's updating their software!

    Although mine is not unlocked, might be something there!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 07-15-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FCVegas View Post
    My extra 3G with iOS4 jailbroken and unlocked has had this problem ever since I updated. It will be charging all night then after unplugging the battery will shoot down to 50% or under. Reboot the phone and it's at 100%. I agree the battery percentage is software fault.

    However, your charging issue sounds like water damage to me. I've seen a few phones like this. People will get some type of liquid in the phone and when it shuts itself off their first instinct is to plug in it. Naturally, it's going to cause a short.

    Have you tried using different sync cables, wall adapters, USB ports on the PC? It could be something that simple.
    yeah have tried all that my friend. even gone to the extremes of swapping part. again to no avail. i just dont know what to do am pulling my hair out!

    Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    My bad as I read the context of the thread not as much the title!

    When you said everything worked, then you jailbroke the iphone did it charge at anytime since she got the iphone?

    If yes might just do a restore and rejailbreak!



    I have 2 3g and 1 3gs with Ios4 and never had a single problem other than the dev's updating their software!

    Although mine is not unlocked, might be something there!
    you say you have 2g and 3gs with ios4 and jailbroke with redsnow 0.9.5b-55? if so have you ever removed the logic board? if so and still all working will you let me know. as i think its down to that at the mo!
    Last edited by kingmodest; 07-15-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #10
    if the computer doesnt see the phone and it worked threw a wall charger it would point to being a driver or computer problem... but seeing as it wont charge threw a wall charger either you would think its the connection in the phone... but you swapped that out lol

    are you using the same cable in the wall charger as you are to plug it into the computer.. if so does that cable work on another phone?? or have you tried using a different cable with the phone?

    only other thing i can think of is you could check here https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do to see if the phone is under warranty still.

  12. #11
    My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Heartland of America
    Posts
    953
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    yeah have tried all that my friend. even gone to the extremes of swapping part. again to no avail. i just dont know what to do am pulling my hair out!



    you say you have 2g and 3gs with ios4 and jailbroke with redsnow 0.9.5b-55? if so have you ever removed the logic board? if so and still all working will you let me know. as i think its down to that at the mo!
    No I said I had 2(two) 3g and 1(one) 3gs all on Ios4 and no problems, but I also stated that none of my iphones are unlocked might be something there! Did you use blacksn0w as I have heard a lot of problems there need to use ultrasn0w!

    Never had to take any part of any of my iphones apart so don't know about that! It be over my head! But if the iphone quit I would take apart if not just to learn!

    I use PWNAGE Tool on my iphones as I have both PC and Mac

  13. #12
    Thanks to all who helped but I finally found the problem on the (must be 20th time of stripping it) girlfriends 3G. There's 2 small resistors just above the right corner of connector 4 on the bottom left of logic board. And they broke away or burnt away. finally found problem but it's a nightmare that I can't fix it myself. Anyone know anywhere in uk that does logic board repair? That doesn't cost the earth?

  14. #13
    What's Jailbreak? FCVegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    Thanks to all who helped but I finally found the problem on the (must be 20th time of stripping it) girlfriends 3G. There's 2 small resistors just above the right corner of connector 4 on the bottom left of logic board. And they broke away or burnt away. finally found problem but it's a nightmare that I can't fix it myself. Anyone know anywhere in uk that does logic board repair? That doesn't cost the earth?
    Glad to see you found the issue but that's unfortunate. I don't know about the UK but I know here in the states, it's pointless to replace/repair a logic board. You can buy a whole new iPhone for less than the cost of a replacement.
    Friendly Computers.com
    Nationwide PC & iRepair Services

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FCVegas View Post
    Glad to see you found the issue but that's unfortunate. I don't know about the UK but I know here in the states, it's pointless to replace/repair a logic board. You can buy a whole new iPhone for less than the cost of a replacement.
    No found somewhere in uk that can fix the logic board. Told him the prob and he said he's seen that a few times. So 36 and it should be sorted. An hoping he can shed some light on other logic board that won't restore.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •