Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 3G?

Default iPhone 4 3G?
    Sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm on my iPhone right now and can't seem to find the search button) but is anyone else having a problem of their phone losing 3G coverage? It seems that at random times 3G will turn off (even while enabled in settings) and will not come on until I restart the phone. It's not a coverage problem as I'm using it in the same place I used my 3GS and never ran into this issue.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

not had that problem at all. though it could be related to the reception issue. do you have a bumper/case?
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

No, but it doesn't really matter how I hold it. It just seems to turn 3G off for no apparent reason

There are couple of things that might be going on. Since the i4 has issues with the reception your i4 could be switching from 3G to edge [E]. Do you see like a E symbol where the 3G symbol was? Also at times there will be no 3G or E symbol but a o symbol.

yeah, the edge symbol comes up, but the weird thing is I don't lose any bars, and when I put the phone down, it doesn't switch back to 3G unless I cycle the phone off and on.

If your not getting a strong enough 3G signal the default will turn to edge. So you will see a full bar for edge. Have you tried other places to see if you get the same results? Not all phone are a like. Even if you did have the same model phones one might get better signal then the other.