+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fring update brings iOS 4 VoIP

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
UPDATE 7/14: Nimbuzz is also iOS 4 ready, which I personally prefer over fring. Voice quality is better, the network seems more stable, and the UI is cleaner. Only fring
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Fring update brings iOS 4 VoIP
    UPDATE 7/14: Nimbuzz is also iOS 4 ready, which I personally prefer over fring. Voice quality is better, the network seems more stable, and the UI is cleaner. Only fring has video chat though.

ORIGINAL POST:
    Skype has officially been pwned on iOS 4. Fring released their iOS 4 app today, and it does what it says--including backgrounding for incoming calls. It even has video chat over 3G!

Fring to Fring is free, but you can sign up for an SIP provider and use Fring to make and receive regular calls through it . . .

It's not without bugs, but I have to give props to Fring for beating Skype to the punch (esp. since it was Skype who demo'd their iOS 4 app in April! WTF???)

This was the first time video chat really worked for me. It was surprisingly good over 3G--choppy, but not far from FaceTime over wifi.

For us iPhone 4 users without a jailbreak, this is one of our first cost-efficient VoIP options!

Last edited by wvcachi; 11-08-2010 at 03:01 AM.